22|| Past is Prologue

My father's words, always seemingly so sharp felt somehow warm today.

•|•|•|•|•

Somto got Mercy to pick up Chisom and drop her in the house with the nanny to take care of her. Chisom's mother was an absentee mother who didn't care about her after she got money from Somto.

Somto arrived home and checked his daughter in her room. "Hello?" He knocked and opened the door.

"Daddy, you are back" Chisom smiled and Somto entered the room. He sat on her bed and hugged her.

"Yes, how are you? How was school today?" Somto asked. "Have you done your assignment?"

"I'm fine, school was okay and I did all my assignments, aunty Alice helped me with them" Chisom said brightly and Somto smiled.

He talked a bit more with his daughter before they both went to bed. He had no one left but her. His mom died years ago when he was a teen and his dad died after giving him the company.

Chisom was all he had after Simi left him and he couldn't imagine life without her. He loved his daughter.

At a bar, Tamara and Sienna met up. "Good, don't accept his apology just yet. He needs to know how it felt" Sienna simply said.

"Wow, I though you would say to accept him" Tamara said surprised, "you are always defending him when he isn't here but you pretend not to when he is around."

"I'm just being practical here" Sienna said and drank her beer.

Tamara took the beer. "Don't you have a case tomorrow? Andrew won't be happy if you mess it up" she said and Sienna grunted.

"You're right but I am so upset. Ethan is hiding something from me and doesn't want to talk" Sienna said full of frustration.

"Maybe he isn't ready?"

"He knows everything about me, what is so special about him that I can't know?" sienna said huffily and crossed her arms.

"You're dating him, aren't you?" Tamara deadpanned.

"What? Nooo" Sienna weakly denied and Tamara clapped excitedly.

"I'm so happy for you. You did well Sienna, I wish you a happy relationship" Tamara said excitedly and Sienna tried to hide her smile.

The next day, Sienna went to court and Somto came to the building for the second meeting. He saw Ethan but this time, they ignored each other.

Close by, Jaws was in a car taking pictures and identifying himself with his prey's habits.

After the meeting, Somto was about to leave but he glanced at the building and changed his mind. He went back in and found the floor Ethan worked.

"Good afternoon, I want to see Ethan Diribe" Somto said and Debo directed him to Ethan's office. Everyone's gaze followed him till he disappeared out of sight.

"That was the same man that Ethan talked to yesterday" Sharon said surprised and the lawyers began to wonder if it was anything serious.

Debo brought Somto to Ethan's office and Ethan looked surprised. His face soured and Debo left the office. "What are you doing here? I thought we agreed to ignore each other" Ethan said upset.

"I just wanted to see you once, and to tell you that we should meet. To talk" Somto said softly, dropping his business card.

"About what?" Ethan said harshly.

"You know what it is about, just try and call me, let's talk" Somto gently said and turned around to leave.

"Damn it" Ethan cursed, flicking the business card to the ground.