Part 33~Shyu

Humming to herself, Isu watched the sea. Zuko yawned, leaning back when something caught his eye. "Hey, Isu. We're being followed."

Leaning back, Isu spotted the one that Zuko was talking about. "Hajime!"

"How do you know it's him?"

"You kidding? I know that bison anywhere. It's Spots." Pulling on the reins, Isu made Crono move faster, approaching the fire nation blockade. "Oh, no. This is not going to be an easy flight."

Ducking under the projectile, Isu spun out the way.

"This is not good. If the fire nation captures me then my father will have my head. I am not ready to tackle him yet." Zuko panicked, shaking his head.

"Zuko! Snap out of it! If we fly North we can go around the Fire Nation ships and avoid the blockade! It's the only way."

Looking between the ships and the angry Airbender behind them, Zuko took in a deep breath. "No. There's no time! Let's run this blockade!"

"Oh hell yeah! Corno, yip-yip!" Isu leaned forward, ducking under the catapult.

Looking up, Zhao couldn't believe his luck. "The Airbender! And the banished prince. This must be my lucky day."

"Commander Zhao. What are your orders?" The captain of the ship turned to Zhao.

"Shoot the bison down, captain." Zhao grinned as he turned to the staff. "Launch!"

The sky became littered with fireballs, lighting up the sky. Screaming, Isu ducked and dived out of the way. Yelping, she coughed as one blew up in front of her. She desperately patted Corno's fur, putting out the embers. "You okay girl?!"

Roaring, Corno did not look happy, flying higher and out of reach. Gripping the reins, Zuko screamed as Corno did everything to avoid the many fireballs closing in on them.

"Come on, a little longer!" Isu watched the sea, taking in a deep breath. "Dive!"

Sharply diving down, Corno barely pulled up before hitting the ocean. Zuko screamed in horror, almost falling out of the saddle.

Narrowing his eyes on the duo, Zhao motioned for the catapult to be reloaded. "Fire!"

As the fireball came closer, Isu took in a deep breath, folding the air around her to hit the boulder, exploding it before it could reach them. Screaming, Isu almost was blasted from Corno's back when Zuko caught her and brought her back into the saddle. Corno soared through the blockage and out the other side.

Cheering, Isu punched the air, hopping forward as Zuko fell back to his knees. "Now I know why Hachi told me not to let you drive."

Chuckling, Isu couldn't care less, taking the reins and leading them away. Hajime wasn't as lucky as he was taken down and pulled out of the water, Zhao glaring at him. "Hello there. I think it's time we have a little chat, Airbender."

~~~

As the sun started to set, the island came into view. "Zuko, wake up." Isu hit Zuko with her air, snapping him out of his sleep. "Please tell me that's it."

Zuko peered over her shoulder, seeing the familiar island. "Yeah, that's it. That's the island Roku's dragon took me to."

"Fang. The dragon's name is Fang." Isu rolled her eyes as Zuko stared at her in confusion. Corno slowly descended, landing at the base of a stone bridge leading up to the island's mountain.

The fire temple stood out, elegant with lava flowing around. The air was thick with steam as Isu and Zuko hopped off Corno's back.

"You did well, girl, take a break." Corno was more than glad to comply, rolling onto her side and sticking out her tongue.

Slowly walking to the temple, the two shared a look. "Where are the guards?" Zuko looked around as Isu sighed.

"The Fire Nation must have abandoned the temple when Avatar Roku died. I'm surprised it's not in ruins." Isu hopped over the lava, approaching the wall.

"It's almost sundown. We better hurry!" Leaping over the wall, Zuko and Isu charged for the front door.

Stepping along the corridor, Isu paused. "Wait, I think I heard something." Isu held out her hand, stopping Zuko.

Turning, they were jumped by five men dressed in red with tall hats. "We are the Fire Sages. Guardians of the temple of the avatar."

Zuko straightened up, coughing awkwardly. "Um, hi. I'm the current avatar."

"We know."

"Really? That seems an unpopular opinion." Zuko scratched the back of his head as the fire sages lifted their eyes, punching forward as fire almost hit Zuko. Isu pushed him out the way, gasping.

"I don't think they like you. I'll hold them off. Run!" Isu hit her foot down, breaking the ground as she threw the rocks at the sages. Zuko gasped as he ran. Isu deflected their fire attacks, hitting back into the wall. Charging after Zuko, Isu grabbed Zuko with a scowl. "You suck at running."

"If the avatar contacts Roku, there's no telling how powerful the boy will become! Split up and find him!" The great fire sage ordered the others out, rushing after Zuko and Isu.

"Follow me!" Zuko spun down the hallway as Isu rushed after him.

"Do you know where you're going?!"

"Nope! Wrong way!" Zuko skidded to a halt, running back as someone else appeared.

"Come back!" The person ran after Zuko as Isu narrowed her eyes, reading to hit him. "I don't want to fight you! I am a friend!"

Spinning around, Isu knocked Zuko's feet from under him, letting the man catch up.

"Why did you do that?" The man gasped, leaning over on himself.

"I know you. You're Shyu. Can you help us?"

Shyu nodded though he kept an eye on Isu. "Yes, I can. Follow me." Shyu slid a lamplight on the floor, pressing his palm on the wall. A secret passage opening up. "This way."

Running into the passage, Zuko looked toward Isu. "Why exactly are we trusting him?"

Smiling, Isu folded her hands behind her head. "He looks like his grandfather."

Shyu blinked. "You knew my grandfather?"

"Only by books. He was good friends with my grandfather. One of the many people who would visit the last Airbending avatar." Isu grinned as they walked through the tunnels. "Hey, Zuko, did you know that Roku used to live here and he formed these secret passages out of the magma?"

"You know a lot about Avatar Roku." Shyu watched Isu as she laughed.

"Of course. I was trained to train him. I needed to know."

Shyu led them out, seeing a massive door. Dragons circled around it, five mouths opened and facing them.

Gasping, Shyu shook his head. "No!"

Zuko tilted his head in confusion. "What's wrong?"

"The sanctuary doors, they're closed!"

"Can't you just open them with Firebending? Like you opened that other door?"

"No. Only a fully realised Avatar is powerful enough to open this door alone. Otherwise, the sages must open this door together with five simultaneous fire blasts."

Huffing, Isu glared at the door. "That's annoying. How do we open it?"

"We can't!"

"Don't tell me that..." Isu narrowed her eyes, a mischievous smirk on her face. "I have an idea."

Gulping, Zuko paled. "Oh, no. I should have just let Hachi kill me."