30

"Why? What happened?"

Those three words changed my life as soon as I said them. They brought me closer to Yeji and at the same time they brought me further away.

Location: Han river
Perspective: (y/n)

"Did it taste good?"
Yeji nods, while giving me a bright smile. After going to the coffee shop two weeks ago, we kept going on dates. Now we are sitting on a blanket, facing the Han river. It was my idea to eat here and it was my idea to cook for her, until I remembered my cooking skills aren't those of a chef. That's why I asked Ye-jun for help. I'm not saying she cooked all of it. It was more like 50-50. It took quite some time and a few failed attempts. One of which including a burning duck. (I won't be going into detail for your own good.)
Yeji's smile makes me realize, that all the work wasn't for nothing. In fact, all of the dates we had were great. But I do think this one is the best.
After finishing the last bite, the two of us look at the city and it's reflection in the water.
"It's really beautiful."
"Like you."
She playfully slaps my shoulder.
"Stop it."
I can't help but smile.
I really enjoy these moments in public with her, because they are rare. Since she is an idol, it is really hard to be seeing each other, without anyone noticing. Of course you could say I'm her bodyguard. (Because I was.) But if the two of you are enjoying a candle lit dinner in a fancy restaurant, it isn't a great excuse. That's why we can't do everything that we want together. We either have to meet at her place, at mine, in the early morning, at night, or she has to wear some sort of clothing covering her face. None of those options are nice or comfortable. That's why we decided on meeting up when everyone is still sleeping. Like today. We came to the river to enjoy the sunrise while eating an early breakfast.

After checking the time on her phone Yeji sighs in disappointment.
"Looks like I have to leave now."
"Don't worry. We can hang out again soon."
"I know."
She says that, while looking at me. For some reason I can't look away. My eyes land on her cute cheeks. Her nose and her cat like eyes. And finally her lips.
Without realizing it, we both start to lean in. Suddenly a loud ringing tone comes out of nowhere. Yeji almost jumps in the air, while I lean back.
"Th-that's my phone."
She hastily types something and then looks away shyly.
"It was the alarm, so I would leave on time."
"Then you should get going."
I smile at her, while she stands up.
During the drive back to her dorm, the car was filled with awkward silence.
We were about to kiss and got interrupted. Now we have to sit it out, until she gets out of the car. It's not like I don't want to kiss her right now. To be honest, I wish I could just pull over and continue where we left of. But I know I couldn't. It isn't right. I really like Yeji and I really want to be with her, but I keep lying. I still haven't told her that I'm a soldier. Or that I'm in the special forces. Every time we get to my past or my job, I try to change the topic. I know she is worried about me, because I'm a bodyguard. She would probably have a heart attack if I tell her the truth. Of course she would kill me afterwards for not telling her.

Perspective: Yeji

I can't believe this almost happened! I keep playing with the hem of my dress, while looking outside the window. We were almost kissing! Now we're just sitting next to each other. In silence. Did I do something wrong? I thought he liked me. Maybe because my phone was ringing? I want to slap myself now ,for setting the alarm. I wish I hadn't done that. When I left the dorm it seemed like a good idea. Now it was a stupid mistake. I look at my hands. I hope he just stops the car and I can kiss him.
Right in that moment he changes lanes, until he is standing next to the road. Did he read my mind? I'm excited and prepare myself, when I hear it. Not my phone but (y/n)'s.
I look back outside in disappointment, while he gets his phone out of his pocket.
I suddenly realize something.
He usually doesn't have his ringtone on. Ever time someone called him before, his phone only vibrated. But now it was playing a tune. I'm about to ask, when I see the look on his face. He frowns while looking at the caller for a second.
After taking the call he starts talking.
"Here Shadow."
Seems to be about work.
"Yes, col-"
I see him looking at me through the reflection of the window.
"Yes, sir."
"Yes, sir."
"No I haven't."
"How do you-"
He sounds surprised.
"No. Nothing unusual."
"I will ask."
"Yes I will."
For a while he doesn't talk until:
"Why? What happened?"