Chapter 5

Location: LA
Perspective: Yeji

I don't feel good about this. If it was him, he should have contacted me already.
I sigh deeply before taking another bite of my pizza.
I'm sure that (y/n) was involved in the incident with the power plant. I can't explain why. I just have that feeling. But if he was part of that, he should be home already. Right?
I now feel worse then before. Before I was able to fool myself into thinking, that he is doing something safer. Something like helping the refugees. Although I knew I was lying to myself, I believed that he would come back no matter what.

I'm only aware of my surroundings, once Ryujin tries to talk to me. I realize that there are barely any other guests in the restaurant. The loudest sounds I hear, are the chef shouting somewhere in the kitchen and the radio. I'm not really listening, but it seems like the news are on.
I focus my attention back to Ryujin.
"What were you-"
I stop mid sentence, when I hear two words over the radio. Two words that send shivers down my spine. Two words I never wanted to hear after what happened only last night.
"Nuclear explosion."
I feel myself starting to sweat. My heart starts to beat faster. Is this why (y/n) hasn't called me yet? Is he-?
I stop myself from thinking this far. No way. He must be fine.

Location: Ukraine
Perspective: (y/n)
27 hours earlier

I peek around the corner before I continue. The guys are walking behind me. We are on our way out of the facilities after having placed the explosives. After a couple of more doors, rooms and corners, we are finally at the front door once more. Although more Russian soldiers are roaming this place, trying to find us, we haven't been caught yet.
"I will start the timer."
While Tiger and Seahawk walk towards the door to check the outside, me and Panther cover Wolf. I concentrate on any movement in the building. But the only thing I hear is Wolf behind me punching away on a small keyboard.
"It's set. Ten minutes to get out of here boys."
"Then let's go."
We are about to catch up with the other two guys, when we hear gunshots.
"Fuck!"
We run towards their position. Coming around a corner, we can see them at the door. I hear the footsteps behind me too late.
"No!"
I only see Panther and Wolf falling. I immediately spin around. Another gunshot. I feel like someone punched me in the shoulder. Gritting my teeth, I aim at the two soldiers running towards us. I shoot the right one in the head. He stumbles to the ground. Moving my rifle towards the left guy, I pull the trigger. Me and the second guy shoot at the same time. I don't see him falling down when my right leg gives out. Drops of blood begin to spill onto the white marble floor. I only hear a thud and I'm lying on the ground. I don't know if that was me or the Russian.
"Shadow!"
I hear Panther's voice in the distance. Pain rushes through my body. It starts in my right shoulder and leg and begins to spread. I can't move my arm anymore.

In the background I still hear shots being fired. I can't let them die!
I grib onto my rifle desperately, as I try to push myself upwards. The pain in my shoulder becomes stronger. I can do this! I try to slowly stand up. When I put pressure onto my right leg, I almost fall again. I clench onto the wall next to me.

Only a meter away, I see Wolf lying on top of Panther. A bullet has torn a hole into Wolf's uniform"
"No!"
More blood is painting the once white floor red. Panther's eyes are open, but they glaze over in pain.
"Shadow."
Blood spills out of his mouth, as he tries to talk.
"Go."
I shake my head, but my good leg moves on its own. Slowly, I walk past the two bodies on the ground.
"I will take care of him."
Panther tries to smile, but he grimaces, when he shifts a little. The young man who took a bullet for him, is still lying there without moving. I can't see his watch with the time on it. Groaning in pain, I stagger towards the door. Has it been ten minutes already?
While walking away, I hear Panther whispering, his bleeding making it sound like he is talking under water.
"Come on, boy. What do you think you are doing? Get up."
I make my way along the wall. My vision becomes blurry. I can only hear the gunshots and feel pain. No other sensation gets through to my brain. With every step I take, it feels like someone is hitting my leg with a hammer. I can barely lift it off the ground.

Dots of different colours are moving in front of my eyes. I try to wave them away, but they won't budge. I shake my head. When I open my eyes, my vision becomes better. I can still see only blurs. But it seems like they are people.
Slowly, I raise my rifle. My eyes are almost completely shut, as I try to aim at anything.
A big spot is coming my way! I try to pull the trigger, but my finger doesn't respond. My whole arm is stiff and motionless. It's as if it's someone else's. The rifle becomes heavier and heavier in my hands.
I now feel pressure on my good shoulder, as if someone is trying to hold onto me. Trying to get away, I take a step backwards. My leg gives out once more. It's like I just stepped into nothing. I feel a pair of hands grabbing me, before sitting me down onto the ground.
I don't hear anymore gunshots.
Are the two of them alright?
I try to look up, but now my vision becomes darker. The colors start to fade.