343: Peace and quiet

December 9th - Prompt: Home alone

---------

Edmund was surprised to find Peter still fast asleep when he walked into his room to grab his coat which he'd accidentally left up there the day before.

They were all supposed to be going for a walk that morning, and Edmund had given Peter a shout when he himself got up, so to find his older brother, who was usually quite a morning person, still fast asleep, concerned even him.

"Peter?" He asked quietly, walking across the room to stand at his brother's bedside. "Pete? You awake?"

Peter didn't move at all.

Edmund bit his lip. Peter had been studying a lot recently, and he didn't need to be told to know he'd stayed up late on more than a few occasions.

He knew Peter was stressed with school, and he knew he hated it at the moment having only just come back from Narnia for good, and Edmund knew he was frustrated to be given homework over the Christmas holidays, so in the end he smiled weakly, grabbed his coat, left the room, and headed downstairs.

"Where's Peter?" His Mum asked, pulling on her own coat.

Edmund smiled a little. "He's still sleeping." He replied. "He's tired."

Helen stared at him for a moment, before nodding. "You better leave him a note if he's staying here then." She told him. "Let him know where we've gone."

Edmund nodded, and walked into the living room to scribble a quick note, before placing it on the coffee table. 

"Leave the house quietly," Helen said quickly as Susan opened the door. "Don't slam that door!"

------------------------

Peter woke with a frown.

Why was it so... quiet? 

Blinking back sleep, he rolled over in bed, glancing at the small clock on his bedside table. 

His eyes went wide in shock though when he saw that it was almost 12pm, and with a groan he rolled out of bed, grabbing his dressing gown and heading downstairs. 

"Hello?" He asked. "Anyone home?" 

He frowned when there was no answer, before he spotted a note on the coffee table in the living room.

Pete,

We went for that walk but didn't want to disturb you, you clearly needed the sleep, we'll be back around 1, see you then

Ed x

Peter smiled down at the note for a moment, before taking a deep breath.

Home alone? For a whole hour? 

With a content sigh, he walked into the kitchen to make himself a cup of tea, not even bothering to get changed, before he curled up on the sofa and grabbed the book he was currently reading.

After all, it was nice to have some peace and quiet.

--------------------------------