Surrounded by fire

When I woke up, it was still daytime. It was snowing gently and steadily. It was a quiet day, the flakes were small and delicate, swirling in the wind. It was so peaceful yet I felt unsafe. Simon was still in deep sleep with his arms wrapped around me. But I eventually let myself out of his embrace without making any sudden movements and walked out of my bedroom.

Before I headed downstairs I decided to take a look at my parents' room. It was musty and dark, with cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and dust covering every surface. There was even a faint smell of mold in the air.

But there it was. Just next to their bed, the floor was stained with old blood. Memories flooded back. As if a knife had been thrust into my chest, I felt pain. Guilt and shame hung over me like a dark cloud. But my father deserved his death - he was constantly making fun of me, abusing me. From an early age, I had to face these kinds of challenges and no one was there to save me.

"You're alright, Y/N?" He once again appeared out of nowhere.

"You gotta stop doing that, Simon" I turned to see him standing just a few steps behind me.

"You weren't with me when I woke up. I thought something might have happened to you"

I gave him a slight smile but didn't say anything back.

"I care about you more than you imagine, Y/N" He offered a comforting hug, hoping to support me through that difficult time.

"Such a softie" I looked him directly in the eyes.

"But only for you" He then gently placed a kiss on my forehead.

After that, there was really nothing left to do. However, I had to finish something before leaving this place - I wanted to burn this house to the ground and get rid of my past for the last time.

...

I felt at peace as we stood outside facing the house engulfed in flames. The fire burned brightly and the heat was so intense, I could feel it from where I was standing. The smoke was so thick and black, I could hear the cracking of wood as the house continued to burn. As I heard the roof collapse I closed my eyes and let memories overtake my body. 

I could see myself running through the fields, laughing and playing with my brother. But I could also recall moments of constant abuse. I remembered the feeling of being alone and terrified, always trying to cover my bruises before going to school. The never-ending feeling of being trapped and powerless.

I then felt tears stream down my face. The emotions I had been bottling up for the past few days were finally released. Simon tried to wipe away the tears, but they kept coming, like an endless river.

Realizing that he cared so much about me made me cry even more. This feeling of warmth was something I had never experienced before meeting him.

Only then did I realize he had genuinely and deeply liked me since the first day our eyes met. Even though it always seemed like he hated me and wanted to kill me, there were still some moments of him showing affection. 

In the beginning, he would do small things, like sit close to me and listen to anything I had to say. Always cracking jokes around me and enjoying seeing me smile. Being clever enough to find little ways to make physical contact with me - touch my knee with his when sitting down next to each other, accidentally bumping into me.

Like a personal shadow, he would follow me around the camp, like a personal bodyguard he would never leave my side on the field. 

During those moments I was too stupid to realize we could be together and share our future.

After getting shot that night, we spent every possible second together. I once, when he was taking a shower, found a picture of me in his chest pocket. I was sure he looked at that photo during his missions, feeling and keeping me close to his heart.

I was treated with kindness, gentleness, and patience, but he was always harsh to others.

The man cruel enough to kill anyone was ready to spend his life with me and love me unconditionally. I knew that being so addicted to each other would lead to something terrible happening, but I tried to focus only on that moment. 

And as flames continued to shoot out of every window, we watched the last pieces of my past being destroyed.