200: More than you'll ever wrap your head around

July 19th - Prompt: In case you don't live forever

-----------

In case you don't live forever let me tell you now, I love you more than you'll ever wrap your head around.

"Tell me he's gonna get better." Peter choked, holding a damp cloth to his brother's burning forehead.

The healer, who had been checking him over for the fifth time, sighed sadly and glanced up. "It's not looking good your majesty." He told him, sounding worried. "The wounds he holds are already infected. The infection on top of the poison is irreversible I'm afraid."

Peter ran a hand through his hair, blinking back tears. "There's no cure for the poison?" He choked. "None at all?"

"This type of poison was made from a deadly flower." The healer told him. "Whoever gave it to him knew exactly what they were doing, and exactly which poisons didn't have a cure."

Peter swallowed hard. "He can't die." He whispered. "He can't, not like this."

The healer was silent for a moment, before taking a deep breath. "I would recommend saying goodbye." He said quietly. "And I will send word to your sisters, that if they wish to see their brother again they should hurry back."

Peter watched him leave, his heart pounding, before he squeezed his eyes shut.

"Peter."

His head snapped down when Edmund spoke, to see his brother, eyes half open and tears in them. "Eddy." He whispered.

Any other time Edmund would've told Peter off for using the nickname when Edmund was seventeen, but he only smiled weakly. "You - You knew I couldn't live forever." He whispered.

Peter looked terrified. "Yeah, but I didn't think you'd die at the age of seventeen!" He cried.

Edmund sighed. "I've accepted it." He choked. "From the minute I was given that poison, I knew."

"I - I rescued you Ed." Peter choked. "I saved you, you're not supposed to die, because I rescued you."

"Peter listen to me." Edmund choked weakly. "Say goodbye, you'll regret it if you don't."

Two tears slipped down Peter's cheeks, and he shook his head.

Edmund coughed a few times, whimpering quietly before swallowing hard.

Peter soothed him after the whimper, sighing softly and placing a hand to the top of Edmunds head, still holding the cloth in place to give his brother some relief from his burning skin.

"I am going to die Peter." Edmund whispered after a moment. "You know that as well as I do. You just won't accept it."

"No!" Peter cried. "I won't accept that my baby brother is going to die."

"Peter Pevensie shut up." Edmund growled, but it had no real force behind it, he was too weak. "You know deep down - you need to say - say goodbye, so do it, or you'll hate yourself forever."

Peter swallowed hard, "Please." He whispered.

Edmund took Peter's hand and gripped it tightly in his own, taking a deep, shaky breath. "I - I haven't got much time left." He murmured. "I'm weak Peter, too weak, so please, please, I'm begging you, please."

Peter was trembling a little, before he swallowed hard and gripped Edmunds hand tightly. "Alright." He murmured, voice shaking as he spoke. "In - In case you don't live forever." He started. "I love you more than you'll ever wrap your head around. You mean more to me than anything, I know sometimes you probably don't think that-"

"Don't be silly." Edmund whispered.

Peter smiled weakly. "Point is I love you." He whispered. "Life without you, just wouldn't be worth living."

"Promise me you'll carry on?" Edmund said desperately, his voice sounding weaker at every word. "Promise me Peter."

Peter lowered his gaze. "I - I'll try." He murmured.

Edmund seemed to be choking suddenly, and Peter looked terrified. "Good - Goodbye P - Peter." Edmund whispered. "I - I love you - you more - more than you know."

Peter could only watch as Edmund's eyes slipped shut, his breathing stopped, and his head fell against his shoulder.

The pain that consumed Peter was beyond anything he'd ever felt before, and he lay his forehead against Edmunds chest.

"E - Everything I - I am today was because - because of you." He choked, eyes squeezed shut. "I - I love you Eddy. More - More than you'll ever wrap - wrap your head around."

☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡☆♡