Part 54~Spirit

Isu stopped seeing the door. "It's like the one back home," she gasped, running forward to brush her fingers along the frame. "Just like home."

Teo grinned, holding his head up confidently. "Only an Airbender can open it so inside it's completely untouched. Just the way the monks left it. I've always wondered what it's like there..."

Katara turned to Isu and Hachi, keeping her voice gentle to avoid another attack from the angry bender. "Isu? Hachi?"

"I'm sorry," Isu stated quickly before Hachi could say anything. "This is the last part of the temple that's the same as it was. I want it to stay that way."

Teo sighed slightly, trying to not show how disappointed he was. "I completely understand. I just wanted you to know that it's here."

"Thanks." Isu patted Teo's back, making him wince. "I won't kill you today."

"Only today?"

Isu nodded. "You should feel honoured, that's a longer guarantee than I usually give Hachi."

Teo glanced at Hachi who nodded in agreement. He paused for a second. "That's a little sad."

~~~

Sokka groaned, his eyes narrowed around the darkness. "These lanterns are terrible. I can't see!" Sokka opened the top of his lantern, the fireflies buzzing around. "Why would you want to use fireflies for light?"

A single firefly fluttered out as the mechanist spun around. "Hey! Close that up! They'll get loose!"

Sokka closed the lantern as the mechanist turned back around.

"Fireflies are a non-flammable light source," he explained as they began walking, eventually coming across the wooden door. "Cover your nose and hold your breath."

They both plugged their noses as the mechanist opened an eye slot in the door. The pitch-black room stared back at the duo as Sokka raised his eyebrow. "Okay... so you brought me all the way down here to see an empty room."

The mechanist closed the slot. "Wrong. It's filled to the brim with natural gas. Came across it my first time here. Unfortunately, I was carrying a torch at the time. Nearly blew myself and the whole place even more sky high! Thought my eyebrows would never grow back. Anyways, there's a vital problem that needs solving. From time to time, we have gas leaks and they're nearly impossible to find."

"So, this place is an explosion waiting to happen?"

"Yes, until I figure out how to locate something I can't see, hear, smell or touch."

"We should probably tell Zuko and Iroh no Firebending then."

~~~

Teo grinned as Isu's eyes sparkled. "Those are the only ones I could find of the original design. I had to replace the fabric but other than that it is complete Airbending engineering."

Isu grinned, hugging the glider with complete joy. "I can fly again!" Isu paused, hearing Hachi snickering as she scowled her face. "I mean, it's not Lily but I guess it will do."

"You named your other glider," Katara asked with a chuckle, making Isu blush.

"Oh, shut up!"

Teo shook his head, wheeling closer to Katara. "I'm glad you like them Isu but I was also wondering if the rest of you wanted to try." Teo pointed at the other gliders, making Katara grin.

"Of course!" Katara ran up to the glider, picking it up.

"I think it's best I don't. Too many desserts for gliding," Iroh joked, patting his belly.