270: The Ghost of Winter - Part Two

September 27th - Prompt: Potion

------------

Edmund swallowed hard as Peter came running over, falling to his knees beside him and helping him to sit up.

"Are you alright?" Peter asked, sounding beyond worried.

Edmund slowly glanced back at the tree branch, taking a deep, shaky breath before nodding a little. "Yeah..." He whispered, but he sounded far from certain.

Peter stared at him for a second or two, before tuning to the bench. "What happened?" He murmured, gripping Edmunds shoulder.

Edmund coughed a few times, before biting his lip. "The - The wind picked up." He mumbled. "And the branch just fell..."

"It just fell?" Peter said, not sounding convinced at all.

Edmund hesitated. "But Peter-" He choked out. "There - There was snow. There was snow Pete, only a little bit, but it snowed."

Peter stared at his brother, eyes slightly wider than before. "You're sure?" He breathed.

Edmund nodded. "It was snow." He choked. "Peter, what if-"

"Don't Ed." Peter cut him off quickly. "Don't even say it."

"But there was snow!" Edmund cried. "It's only October Peter! It didn't start snowing until December last year!"

Peter took a deep breath. "Come on," He said. "You need to get back inside, you're shivering."

"I'm shaking." Edmund corrected him, but let him pull him to his feet and lead him back inside.

He walked in silence until he reached their room, before sighing and collapsing onto his bed. "Something's out to kill me." He grumbled.

Peter frowned. "What?" He mumbled.

Edmund raised an eyebrow, sitting up at looking at his brother. "I got locked into a room that sets itself on fire, and then a branch nearly falls on me and kills me." He explained slowly.

Peter stared at him, slowly shaking his head. "Don't be silly Ed." He muttered. "It was just a - a bit of bad luck."

Edmund sighed. "And the snow?" He murmured.

Peter didn't know what to say.

"Somsthings going on Peter." Edmund told him. "There's no point being in denial about it, it won't help either of us."

Peter hesitated, but slowly nodded. "You - You want me to talk to someone?" He asked. "Get their opinion?"

Edmund nodded. "Thanks." He breathed.

Peter smiled weakly, and after placing a gentle kiss to Edmunds forehead, he stood. "Wait for me here." He mumbled. "I won't be long."

Edmund nodded, and once his brother was gone he lay back down, curling up under the covers and eventually, to his surprise, actually falling asleep.

☆☆☆

Edmund didn't know how long later it was that he woke, but he did quickly realise that he was still alone.