299: I get that

October 26th - Prompt: Fun

------------

"Ed, you coming?... Ed?... Edmund!"

Edmund jumped, lowering his book and glancing at Susan, who had her eyebrows raised at him. "Yeah?" He asked slowly, swallowing hard.

"Are you coming?" Susan repeated.

Edmund frowned a little. "Coming where?" He mumbled.

Susan looked even more confused at this. "Down the beach, like we discussed earlier." She said. "We thought it would be fun to have a day off."

Edmund nodded slowly, but shook his head. "I think I'll pass." He breathed after a while.

Susan looked a little concerned. "You seemed up for it earlier." She told him. "Agreed it would be fun."

Edmund stared at her for a while, before taking a deep breath. "Yeah well, I'm tired now." He murmured. "I'd prefer to just sit here and read."

Susan sighed, but nodded. "Alright." She replied. "You know where we'll be if you need us."

Edmund nodded, and Susan smiled weakly, before turning and heading off downstairs, finding Peter, who was heading for the door.

"There you are." Peter said with a bright smile. "Come on, Lucy's already down there... Where's Ed?"

Susan frowned a little. "He said he wasn't up for it anymore." She said slowly.

Even Peter looked confused by this. "He seemed all up for it earlier, even said he would go swimming with Lucy." He said.

"That's what I said to him," Susan said with a shrug. "But he said he'd changed his mind and would rather sit and read his book inside."

"Did he seem okay?" Peter asked.

"He seemed quiet, but he did say he was tired so maybe that's why." Susan replied, before shrugging. "I'm sure he'll be okay."

Peter nodded. "Alright," He breathed. "Well you go out with Lu, I'm gonna go grab my book."

Susan nodded. "And check on Edmund." She added as Peter went to walk away.

Peter hesitated, before nodding a little, but he didn't say anything as he headed off up to his room.

He grabbed his book, before heading next door to Edmunds room, where he stopped outside and knocked gently on the door.

"Yeah?" Came Edmunds voice from inside.

Peter opened the door, and smiled at his brother, who was sat on his bed with a book on his lap.

"Peter..." Edmund said slowly.

Peter nodded. "Just wanted to check you were okay?" He said. "Susan said you're not feeling up to the beach anymore."

Edmund shrugged. "Not really no," He breathed. "But I'm fine, honest."

"You said it would be fun earlier." Peter mumbled as he wandered over and sat next to his brother.

"I'm just tired." Edmund told him.

Peter stared at him for a while, before Edmund turned, locking eyes with his brother, who looked slightly concerned.

Edmund hesitated for a long while, before letting his book go and curling into Peter's arms, burying his face against his chest.

Peter didn't quite know what to do for a moment, after all Edmund usually wasn't the one to hug someone, but he eventually pulled him close. "What's wrong?" He mumbled.

Edmund hesitated, but in the end he swallowed hard. "I - I don't know." He choked.

Peter sighed, nodding slowly. "I get that." He whispered, resting his cheek on the top of Edmunds head.

"Can - Can you stay for a little while?" Edmund asked quietly, voice slightly muffled against his brother's shirt.

Peter chuckled softly, nodding his head with a gentle sigh. "Of course."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆