Chapter 11

Location: Base of the allied forces in Cameroon
Perspective: (y/n)

"Excuse me, sir?"
I don't look up, as someone stands behind the chair next to me.
Without a word, I motion him to sit down.
I keep chewing on the dry meat, before trying to swallow it down with some water.
LookLooking to my right, I see the guy who just sat down, scrolling through Instagram on his phone.
I sigh, as I think about Yeji. I wish I would be able to take my phone with me. I can't contact her, until I'm officially off the mission. I can't call or text her. I still don't understand why she couldn't be with me. Even if I return, I don't know if Yeji would even answer my calls.
I just wish I could hear her voice.

Suddenly I hear her singing. At first I think it's just in my head. But looking to my right, I finally see her.
The soldier next to me is looking at a video of Yeji and Chaeryeong in Christmas outfits dancing on stage.
I must have looked at his phone with a weird expression, because he puts it back in his pocket.
"I'm sorry, sir."
Taking a closer look at him, I recognize who he is. I saw him earlier, when we finally reached the base. The rain didn't stop, even in the morning it kept raining. The five of us were like sitting ducks, so we had no choice.
While it kept pouring, we left our vehicle and begun to pull it out of the mud. Ten hours later, we finally arrived at the base. Us and the car were barely distinguishable from the mud road we were driving on.

Since I met Yeji, the thought of her always helped me to get through those kind of situations. But after she broke up with me, it doesn't seem to have quite the same effect. I keep touching my pocket on my chest. A small folded picture of Yeji smiling brightly into the camera, is hidden there. I look at it every night, trying to imagine a life with only the two of us. No one else. Nothing that drives me away from her. Nothing that threatens the peace of this world.
Looking at the picture always helps falling asleep.
Taking my tray with me, I stand up and walk through the canteen.
I pass by a decorated Christmas tree. Someone put it there yesterday, but none of us are really in the mood for Christmas.
"Ready to go?"
Seahawk is standing next to me.
I nod and we leave for the armory.
From this moment forward, the unofficial part of our mission begins.

Location: Itzy's dorm
Perspective: Yeji

I keep checking my phone, but there is no reply yet. Is it too late already. I slump back down onto my bed, trying to figure out, what (y/n) might be thinking right now.
I send him a message, saying that I want to meet up. After the talk with Ryujin, I realized that the two of us need to spend as much time together as possible.
He hasn't told me that he had to go yet, but if he does, I'm sure I will be just as worried as if we were still dating. Of course I care about (y/n) just as much as before. I couldn't bare it, if he leaves now and never comes back, while thinking that I don't love him.
I hide my face in my pillow as I think about it. No. This can never happen.
I have to tell him the truth. I have to tell him, that I still love him. I have to tell him, that I don't want to break up.
Checking the message I send, I see that it wasn't read yet.
I furrow my brows. Why isn't he responding? I texted him this morning. I didn't expect him to answer immediately, but a whole day without anything?
Did he....?
I feel myself starting to sob. Did (y/n) already move on? No! He wouldn't do that!
But why else wouldn't he text me back?
Maybe he is too angry?
Should I visit him tomorrow?
I shake my head. No. I only know that he lives in some barrack. But (y/n) never told me where.
After a few more moments of hesitating, I decide to call him. I can't live like this any longer.
As it begins to ring, I hear Chaeryeong come into the room.
Once the phone rang a couple of times, I hear an automatic voice message.
"This cellphone is turned off, or out of reach. Please try again."
I check the time. It's evening, but it's not late.
(Y/n) never turns off his phone. Even if he is on vacation. He is always on alert, in case he gets an important call.
While calling him again, I tap my foot nervously. Maybe he blocked me or something?
"This cellphone is turned off, or out of reach. Please try again."
I'm about to call him again, when I suddenly freeze. No. This is not possible. Don't tell me (y/n) is gone again. I feel myself already tearing up, as I look up from my phone. Chaeryeong looks at me. She has a sad look on her face.
Please no.
I look at her. I want her to tell me that it's not true. That (y/n) is just out somewhere, having a good time with the other guys. That he didn't leave.
I wouldn't even care now if he is angry. As long as he is here and he is save.
I desperately look at Chaeryeong, but I can see her slowly shaking her head.

___________

Hey, everyone! As always, thank you all for reading and thanks for voting. I still can't believe, that this story reached over 30k reads. I'm so thankful for all of you.

I wish you all happy holidays and a great new beginning for the new year.
Have a nice day!