Chapter 9

Location: Cameroon
Perspective: (y/n)

"Stop thinking about her."
I ignore Panther, as I keep my eyes on the road.
"You can do that when we're back. Now we need your undivided attention."
I look at the heat waves above the sand as our KLTV gets closer towards the city of Mamfe.

I really am trying to put my personal feelings aside, until we are back at the base. But it's hard.
I still can't believe we left like that.
When I saw Yeji that day, I already knew that she cried. Her eyes were a little red. Once she told me, that she would break up with me, my heart felt like it has been ripped out. I still don't know where this is coming from. I asked her why, she wanted to break up, but she didn't answer. Yeji just said, that she couldn't be with me anymore.
The last thing I saw of her, was Yeji entering the van of her manager, before they drove off.
My flight took off twenty minutes later.
It has been a week since that day. A week since we landed in Yaoundé. I don't even know if Yeji realized that I'm gone once again.
Maybe that's the reason? Did she brake up with me, because she was always afraid that I would get hurt? Or did she hate that we weren't able to spend so much time together? Or that I sometimes have to leave without warning?
There are so many things, which don't make me boyfriend material. I just wish that Yeji would have told me, what it is exactly.
"Slow down."
Panther nudges me with his elbow.
I finally take my foot off the gas pedal.
Reaching the outskirts off Mamfe, the five of us become more cautious.
The deep forests didn't reach all the way up to the street, so it wasn't as dangerous for us.
But now buildings start to appear on our sites, blocking the view onto any possible danger. Passing a burned down house, I see four children climb through the ruins, searching for something to eat or sell.
"Keep your eyes open, Tiger."
Tiger is standing behind us, holding onto the M240 which is mounted onto our roof.
The situation in Mamfe is bad. Many people have fled into the nearby rainforest. Many children are roaming the streets, their parents either killed by separatists and Cameroon soldiers, or died of starvation. Because many of the local farmers are dead as well, barely any food is available.
This summer a hospital in Mamfe was burned down by the separatists. Now even less people can get medical attention.
We have been here before two days ago, while patrolling through the region. Now we are on our way back.
We were involved in enemy engagement several times through the last days.
Barely getting any sleep, we kept patrolling without a break for the last five days.
"Stop!"
I barely avoid the person who just jumped in front of the KLTV. We aren't driving fast, but I didn't stop. Coming to hold is too dangerous in the middle of a city.
"We need help! We are all starving!"
I watch the man scream through my wing mirror, as we keep driving. We can't stop. We don't have any food left ourselves. Plus, he might be an enemy, who is trying to lure us in.
I can feel Panther shift uncomfortably on the seat next to me.
"These people need help. He is right. They are all dying of starvation."
"I know. But we can't do anything about that right now."
On our way through the city, we see more people like that. Many stare at us, signs of starvation clearly showing. Some shout something at us, while others just hold out their hands.
Getting closer to the edge of the city, we are leaving most of the people behind.
"We are supposed to be back at the base in six hours."
Seahawk speaks up from behind.
"Don't worry. We are doing good so far."
I take a peek at the map, which is lying on Panther's lap. Two days ago, our navigation system failed, after we drove over a mine. Fortunately it wasn't one made for vehicles, but we still got damage. The navigation is off and we had to use our spare tyre to replace the damaged one on the front right.
"The road continues towards the North. We will have to use this one"
Panther points at one of the roads, which is only a fine line on the map.
"to get to the base. The highway we used five days ago is now under the control of the separatists."
I roll my eyes.
"I know how to read a map."
I'm just trying to stop myself from showing my discomfort. The road we will have to take, will be nothing more than a path of dirt through the forest. The chance of getting attacked is just as high as the chance at getting stuck in the mud.