Part 16~Cave

Sokka grumbled, pushing at the clothes he was forced to wear. Just like all the others, he was now dressed in a green dress with white face paint covering his skin. "Do I really have to wear this? It feels a little... girly."

Suki rolled her eyes. "It's a warrior's uniform, you should be proud."

"Yeah, get that and all," Isu started, an equal level of embarrassment coming from her, "but how can you fight like this?! At least our uniforms tend to be... less restricting." Isu twisted her body as she tried to explain what she was saying.

"It is not." Suki pushed Isu into a standing position before she stood in front of them both. "The silk threats symbolize the brave blood that flows through our veins. The gold insignia represents the honour of the warrior's heart."

Sharing a look, Sokka and Isu nodded. "Bravery and honour!"

"Hey, Isu, have you seen-" Katara stopped mid-sentence, spotting Sokka. She tried to suppress her snicker, covering her mouth. "What are you wearing?"

"It's a warrior's outfit," Sokka snapped with a blush on his cheeks.

Katara shook her head, brushing over the shout. "Anyway, Isu, have you seen Hachi or Zuko?"

Isu tapped her chin. "Not since they turned the town on us. Try under the lake."

"Under the lake?"

"Yep. Avatar Kyoshi used to train under the lake to ensure safety to the villagers. There is a secret cave down there that we had to learn about. The entrance is just about where we left the bison."

Katara nodded as Suki stared at Isu. "You know, your complete knowledge about everything here is unnerving."

Isu shrugged her shoulders. "Blame my grandad."

Turning on her feet, Katara left to find the others. "Thank you Isu, this means a lot." Katara left the building as Isu's cheeks heated up.

Katara sighed as she looked out at the lake. Stripping off the outer layers, Katara dived into the water. She shared the areas, stopping the hole in the rocks.

Swimming into the cave, she was relieved to find air stored inside. Resurfacing, Katara searched the darkness.

Raising her eyebrow, she swam closer to Hachi and Zuko. They sat side by side, facing each other. Hachi was holding Zuko's hands, their eyes closed.

Kneeling in front of the duo, Katara chuckled to herself. "What are you two doing?"

Jumping, Hachi stumbled back, wiping his hands behind his back with a massive blush on his face. He seemed to relax when he noticed it was Katara. "Oh thank avatar, I thought you were Isu."

Zuko blinked, staring up at Hachi. "Did you just... thank me?"

Blushing more, Hachi shook his head. "No! Well, yeah. Well... you see... where we come from, we say 'thank avatar' when we're extremely grateful... Well, me and dad do and some of my cousins but Isu and grandad never did cause they saw it as disrespectful and he used to lock me in my room when I did but as our windows are just big holes in the walls, it wasn't very effective... Wait, what was I talking about?" Hachi tilted his head as Zuko smiled.

"You can relax, I don't find it offending more... a pleasant change from cursing my name."

Hachi's expression softened. "That's a little sad."

Katara ringed out her hair, regretting not having tied it up first. "So, what are you doing?"

Hachi gently retook his stop in front of Zuko, taking Zuko's hands in his. "I'm trying to get Zuko to reconnect with the element of air."

Katara sat beside them, a confused expression on her face. "Why would you need to do that?"

"Well, Zuko is already a... decent Firebender.- Hachi smiled sweetly as Zuko glared at him "-and he appears to have a connection to water but he doesn't seem to have shown any signs that he can air or earth bend."

Katara leaned on her knees, an interested expression on her face. "I thought water would be the issue as that is his opposite element."

Hachi chuckled, shaking his head. "Fire's opposite is water but that does not mean it will be Zuko's opposite. Each element requires different things from the bender. Fire bender needs emotional control and calmness. Ironically, fire requires a cool mind. Earth is similar- wanting a calm bender who will stand their ground. I'm sure when we get an earth bender, Zuko will be a quick learner. Water and air are slightly different. Water requires flexibility and balance while air requires freedom of thoughts and sensitivity which is Zuko's worst."

"Well, why don't we skip it and return later? Surely getting Zuko to learn a different bending type will aid him more than being stuck on one?"

"It is not as simple as that. We must go through the cycle, fire, air, water and finally earth."

"Will you both shut up!" Zuko's hands burst on fire, startling Hachi and Katara silent.

Zuko turned away from them both, pouting as he pulled his knees to his chest.

Katara looked to Hachi for guidance as Hachi scooched closer to Zuko, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, we shouldn't be pressuring you. I know this is stressing you out." Hachi rubbed Zuko's back, opening his arms for Zuko to move into. "How about we take a break?"

Nodding into Hachi's neck, Zuko sighed. "That would be nice."

Hachi gently stood up, pulling up Zuko with him. "Come on, let's get back to the surface." Hachi walked to the back of the cave, grabbing onto some vines.

Katara jumped up in confusion. "Wait, you're not going through the lake."

Hachi snickered a little. "Of course not, I can't swim remember."

Katara couldn't help but wonder why Isu hadn't told her about that.

Resurfacing behind a tree, Hachi petted the bison. Zuko seemed to instantly relax when he felt the sun hit his face.

Hachi smiled, knowing full well Zuko got most of his power at the moment from the sun and therefore felt reenergized simply from being in its presence.

Katara smirked, nudging his side. "You're staring."

Blushing, Hachi turned away, denying everything Katara was saying.

~~~

Stepping onto the sand, Hajime scowled, watching Hachi and Zuko joke around. Time to clean up their mess.