Part 29~Coal

Walking onto the dock, Haru looked around, spotting the person he had been sent to find. "Zuko!"

Jolting out of his thoughts, Zuko turned around, smiling when he saw the familiar face. "Haru. What are you doing here?"

"We came to rescue you."

"We? You appear to be alone."

Scratching the back of his neck, Haru coughed awkwardly. "Well, we couldn't track the ship so we needed one of us to get captured. The others are following... I hope."

Blinking, Zuko processed. "Sounds like we'll need some help. Haru, I think it's time to meet someone." Zuko stepped back, tapping one of the prisoner's shoulders. "Tyro, there's someone here."

Tyro spun around, his eyes landing on his son. "Haru..."

"Dad." Tackling his father into a tight hug, Haru let out a relieved sigh. He had his dad again. "I found you." Pulling away from one another, father and son stayed in eyesight, afraid to lose each other again.

"So, what happens now?" Zuko stepped aside, looking out for the others but he couldn't find them.

"That depends. Dad, what's your escape plan?"

Blinking in surprise, Tyro turned to his son in confusion. "Excuse me?"

"You know, the plan to get everyone off the rig? What is it? Mutiny, sabotage?"

"The plan? The plan is to survive. Wait out this war. Hope that one day some of us can get back home and forget this ever happened."

Scoffing, Zuko rolled his eyes. "That's a horrible plan. You really have already given up."

"You've seen what it's like. I admire your courage and envy your youth but people's lives are at stake here. The warden is a ruthless man and he won't stand for any rebellion. I'm sorry but we're powerless."

"You're never powerless." Zuko crossed his arms and covered his chest proudly. "You just need to find something to fight back with."

"We're in the middle of the sea, there aren't any rocks for us for miles around!"

"What about those rocks?" Zuko pointed back over his shoulder, aiming his thumb at the engines.

"That is metal. We can't bend metal."

"That is actually an engine. The engine needs coal. Coals are rocks."

A long pause followed Zuko's announcement, Haru and Tyro staring at him in confusion.

"Do you guys not know how engines work?" Zuko looked between the two, a strange expression on his face. "If we can get at the coal, you guys can fight back easily."

Haru tilted his head. "How will we do that?"

Humming, Zuko grinned, looking over the deck side. "You said 'we' right?"

~~~

Stepping closer to the engines, Isu smirked. Katara gulped, seeing Isu's mischievous glimmer.

"This is going to be epic," Isu whispered, taking in a deep breath.

"Intruder!"

Gulping, Isu screamed, hitting the guard over the side of the boat. Sokka hit back one of the guards, holding up his boomerang. "Stay back! I'm warning you!"

"Katara!" Haru rushed over as Zuko hit off another guard with his Airbending.

"Stop this! You can't win this fight!" Tyro reached out his hand, a desperate expression on his face.

Laughing, Isu turned back to the engines. "Never tell me what I can and cannot do!" Taking a deep breath, Isu blew air into the pipes. The facility shook, the ventilation shafts bursting as a lump of coal flew through the air.

The deck grew silent, staring at the coal in surprise.

"Well, what are you waiting for?! Die Firenation scum!" Isu hit the guard over the head, screaming in delight.

"Hey! I take offence to that!" Zuko glared at Isu, hitting a different guard in the chest.

"It was valid," Sokka defended, whacking a guard with his boomerang.

"It was not," Hachi scolded, ducking under a blast.

"Will you all stop fighting each other and focus on the men trying to kill us!" Katara glared at everyone, forcing their argument to a close. "Here's your chance, Earthbenders! Take it! Your fate is in your own hands!"

Haru rushed forward, going to fight when Tyro stopped him.

"Foolish children." The warden laughed, a high pitched amused chuckle that burst forward and scratched against the other's ears. "You thought a few inspirational words and some coal would change these people? Look at these blank, hopeless faces. Their spirits were broken a long time ago. Oh, but you still believe in them. How sweet. They're a waste of your energy. You failed-" the man could not finish as Iroh punched him and watched him fall to the ground.

"Will you stop your boasting? It's unbecoming of a warden. You're a disgusting member of the Firenation and should be exiled for it." Iroh stood taller, much to the guards surprise.

"You bas-" The warden couldn't finish as a single, small piece of coal hit him in the back of the head. The warden turned, glaring at the Earthbenders. "Who did that?"

"I did!" Haru stood defiantly, small pieces of coal circling in his hand. Haru gaped as fire spun towards his head. Tyro stepped in the way, a wall of coal blocking them both.

"Show no mercy!" The warden got into position, ready to take them all on.

"For the Earth kingdom! Attack!" Tyro punched forward, his coal wall scattering.

Isu cheered, hitting her hand down and hitting the nearest guard. Prisoners lifted up the coal, hitting back as the Firenation guards attacked. Haru and Tyro worked together, hitting the guards.

"Get to the ships! We'll hold them off!" Tyro waved to the other prisoners as Isu whistled loudly.

Corno and Pickle landed on the ship, roaring loudly.

Hachi and Zuko fought together, knocking the last of the Firenation members off the ship.

The warden failed his arms around, gasping for air. "No, please! I can't swim!"

Tyro rolled his eyes. "Don't worry. I hear cowards float."

The prisoners cheered, jumping on the ship and having Corno and Pickle pull them away. Isu slid down onto the ship, a smile on her face. "That was fun."

"Let's not do that again." Katara smiled, leaning against Isu as she rested.

Tyro stepped closer to Zuko and Hachi, a thankful expression on his face. "Thank you, for everything."

"Of course." Zuko bowed, a smile on his face. "Good luck taking back your village."

Hopping onto Pickles back, the bison let go of the ships and flew into the sky.

"Hey, Hachi. I think I have a name for the last rabbit."

Hachi glanced over his shoulder, raising his eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"Tyro."