Part 60~Battle

Stepping forward, Katara looked over Sangok. He gulped, pulling at the water as he created a small glob in front of him. He took a slow breath, breezing the water and throwing it at Katara.

It didn't get close. Katara melted it. She stepped forward, bending the water behind Sangok, creating a large wave that crashed down on him, freezing Sangok in an icy trap.

"Nice try, pupil Sangok," Pakku glared at Sangok, a clearly displeased expression on his face as Sangok tried to break free. "A couple of more years, and you might be ready to fight a sea sponge." Pakku unfroze the ice, watching Sangok fall to the ground in a daze. "Would anyone care for a rewatch with Katara?"

Grimacing, the students shuffled away, their tired eyes looking at anything but their master.

"Katara, you've advanced more quickly than any student I've ever trained. You have proven that with fierce determination, passion and hard work, you can accomplish anything." Pakku spun to Zuko, a glare on his face. "You have not."

Zuko sighed, dropping the unsteady stream of water he had been bending.

"But I acknowledge your refusal to quit, even though you are terrible."

"I am trying."

"We know you are." Katara placed a soft hand on Zuko's shoulder as Zuko smiled weakly. "It's just taking you longer than others. You're a bit too hot-headed, so it's a bit harder for you."

Zuko huffed, crossing his arms as he closed his eyes. "Maybe I should cool off then." Without warning, he fell back and lay in the snow, making the others look at him. "I am one with the snow!"

"Zuko? When was the last time you slept?"

"I! Am! One! With! The! Snow!"

~~~

"So they don't have palaces in the Southern Tribe?" Yue glanced at Sokka, who walked beside her on the bridge-well, she walked on the bridge. He was on the edge as he balanced across it.

"Are you kidding? I grew up in a block of ice. It's not exactly a cultural hub." Sokka sat down, laughing as Yue laughed back.

Sokka beamed, smiling at Yue as she stepped back, turning serious. "Sokka, this is wrong."

"What's wrong? We're taking a walk!"

"I'm engaged." Yue's voice faltered for a second. "It just feels..."

"I know what you need." Sokka jumped up, standing by Yue's side. "You need to meet my good friend, Pickle."

"You want me to meet a pickle?"

"Not a pickle, the Pickle! Just trust me. You know you want to." Sokka grinned as Yue relented, following Sokka to the stables. "Pickle and I go way back, don't we, boy?"

Pickle grumbled as he moved, landing on Sokka and licking him, much to Sokka's dismay. "Ah, ah, easy! Down boy! No, up!" Sokka groaned as Pickle continued to torture him.

"Looks like you haven't been giving Pickle enough attention." Yue smiled as Corno stepped closer, being much more behaved as she let Yue pet her.

"Let's take Corno instead."

Yue chuckled as Sokka slid Corno's saddle on her back and helped Yue up. "So, how does this work?"

"You hold on tight." Sokka took the reins, petting Corno's head. "Yip yip."

Corno roared as she took off, flying over the city.

"Oh my goodness!" Yue looked over the saddle, staring at the ocean. "Wow, I can't believe you do this every day."

"Yeah, we pretty much live up here." Sokka stretched out as Yue shuffled closer.

"Is it always this cold in the sky?"

"Not when you're with someone."

Yue blushed, turning to face Sokka. "It's beautiful up here."

"Yeah..." Sokka turned to Yue, slowly leaning in as Yue did the same. At the very last moment, Sokka's eyes widened, and he pulled away, coughing as he did so. "Ah, good times, good times."

Sokka looked up as black flakes began to fall, mixed with the snow.

"Hey, look!"

Yue shifted her gaze, a worried expression on her face. "What's happening?"

"No..." Sokka gulped, tightening his grin on Corno's reins. "Soot."

"What?"

"We have to go back."

Before Yue could respond, Sokka pulled Corno around, landing near the North pole shores.

Sokka knelt down, observing the snow and confirming his theory. "I've seen this before, right before my village was attacked. It's soot mixed with snow." He rose as Yue stepped closer.

"But why?"

"It's the Fire Nation. They've closed in on the North Pole, and from the looks of this stuff, I'd say there's a lot of them. We should get Isu and Hachi to loop around and scout it out."

~~~

Citizens fled, panic surrounding them. Watchmen sounded the alarm as Sokka and Yue made their way up the steps, only for Yue to stop.

"What's wrong? We have to go!" Sokka turned to her, trying to drag her along.

Yue paused, letting go of Sokka's hand. "No, Sokka, wait. I can't see you anymore. Not at all."

"What? We're just friends."

"I wish we could just be friends, but I like you too much, and it's too confusing to be around you. I'm marrying someone else!" Yue turned away sorrowfully.

"You don't love him, do you? You don't even seem to like him."

"But I do love my people."

"You're not marrying them!"

"You don't understand. I have duties to my father, to my tribe. I have to do this. Goodbye." She ran past Sokka, leaving him behind and leaving him alone.

"Sokka!" Swooping down, Isu snapped her glider shut. "Come on, we don't have time to waste." She grabbed him, dragging him behind her without another word.

Sokka's eyes stayed on Yue until he couldn't see her again.

~~~

"The day we have feared for so long has arrived. The Fire Nation is on our doorstep. It is with great sadness I call my family here before me, knowing well that some of these faces are about to vanish from our tribe." Arnook paused, glancing around the hall. "But they will never vanish from our hearts. As we approach the battle for our existence, I call upon the great spirits. Spirit of the Ocean! Spirit of the Moon! Be with us! I'm going to need volunteers for a dangerous mission."

Sokka rose, his head held high. "Count me in!"

"Sokka," Katara glanced at her brother, but he ignored her.

"Be warned, many of you will not return." Arnook glanced around as more men rose and walked forward. "Come forward to receive my mark if you accept the task."

Arnook painted three red line marks on each man's forehead. He began walking away, turning to look at Yue. Sokka glanced at her as she turned away.

Isu growled, tightening her fist as she resisted following after them, but the others needed her. She had to stay.

~~~

The ships drew closer, the city coming into close view.

"Everyone, ready!" Zhao grinned as the fireballs were lit. "Fire!" The fire launched into the sky as the attack began.