Part 48~Wu

Stepping into the town, the group stared in wonder. The town was built on the side of a mountain, snow covering the top. Turkey ducks quacked as they passed, a strange man walking to greet them.

"Aunt Wu is expecting you."

Katara gaped, bouncing up and down. "Really?" Sokka grumbled, glaring at the man as they entered a room, six pillows placed on the floor. The strange man closed the door, a young girl entering the room in a pink robe.

"My name is Meng and I'm Aunt Wu's assistant." The girl nodded to the others, waving them to the pillows as her eyes caught Hachi "Well, hello there."

Hachi stepped back, scratching the back of his head. "Hello."

"Can I get you some tea or some of Aunt Wu's special bean curd puffs?" Meng pushed Hachi and Zuko into the pillows as Sokka brightened up.

"I'll try a curd puff."

Meng held up her finger, ignoring him. "Just a second." Meng turned back to Hachi who was growing more uncomfortable under her gaze. "So, what's your name?"

Hachi narrowed his eyes, backing up, moving closer to Zuko. "Hachi."

Meng paused, humming. "That's a nice name. And you've got some pretty big ears, don't you?"

Hachi looked down, covering his ears self consciously as Zuko seemed to snap out of his earlier trance, wrapping a protective arm around Hachi's shoulders.

Meng glanced at Hachi as she began to walk away. "Well, Hachi, it was very nice to meet you. Very nice." She smiled shyly, bowing to them.

Hachi did not respond.

Sokka scoffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "I can't believe we're here in the house of nonsense."

Katara shrugged. "Try to keep an open mind, Sokka. There are things in this world that just can't be explained. Wouldn't it be nice to have some insight into your future?"

"It would be nice to have some bean curd puffs."

Zuko glared at where Meng had left. "It would be nice for her to leave Hachi alone."

Hachi blushed as Zuko wrapped his arm tighter around Hachi, forcing the Airbender to shuffle closer.

Before anyone could respond, a door was thrown open, a lady in green stePping out and greeting Meng. "Oh, Meng! Aunt Wu says I'm going to meet my true love. He's going to give me a rare panda lily."

Meng sighed dreamingly. "That's so romantic! I wonder if my true love will give me a rare flower." Meng glanced at Hachi who coughed awkwardly.

"Good luck with that..."

The woman glanced at Meng and Hachi. "Is that the big-eared guy who Aunt Wu predicted you'd marry?"

Meng blushed, pushing the women aside as she walked back to the group, stumbling as she tripped over. Isu yelped, jumping forward as she caught Meng. Meng stared at Isu in confusion as Isu gently put her back on her feet.

Meng blinked, putting the food on the table before she ran away. "Enjoy your snack."

Chuckling, Iroh watched Meng leave. "That's one bi panic for the book."

Snorting, Isu grinned. "We've almost collected a set." Isu picked up one of the curds, pacing one to Sokka as she went to finally eat it when an elderly woman entered the room.

"Welcome, young travellers. Now, who's next? Don't be shy."

Katara stepped up when the lady held up her hand. "No, him." Wu pointed at Hachi who blinked in shock.

"Me?"

Wu nodded as Hachi slowly got up and bidded the others goodbye. Zuko glanced at the door, a concerned expression on his face. "What do you think they're talking about back there?"

Sokka scoffed, biting into his puff. "Boring stuff I'm sure. Love, who he's going to marry, that sort of stuff."

Isu snickered, rolling her eyes. "Yeah, Hachi is totally going to like that."

Zuko tapped his fingers on the table, gently standing up. "I'm going to find a bathroom." Zuko walked past the over, pressing his ear against the doorway.

Wu held Hachi's hands, brushing her fingers against his hand. "Your palms are so smooth. Do you use moisturiser?"

Hachi tried to pull his hand back awkwardly. "Nope. I guess it's the family genes."

Wu chuckled, nodding as she leaned back. "Your future is very interesting. I see great power and great sadness."

Hachi flinched, placing his hands in his lap.

"You will suffer greatly but you will find happiness. I feel a great romance for you. The man you are going to marry is a powerful bender."

Gasping, Hachi covered his mouth. "A powerful bender?"

"Yes... a warrior of great importance who will support the future fire lord in creating the new fire nation."

Unknowingly, Wu had just broken two hearts. Zuko grumbled as he collapsed beside Iroh.

Hachi stormed into the room, an angry expression on his face. "Come on, we're leaving." Hachi grabbed Zuko, pulling him away from the house.

Wu entered, looking at the remaining people. "It's such a shame they had to leave, maybe I should do you next?" Wu turned to Iroh who shook his head.

"No. When you get to my age, there are only a few paths one can go down. I'm going to check on my nephew." Iroh turned away, walking outside.

Wu shook her head as Sokka stood up. "Okay, let's get this over with." Rising, Sokka walked behind her.

"Your future is full of struggle and anguish. Most of it, self-inflicted."

Sokka held up his hands in protest. "But you didn't read my palms or anything!"

Wu grinned too sweetly. "I don't need to. It's written all over your face. You there, come with me." Wu pointed at Isu, getting her attention. She gently rose, patting Katara's shoulder as she walked after Wu.

Wu pulled out a jug of bones, showing it to Isu. "This is the most reliable method of telling your future. The bones never lie." She urged Isu to pick a bone, the girl carefully choosing one from the jug. "Now throw it into the fire."

Isu paused before tossing the bone into the flames.

"The heat makes cracks in the bone and I read the bone cracks to tell you your destiny."

Isu leaned closer, watching the bone splinter almost snapping in half. "Wow, that's a big crack."

Wu stared in surprise. "I've never seen this before!"

"Oh my! Your destiny! This is incredible. You will be involved in a great battle, an awesome conflict between the forces of good and evil. A battle whose outcome will determine the fate of the whole world!"

Isu scoffed, crossing her arms. "Tell me something I don't know."

Wu frowned, looking back into the fire. "You will gain a place of great power in the world."

Laughing, Isu stood up. "News flash lady, I'm an Airbender, I don't have power." Isu rolled her eyes as she left, grabbing Katara on the way out. "Come on, this lady knows nothing."

Katara tried to protest but Isu simply pulled her out. Zuko and Hachi sat in the centre of town, both upset.

"Shall we agree that that lady was full of bison droppings and move on with our lives?"

"Yes."

The team turned away, never looking at the town again.