Chapter 3

Location: Dnieper River
Perspective: (y/n)

"Are you sure this is gonna work?"
Panther looks at me.
"Of course. Has one of my ideas ever failed?"
I grin back at him.
His expression stays as cold as the weather.
"Yes. That's why I'm asking."
"Do you want me to check the temperature?"
Before I can reply to Wolf's question, Tiger steps in.
"Please don't. I already know I'm gonna freeze my ass off. I don't need to know how cold it is exactly."
I let out an evil chuckle.
"Getting cold feet?"
Ignoring me, Tiger walks up towards our small camp.
"If I knew this was going to happen, I would've brought my swimming trunks with me."
Seahawk follows Tiger after his cheeky comment.
"I trust you, Shadow. I'm sure this is gonna work out."
Panther is leaving the jokes aside as he walks closer towards the river.
"It's the safest way to get in."
I follow him.
"Russia controls the land around the power plant. If we just swim through the river we can get past their soldiers without getting seen."
Panther nods in understanding.
"And your back up plan?"
I give him a light shove.
"I can't spoil the surprise."

Seven hours and five freezing soldiers later:

"Stay quiet. Two at five a clock."
Panther warns us, before I even see the two Russian soldiers. Tiger crawls up to us and whispers.
"What's the plan now exactly?"
I look at Panther as well. He is the only one who read the whole sheet with the instructions.
"Shoot at everything that moves?"
Without a word, Panther aims with his rifle. The two dead soldiers drop towards the ground before any of us can protest.
"Kinda."
We leave our cover and run towards a car at the side of the road. Because we all have silencers on our guns and rifles no one heard Panther's shots.
"Anything else?"
"Damage the power plant so badly that the Russians can't use it."
Seahawk is about to speak up when Panther cuts him off.
"Without blowing it up."

Using the darkness of the night to our advantage, we get closer and closer towards the gate.
"Six guards."
Wolf reports back after checking what we are facing next.
"They look like they aren't expecting any trouble."
Panther looks at me from behind a tree across the street. I fumble with my equipment. He raises his radio towards his mouth.
"You ready?"
I nod before slowly leaving the cover behind the red pick-up. Leaning onto the truck bed, I position my sniper rifle.
My first shot takes out the camera above the gate. The soldier closest looks upwards. His body is thrown to the ground. Hit by the force off my bullet. The guy next to him screams before I take him down as well.
"Shit."
I duck down, as bullets fly my way. One of the other soldiers must have seen me.
I hoped we would get in undiscovered, but that ship has sailed. The rifles of the four remaining soldiers echo through the air.
"Cover me."
I don't wait for an answer before running towards the next car.
Because of the silencers, I don't hear the guys shooting, but I know I can depend on them. Peaking towards the gate, I see that another soldier has been shot.
Tiger confirms it.
"Three down. Three to go."
The remaining soldiers are firing at my brothers, making it easy for me to pick them off one by one.
"Let's hurry up."
I throw my sniper rifle over my shoulder before making my way towards the gate. The five of us reach it at the same time.
"This way."
We follow Panther, while walking along the wall.
"The door."
The door of the building a few meters away swings open. A couple of soldiers run toward the gate where we were standing a few seconds ago. We are covered by the shadows. None of us is moving while the soldiers run by.
Once they are out of sight, Panther gives the signal to run. We sprint towards the now open door.
Someone screams at us in Russian from behind, but we don't look back until we reach the door. As soon as Wolf as the last person gets inside, Tiger shuts it.
"What's the plan now? Get shot from the front and the back?"
Somewhere inside the building footsteps are coming closer.
Seahawk gives me my HK416 back, which he was carrying for me.
While Wolf and Tiger walk towards the end of the hallway and get in position, the rest of us stand by the door.
"Let's deal with the guys inside, first."
I walk up towards a metal table and throw off the stuff that's lying on it. The other two help me, carrying the table towards the door. We make sure it's blocked completely before following Tiger and Wolf.
The five if us enter a large room with all kind of boxes and containers.
"I don't know much about nuclear power plants."
Tiger points towards a big wooden box a couple of meters away. A Russian word is burnt into it.
"But I'm sure a box with " Explosives " written on it doesn't belong here."
I agree with him. This doesn't look good. But we have to focus on the enemy for now. The footsteps are coming closer. I see a door on the other side of the room. Looking around, I search for a good position to get an advantage.
"Let's split up."
Panther read my mind.
"We can hide behind different containers. If they have more of these boxes lying around, they won't be able to shoot blindly."
He turns to me.
"Already found a good position?"
I nod before pointing upwards.
"Let's go, everyone."
While the four of them split up, I run towards the stairs that lead to a small platform about ten meters above the ground.
As the soldiers come closer, I hear them shouting in Russian.
After walking up the stairs, I fall to the ground, getting into position. I check the ammo of my S&T Motiv K14 one more time, before aiming at the entrance. Through the scope, I see Wolf peeking around the corner.
For a while there is nothing else then the sound of boots running on metal floor in the distance. I try to control my breathing. I'm just lying on the platform, waiting for something to happen. I don't hear anything from the others. Closing my eyes for a moment, I try to guess how far away the soldiers still are. While I focus, other pictures flash through my mind.
I see Yeji standing in front of me. She waves at me while smiling brightly. Her smile makes my heart flatter as I run towards her. I can almost smell her scent, when I lean in to hug her. Yeji's arms wrap around my body, but she can't get all the way around. I rest my head on hers, before giving her kiss. Her cat like eyes sparkle with energy and love as she looks up. She giggles before opening her mouth to say something.
"They are breaking in through the door."