The storm inside your mind

After an hour of driving, I realised that I had made a mistake. That I should have stayed at the enemy base and gotten some rest. But it was too late for me to turn back. I had no choice but to continue my journey.

However, when I felt that my body was on the verge of falling asleep, I decided to stop on the side of the road. I had never in my life felt so exhausted.

I was in the middle of nowhere. Just a lonely road, no buildings or forests in the area. Just me and my car.

I turned on the radio, thinking some music would distract me. I opened the window and lit another cigarette. The sun was already up. I checked the clock and it was half past seven. And even though I knew that no one drives there at this early hour, it was still too dangerous to stay that close to the main road.

I finished my cigarette. After analysing the whole situation, it seemed that the most logical plan would be to drive a few more miles. I hoped I would find some kind of shelter. But that was just as dangerous as doing nothing and waiting on the road. My eyes felt so heavy that I could barely see my fingers.

However, there was only one option left for me and it was to continue my journey. Unfortunately, fate had other plans in store for me. When I tried to start the engine, I had no luck.

"Fuck this piece of shit" I muttered. I tried again to start it, but nothing changed.

"Why does it always happen to me?" I felt rage building up.

Now I wasn't so concerned about how unsafe it was to be so visible in such a large area. Instead, I was worried about how I would be able to get back to my base. It was still a long way to go and that was rather frustrating. Walking such a long distance would have been the most foolish idea ever, or so I thought.

I stayed in my car for several hours since there was nothing I could do. I tried to get some sleep but for no reason I couldn't fall asleep. All I did was think about Simon and his reaction when he would finally see me.

Although the morning had started with bright sun and clear skies, I noticed storm clouds in the distance after I glanced to my left. And those were not just ordinary rain clouds. In "End of the World" books and movies these kinds of clouds are described and shown.

Seconds later, I became more than annoyed. How long would I have to stay in this car, I thought to myself. And even at that moment, I wished there was another person next to me. I wanted to see Simon like never before.

I finally turned off the radio. Music was getting on my nerves. Now I could clearly hear thunder, and a few minutes later the rain started to pour down on the windows. It seemed like the world had been drained of all colour. It didn't take long before the dark sky was lit up by lightning and then the rainfall became even more intense.

It had been such a long time since I'd seen such a heavy downpour. In fact, it was the type of storm that, just like me, was raging through the world bringing chaos and pain with it. 

Rain had always been one of my favourite things, that indescribable atmosphere it brings.

Leaning my head against the window, I listened to the music of the rain. I was looking longingly into the distance and my eyelids began to slowly droop - I had never felt so alone, so safe and so calm, when I was only with myself.

And then the most incredible idea came to my mind. I took off my top uniform. Only a simple blouse now covered my chest. As soon as I opened the door, I just let myself be touched by hundreds and hundreds of those water drops.

A few moments later, I was lying on the ground soaking wet and couldn't stop laughing because of the happiness I felt in my body. In all my life, I had never been so happy and relieved like that. It was so unique for me.