Part 59~Yue

Standing before the chief, master Pakku and Arnook's family, the gang waited for the response.

"What do you want me to do? Force Master Pakku to take Zuko back as his student?" Arnook glanced around, sure that the others wanted that result more than Zuko, who hid behind Hachi.

"Yes... Please!" Katara stepped forward, firm resolve in her eyes.

"I suspect he might change his mind if you swallow your pride and apologise to him."

Katara took in a deep breath, glancing back at her necklace. "Fine."

Pakku grinned, holding his head higher. "I'm waiting, little girl."

Katara growled, gripping her fists together as Isu scoffed. "You're the one who should apologise for what you said to Zuko."

"What did you say to me?"

"I think you heard me just fine."

"Unless you are willing to apologise, I see no reason for me to be here."

Katara growled, her eyes narrowing as the ice started to crack around her. "No! No way am I apologising to a sour old man like you!" Pots shattered around her, making Isu cheer.

Iroh stepped forward, placing a hand on Katara's shoulder. "Katara, I believe you should calm down before you bring the whole building to the ground."

Katara took a deep breath, squaring her shoulders. "I'll be outside if you're man enough to fight me." She turned around as Isu followed her, waving her hands between her and Pakku.

"I'm sure she didn't mean that." Iroh held up his hands peacefully as Sokka snorted.

"Yeah. I think she did." Rushing after Katara, Sokka paused. "Are you crazy, Katara? You're not going to win this fight!"

"I know!" Katara took off her coat, giving it to Isu. "I don't care!"

"You don't have to do this for me." Zuko fidgeted. "I can find another teacher."

"That's not the point! Someone needs to slap some sense into that guy! He shouldn't treat girls this way and had no right to say that about you." Katara paused as Isu patted her shoulders.

"I think this is a terrible idea, but I fully support you and have a compact knife if you want it."

"You have a knife?"

"You don't?"

Their conversation was cut off as Pakku left the building. "So you decided to show up?" Pakku didn't even glance at her, walking away. "Aren't you going to fight?"

"Go back to the healing huts with the other women where you belong."

Katara tightened her fist as she whipped her water out, hitting him in the back.

"Fine. Do you want to learn to fight so bad? Study closely!" Pakku pulled out the water around him, throwing the streams of water at Katara and encasing them in a large circle. "Don't worry. I'm not going to hurt you!"

"Do worry. I am going to hurt you." Katara reached out for the water, redirecting it away and hitting Sokka. Pakku built an ice wall up as Katara slid closer.

Pakku melted the ice of the nearby post, blasting Katara as she froze her feet down and pushed the blast away.

"You can't knock me down!"

Cheering, Isu jumped up excitedly. "That's my girl! Go on, Katara! Beat his ass!"

"Sometimes it's hard to remember you're an Airbender," Sokka muttered as Isu snickered.

"That's fair."

Katara charged at Pakku, the old man pulling up a wall that Katara immediately liquidised. She punched forward, trying to hit Pakku as he ducked all her attacks. He whipped the water around him, throwing Katara into a pool.

Emerging from the pool, Katara shook her hair, summoning a small ice pillar. Slicing forward, Katara sent out a series of ice disks.

Pakku stood up, breaking the ice disks before he was forced to dodge one. Looking at Katara in irritation as she pushed a stream of water at him.

Pakku lifted his hands, changing the water into a larger stream and sending it back to her. Katara gasped as she was thrown around, doubling over as she panted. She couldn't break free.

Pakku turned away. "This fight is over."

"Come back here. I'm not finished yet!"

"Yes, you are." Pakku froze, staring at Katara's neck. "This is my necklace." he reached out, taking it from Katara.

"No, it's mine! Give it back!"

Isu jumped forward, pointing her staff at Pakku's neck. "You heard her. Give it back."

Isu was ignored by the old man. "I made this sixty years ago for the love of my life... for Kanna."

Katara melted the ice, staring at Pakku in surprise. "My Gran-Gran was supposed to marry you?"

"I carved this necklace for your grandmother when we got engaged. I thought we would have a long, happy life together. I loved her."

"And then she realised you were a dick?" Isu grinned as Pakku glared at her.

"My Gran-Gran didn't love you. It was an arranged marriage. She wouldn't let your tribe's stupid customs run her life. That's why she left. It must have taken a lot of courage."

Stepping back, Yue covered her face as she ran away. Iroh grinned, pushing Sokka forward. "Go get her." Sokka nodded, chasing after Yue.

Isu hummed, clapping her hands together. "So, does this mean you'll apologise to Katara and Zuko for what you said?"

~~~

Catching up to Yue, Sokka stopped. Yue hung her head, unable to look at him. "What do you want from me?"

"Nothing. I just want you to know, I think you're beautiful, and I never thought a girl like you would even notice a guy like me."

Yue shook her head. "You don't understand."

"No, no. See, that's the thing. I think I do understand now. You're a princess, and I'm... I'm just a Southern peasant."

"No, Sokka..."

"It's okay. You don't have to say anything. I'll see you around, okay?" Sokka turned away as Yue grabbed him, pulling him back and kissing him. As she pulled away, Sokka narrowed his eyes in confusion. "Okay, now I'm really confused. Happy but confused."

"I do like you a lot. But we can't be together and not for the reason you think. It's because I'm engaged." She pulled the collar of her coat down, showing Sokka the necklace. "I'm sorry." Yue spun, running away once more.

~~~

Pakku walked past Zuko as he pulled up an unsteady blob of water, cautiously turning it into a stream and shakingly sending it off, hitting a target Pakku had put up.

"Not bad, not bad." Pakku laughed as Zuko sighed, his shoulders slumping. "Warfare seems to be getting through to you. Keep practising, and maybe you'll get it by the time you're my age."

Zuko gave a shaky finger, not having the energy (or basis) to fight Pakku. Zuko turned around, smiling as he noticed Katara walking closer. "Hey, Katara!"

"What do you think you're doing?" Pakku paused as Katara looked at him. "It's past sunrise. You're late."

"Good to see you. Maybe you'll make this tolerable." Zuko punched Katara's arm lightly as Katara grinned.

"You bet it."

~~~

Standing on his ship, Zhao looked out across the ocean, Hajime by his side. "My fleet is ready. Set a course for the Northern Water Tribe."

Dozens of fire Navy ships fired up their engines, pushing out the harbour and heading to launch the final assault on the northern water tribe.