Part 22~Suprise

Zuko jolted from his sleep, hearing the door open and a guard walk in. He glanced around, seeing that he was not where he had fallen asleep. It was dimly lit with a seemingly green tone.

Turning around in alarm, Zuko searched the room desperately. "Hachi?! Uncle?!" He turned around, glaring at the guard. In a second, his hands lit on fire and burst out at the guards. "Where are they?!"

Guard blocked the attack, glaring right back. "The king will free them if you complete your challenges."

"And if I fail?"

"He didn't say. Come." The guard led Zuko to the throne room, none of the others to be seen.

"First, Prince," the king started, crossing his arms. "What do you think of my new outfit? I want your honest opinion."

Zuko looked over the outfit. The purple outfit confused him. "It's fine?"

"Excellent! You passed the first test."

Zuko perked up. "Really?"

The king clamped his hands together. "Well, not one of the deadly tests. The real challenges are much more challenging."

Growling, Zuko blasted the two guards to the side, charging forward to the king. He bragged to the king, bringing a searing blaze close to the king's face. "I don't have time for your games! Give me my uncle back! Bring Hachi back! Bring them all back! We're leaving!"

The king chuckled, not caring in the slightest. "Oh, I thought you might refuse." The king motioned to the far wall, watching as the guard pushed the group in.

Isu struggled, kicking wildly as she was dragged by two guards compared to the other's single guard.

Zuko's expression softened, the fire dissipating. "Hachi!"

"So, I will give your friends some special souvenirs." The king nodded to the guards, watching as the guards slid rings onto each of the group's fingers.

The guard who tried to put one on Isu got a nasty surprise when she head-butted him but they eventually got it on.

"Those delightful rings are made of pure jennamite, also known as creeping crystal. It's a crystal that grows remarkably fast. By nightfall, your friends will be completely covered in it. Terrible thing, really. I can stop it, but only if you cooperate."

Zuko turned to face Hachi, watching the ring glow and crawl to cover more of his hand. "No! Stop it! I'll do what you want!"

The king smirked before bursting into a smile. "Great. Let's start."

~~~

Zuko stared at the waterfall, seeing a ladder inside it much to his confusion. The king had the others on a balcony that was cut into the rock. The creeping rock had encased half their arm though Isu was still being restrained by some guards who were starting to get tired of stopping her from escaping.

"It seems, I've lost my lunch box key and I'm hungry. Ooh, there it is!" The king pointed inside the waterfall to the dangling piece of rope. "Would you mind fetching it for me?"

Growling, Zuko jumped into the water, climbing up the ladder despite the building pressure.

"Ooh, climbing the ladder. No one's thought of that before."

Snickering, Hachi smirked. "You've never trialled Zuko before."

Zuko glared at the water, lifting himself higher and higher before grabbing the key and falling back down. Dragging himself out of the water, Zuko glared at the king. "There. Got it."