TWENTY SEVEN

"This is all his fault." Wanda snarls, pacing the long hospital hallway with her arms crossed tight over her chest.

Bucky pinches the bridge of his nose, Leaning his head back against the wall as the vain in his forehead throbs.

"It's not Sam's fault, Or if it is Sam's fault, It's all of our fault." He sighs.

"Excuse me?" Wanda snaps, charging up to stand only a few feet short from his face.

"Sam convinced her to come back, We let her, She chose too, Stev-"

"Nearly fucking killed her!"

"Yes. He did." He snaps back, Scowling down at her as she tosses her arms open.

"Then why are you fucking defending him?!"

"I'm not defending him, I'm defending Sam. Because even with as pissed as I am, I know and you should know too, That if you kill either of them, Anastasia will never forgive you. So take a minute and try to think rationally." He reasons, tossing his opened palms to the side mimicking her.

Wanda spins on her heel with a frustrated groan leaving her lungs.

~

Sam strolls out of the hospital room a few minutes later, Following the long checkered tiles until he finds Bucky and Wanda in the seafoam green waiting room, both holding to-go cups that no doubt hold coffee given the strong scent hitting him.

Their attention shoots up at Sam as he enters and begins to speak,

"Annie's on the phone with Bruce but she asked that I send Bucky in next, alone."

"How is she?" Bucky asks, eyeing Sam cautiously.

"Honestly?" Sam shifts his gaze between Bucky's beaten face and Wanda's sniffling nose before he continues,

"Better than the rest of us, I think."

~

With Sam out of the room, Anastasia quickly scrolls her finger over his cracked phone screen until she finds Steve's contact, immediately starting a call.

Eight excruciatingly long rings later, She's met with silence on the other end.

"S-Steve, It's me..." She croaks out, tears rising in her throat.

Steve grimaces on the other end, covering his mouth with his shaking hand as he absorbs the pain in her voice.

"Stevie... this wasn't your fault,". She babbles,

"I'm not calling to scream or...or to fight or anything..." Her heart pounding harder with every passing second of suffocating silence,

"Steve, are you there?"

I can't hurt you again, Sweetheart...

"Please say something..." Her voice cracks as it fades to a a whisper.

His heart shatters, Gripping the bathroom sink with his bruised knuckles.

Repressing his emotions so that she doesn't hear.

"Fine..." She sniffles down her tears,

"I just wanted to tell you that... And that I don't blame you... But... Wanda is here... And shes pissed... So I-I..." She claws at her chest beneath her hospital gown, her body fighting to keep the words in.

"So I think it's best if you don't come near us... Just for a little while... I don't want anyone else getting hurt... including you..." She pleads.