Part 45~Herbalist

Walking around the camp, Hachi smiled at the peaceful morning. The birds were singing. The breeze rustled the trees. If you listened carefully you could hear the river trickling down the hill.

Pausing, Hachi frowned. "Somethings wrong... Why isn't Isu attacking us?" Walking back to the tent, Hachi looked around, spotting Isu curled up in a ball, coughing. "Oh, no."

Screaming, Hachi ran from the ten crashing into Zuko. "Hachi, what's wrong?"

"The worst thing ever. Isu is sick."

~~~

Groaning, Isu curled in on herself as Hachi gently pressed a cold rag to her forehead. "This should bring your fever down."

"Fight me, bitch." Isu struggled as Hachi smirked, glad he restrained her before she woke up.

"After breakfast." Hachi ruffled Isu's hair as she growled, her eyes narrowing.

"Breakfast sounds nice."

Hachi backed away, leaving Isu to rest.

"How's Isu doing?" Katara paced back and forth, worry clear on her face.

"Not so good, being out in that storm really did a number on her. Isu's always had a weak immune system, one of the reasons we think she's angry so much. How's Sokka?"

"He's not much better."

"I couldn't find any ginger root for the tea but I found a map." Iroh walked in, the map in his hand. "There's a herbalist institute on top of that mountain. We could probably find a cure for Sokka and Isu there."

"They're in no condition for travel. They just need more rest. I'm sure they'll be better by tomorrow." Katara couldn't finish, coughing taking over.

"Not you too."

"Relax, it was just a little cough, I'm fi-" she couldn't finish her sentence as the coughing started again.

Hachi gasped, stepping away. "That's how Isu started yesterday. Now, look at her! She thinks Pickle is an angry cloud!"

"Quit glaring at me, blood cloud." Isu glared at Pickle who backed away very slowly.

"And Sokka thinks he's an Earthbender," Zuko added in amusement, watching Sokka flailing his arms around.

"Exactly, a few more hours and you'll be talking nonsense, too. I'm going to go find some medicine!" Hachi crossed his arms over his chest, making Zuko laugh.

"You're just scared of Isu."

"Am not! She's just extra mean when she's sick." Hachi shook his head, taking the map from Iroh as a flash of lightning struck in the distance. "Nope, not going to stop me."

Iroh smiled, placing a hand on Zuko's shoulder. "Maybe you should go with him, I'll stay here with the sick ones and keep an eye on them."

Zuko nodded, charging after Hachi as they made their way up the mountain.

~~~

Slowly entering the greenhouse, Hachi looked around, finding the old lady. "Hello, I'm sorry to barge in like this but I need some medicine for my friends, they have fevers and they were coughing-" Hachi stopped as the Herbalist smiled, speaking over him.

"Settle down, young man. Your friends are going to be fine. I've been up here for over forty years you know, used to be others but they all left years ago. Now it's just me and Miyuki." The lady stroked her cat, receiving a soft purring in return for her effort.

Sharing a look with Zuko, Hachi shrugged his shoulders. "That's nice."

"Wounded Earth Kingdom troops still come by now and again, brave boys and thanks to my remedies they always leave in better shape than when they arrived." The lady pulled plants, putting them in her bowl.

"Brave people. Are you almost done?"

"Hold on, I just need to add one last ingredient." The herbalist walked around the shrubbery, muttering to herself as Zuko slapped his forehead.

"Can you please hurry up? I'm not sure how long my uncle can keep Isu from doing something dumb."

The Herbalist jumped up with a scream. "Plum blossoms!" She plucked the flower from the tree, making the others smile. She dropped the flower into the mixture, Zuko grabbing it from her hands.

"Thanks for all your help!"

Before Zuko could move, the herbalist hit his hands away, yanking the bowl back. "Hands off! What do you think you're doing?" The Herbalist lifted her spoon above her head, readying to hit Zuko again.

"Taking the cure to my friends."

Laughing, the Herbalist lowered her low danger weapon. "This isn't a cure! It's Miyuki's dinner. Plum blossom is her favourite."

"What about our friends?"

"Well, all they need are some frozen wood frogs. There's plenty down in the valley swamp."

Looking to each other for guidance, Hahci and Zuko shared yet another confused expression. "What are we supposed to do with frozen frogs?"

"Why, suck on them of course!"

Coughing, Zuko gagged from the idea. "Suck on them?"

"The frog skin excretes a substance that will cure your friends. Be sure to get plenty because once those little critters thaw out, they're useless!"

Gulping, Hachi opened his mouth. "You're insane aren't you?"

Laughing maniacally, the Herbalist nodded. "That's right! Well, don't stand there all day! Go!"

Fleeing from the insane women, Hachi and Zuko ran back into the ever-worsening storm. Shivering, Hachi rubbed his arms, trying to whip off the excess rainfall as Zuko wrapped an arm around him, heating him up.

"Thanks, Zuko." Hachi smiled, pushing his hair back as Zuko chuckled.

"Any time. Now, let's get those frogs." Zuko stepped forward, an arrow coming out of nowhere and pinning him to the ground. "How strange." As Zuko went to pull the arrow out, more came, Hachi hitting the arrows to the side. Zuko pulled the arrow out with a confused expression. "I think you dropped this."

Archers stepped out of the bushes, their bows pointed at them. Zuko's eyes widened as he grabbed Hachi's hand.

"Run. Run!" Turning around, Zuko pulled Hachi behind him. They ducked and dodged around the trees, screaming as they fell off the edge of a cliff and into a deep swamp.

"Zuko! A frog!" Hachi jumped up, grabbing all the frozen frogs he could, Zuko barely got two when the arrows were coming again. Zuko held up an air wall, letting Hachi get more frogs before he faltered. The arrows found their weak spot, hitting Zuko to the floor.

Hachi screamed, hopping away as he turned to grab Zuko. He cursed as he was forced to stop. "I'll be back for you."

Zuko nodded. "I know you will be. Now go!"

Hachi turned his gaze away from the most important person as he made his escape.