Part 6~Coward

The drums beat out of nowhere, singling the start of the match. Zhao smirked as Zuko walked in and took a deep breath. "This will be over quickly." Zhao spread his stance, readying for the fight to begin.

Zuko stretched his hands in front of him, glaring at Zhao. In a second, Zuko lowered his arms and the fight began. Zuko left fire trailing behind him as he directed the strong attack at Zhao who dodged left and out of the way of the blast.

Not letting up, Zuko shot again and again. Zhao crossed his arms in front of him to take on the blast head-on. As the embers dissipated, he swiped one of his arms up, controlling the flames. Smirking at Zuko, Zhao took in the young prince. Zuko was already panting and he was still in the position from the last attack instead of resetting. He really was a newbie.

Zuko gritted his teeth, jumping up and roundhouse kicking to the commander, causing a spray of flames to rain down. Not a single one landed on Zhao who simply controlled the fire and forced the embers to simmer to nothing. Zuko tried, again and again, directing his fire back out.

Zhao launched forward. Shooting with a powerful blast, he interrupted the prince's attack. Zhao stood strong, unfazed, unlike the prince who was barely standing.

Iroh narrowed his eyes, a pit of anxiety pooling in his stomach. "Basics, Zuko! Break his roots!"

Zuko didn't have time to consider his uncle's words when the fire rained down on him. Stumbling back, Zuko tried to keep the fire away from him but he was failing. It was just like then. He shouldn't have ever spoken out.

~~~

Isu yawned as she stretched out her arms. "Woah." Jumping to the side, Isu lifted herself onto the roof of the building. Far in the distance, the lights flashed and clashed. "I wonder if there's a fight going on." Her eyes sparkled at the idea. Oh, what she would do to use her bending in a fight.

Sighing, Isu knew that it wasn't the time now. Crossing her legs over one another, she got into her stance. She pressed her hands together and took a deep breath. "What should I do...?" Searching her mind, her past and her possible future, Isu weighed up everything.

They could go home, let the war rage below until only the fire nation is left. No, that wasn't an option. At least, not for Isu. They could find the avatar but... could the avatar really work? No. The avatar as he is will never be what they need.

'That's why you need to guide them.'

Isu's eyes snapped open. "Grandpa..." What had he said to her? What was the point of this? Focusing on the memory, it was like she was there once again.

'Hey, grandpa? Why is the avatar needed? Can't people just get along?' Isu looked up at her grandpa, the elder man chuckling at his granddaughter's naivety.

'It's not as simple as that, Isu. People are strange beings. They struggle to understand different groups and their role and when they don't understand, they destroy. It's the avatar's job to stop that.'

'Oh... So he's like a big book of knowledge to help people understand?'

'No, sweetie. The avatar is a fighter, a communicator, a peacemaker and yes, a big book but they need all these parts of themself to complete their mission.'

'I don't understand.'

Sighing, the old man grabbed a piece of paper off the desk, sliding it in front of Isu. 'They are like the elements. We need air to control Earth and Earth to control air otherwise we could not live as either there would be nowhere to stand or we would be squished like little bugs. Same with fire and water. The elements help keep each other in balance and without each other, the world could not function. The avatar could not function without all these attributes.'

Isu's eyes widened in understanding as she nodded. 'Okay... But why do they need us then? If they are that amazing, why do they need us?'

'Because they never start off with all those attributes. That's why you need to guide them. When you meet them, they might be the most scared little girl or the most dysfunctional moody boy or they might be completely blank. Having people to guide and support them will help them complete their mission. Without us, they'll fail. They always fail when they are alone.'

Sighing, Isu looked back out at the fire clashes. The avatar needed her. She was going to help.

~~~

With each step that Zhao took, Zuko knew his time was coming to a close. The fires singed at the floor, never quite hitting the young prince.

Boom.

Zuko grunted as he was thrown back against the ground. He gritted his teeth, pushing himself up despite the pain. His eyes widened in shock as Zhao jumped up and soared through the sky. With a loud scream, Zhao landed at Zuko's feet, thrusting his fist forward to deliver the final blow.

Rolling out the way, Zuko swirled to the side. He forced down his hammering heart that relieved that moment over again. He knew this was his chance. Swiping his foot back, Zuko cut Zhao's feet from below him.

He jumped to his feet, a smirk finally coming to his face as he confidently stood his ground. HE stepped forward, sliding fire to Zhao's feet. Zhao couldn't find his balance, wobbling back as Zuko kept up his attack.

Zhao gasped as he fell back, distress clear on his face. Iroh sighed in relief before smiling at his nephew.

Zuko directed a powerful kick to the cowering commander who barely was able to push it out of his way. Zuko kicked once more, knocking the commander over.

Charging forward, Zuko threw out his arm for the final blow. Zhao threw up his head, glaring at the prince. "Do it!"

Zuko didn't hesitate, slamming his fist forward and sending out the last blast. Standing proudly, Zuko only glanced at the scorched bit of earth behind Zhao's head.

"That's it? Your father raised a coward."

Growling, Zuko glared at Zhao, anger clear in his voice. "Next time you get in my way, I promise I won't hold back." Zuko turned his back, walking away from the fire commander.

Zhao was not having that. Launching a powerful kick at Zuko, Zhao sent out the heavy flames. Before Zuko could notice what was going on, however, something unimagined happened.

The members died out as the figure stood between the two fire users. "Only true cowards attack a man when their back is turned. Only true cowards accuse others when they show strength. Only true cowards give into the want to kill. You are the only coward I see, Commander Zhao."