Part 4~Zhao

"Again."

Zuko spread open his arms in the direction of the two fire benders, showering them with flames. The fire benders blocked the attacks with ease as Zuko shifted his weight to duck under.

Charging forward, the fire bender to his right jumped forward to aim a shot at Zuko's feet. The prince launched out of the way, twisting mid-air as the air heated behind him.

Redirecting the fire from the air right into the other's chest, Zuko defeated them both. The fire benders ducked out of the way. Zuko landed, stretching out his fists to prepare for another attack.

Sighing, Iroh stood up. "No!" Zuko lowered his arms, looking at his uncle in shock. "Power in fire bending comes from the breath-" Iroh motioned his hands to show the 'breathing'- "not the muscles." Iroh stretched his arm as if she was sending a fire blast. "The breath becomes energy in the body. The energy extends past your limbs and becomes fire!"

Fire burst from his hand evaporating just before it could scorch Zuko.

"Get it right this time."

Suppressing his anger, Zuko walked towards his uncle. "Enough! I've been drilling this sequence all day. Teach me the next set! I'm more than ready!"

"No, you are impatient. You have yet to master your basics. Drill it again!"

Zuko clenched his teeth in anger. He turned around sharply, directing a powerful fire kick towards one of the soldiers. The fire bender attempted to stop the fire blast but he was unable to as he was thrown back by its power.

"We're finally going home, uncle! My fire bending must be up to scratch when we go back!"

Uncle reluctantly stepped down. "Very well. But first, I must finish my roast duck!"

~~~

Iroh hummed as he walked down the corridor. He stopped in front of the door, pulling it open. Isu glared at him from the floor, her arms still tied up. "Let's get those off you."

Isu raised her eyebrow as Iroh freed her arms and mouth. "You're mad."

"Nope, I trust you."

"Why?"

"Because if one lives without trusting anyone, then one couldn't live. Pai Soh?" Iroh brought out the board. Isu chuckled, this man was weird.

~~~

Zuko stood on the deck, glaring as they pulled into the dock. "Uncle, hurry up. I want the ship stocked up and ready to go as quickly as possible. I don't want to stay too long and risk losing him."

Iroh lifted his head slightly. "You mean Hachiro?"

Turning sharply, Zuko screamed at him. "Don't say his name! He is the enemy!"

"He is a boy. A very kind boy with a sweet sister."

"They are the enemy Uncle! Don't get cosy with them!"

Zuko and Iroh were interrupted by the new voice floating across the dock. "With who, Prince Zuko?" Zhao stepped into Zuko's eye line, his hand held behind his back.

Zuko crossed his arms in anger, not happy at all. "Captain Zhao."

"It's commander now. And General Iroh; Great hero of our nation." Zhao bowed to Iroh.

Iroh bowed back politely. "Retired general."

"The fire lord's brother and son are welcome guests anytime. What brings you to my harbour?"

"We are restocking before a long trip." Iroh chuckled lightly as the men started to bring on the different supplies they had been sent out to collect.

Raising his eyebrow, Zhao eyed up the crates. "That's quite a lot of stock. Where are you going?"

Zuko opened and closed his mouth, his mind running. He couldn't risk Zhao taking Ha-the avatar and the credit that came with that. "Uncle! Tell Commander Zhao where we are going!"

Iroh's eyes widened in surprise. "Yes. I will do that." He threw up his hands excitedly. "It's going to be incredible! We're going to go east on a trip of relaxation in the Earth kingdoms."

"Right the Earth Kingdoms!"

Zhao clearly did not believe them. "Really? You must regale me with the thrilling plans."

Zuko averted his gaze and began to walk away. "Sorry, but we have to go."

Zhao smiled evilly as he walked away. Only a few steps away, Iroh placed a hand on his shoulder to hold him back. "Prince Zuko, show commander Zhao your respect. We would be honoured to join you. So you have ginseng tea? It's my favourite."

~~~

"And by the year's end, the Earth Kingdom capital will be under our rule," Zhao smirked in victory. "The fire lord will finally claim victory in this war!"

Zuko scoffed angrily. "If my father thinks the rest of the world will follow him willingly, then he is a fool!"

Zhao walked up to Zuko, his smirk only growing. "Two years at sea have done little to temper your tongue. So, how is your search for the Avatar going?"

Iroh gasped as he knocked over a weapon display behind them. The weapons came crashing down with a loud bang. Zhao spun around in annoyance, glaring at Iroh who chuckled lightly. "My fault entirely."

"We haven't found him yet," Zuko snapped, ignoring the truth.

"Did you really expect to? The avatar died a hundred years ago. Along with the rest of the air benders. Unless you have found some evidence that the avatar is alive?"

Zuko turned to Zhao, staring at him. "No. Nothing."

"Prince Zuko," Zhao shook his head in disbelief, "the avatar is the only one who can stop the Fire Nation from winning this war. If you have an ounce of loyalty left, you'll tell me what you found."

"I haven't found anything," Zuko's anger grew with each word, hissing at the end. Zuko took a deep breath, continuing in a soft tone. "It's like you said. The avatar probably died a long time ago. Come on, Uncle, we're going."

As Zuko approached the door, the guards stopped him from leaving, crossing their spears over to lock off the door.  "Commander Zhao, we interrogated the crew as you instructed. They confirmed Prince Zuko has the Avatar in custody."

Zhao smirked slightly. "You lost- wait, what did you mean 'has'? They still have him?!"

Boom!

"Well... not anymore."

~~~

Hopping down, Isu ducked into the dock. "Come on." Dashing off, Isu skidded to a halt when Hachi didn't follow. "You can have your identity breakdown later, we've got to go." Dragging Hachi away, Isu rushed past the guards. "Come on old man! You're thirty years too early for a mid-life crisis!"