Part 65~Tui

Zhao laughed as he walked into the oasis. The fish swam around in distress as Zhao plunged his hand inside, grabbing Tui and dragging them from the water.

The moon turned red, followed by everything else. The city. The snow. The people. The waterbenders could bend, the water dropping to the ground as the fire nation continued their attack.

Isu gasped, gripping the reins tightly as Yue grabbed her head in pain.

"Are you okay?" Sokka looked over Yue, fear glinting in his eyes.

"I feel faint." Yue sighed as Sokka gulepd.

"I can feel it too." Isu lifted her head, looking at the moon as Zuko nodded shakingly. "The moon spirit is in trouble, and all the spirits are panicking."

"I owe the Moon Spirit my life." Yue sighed as Sokka tilted his head.

"What do you mean?"

"When I was born, I was very sick and very weak. Most babies cry when they're born, but I was born as if I was asleep, my eyes closed. Our healers did everything they could, but they told my mother and father I would die. My father pleaded with the spirits to save me. That night, beneath the full moon, he brought me to the oasis and placed me in the pond. My dark hair turned white. When I opened my eyes and began crying, they knew I would live. That's why my mother named me Yue, for the moon."

Isu gaped, staring at Yue. "No wonder you have such spiritual energy around you."

"We should hurry." Zuko took a deep breath, and Hachi and Isu pushed the bison faster.

~~~

"I am a legend now! The Fire Nation will, for generations, tell stories about the great Zhao, who darkened the moon. They will call me Zhao the conqueror, Zhao the Moon slayer, Zhao the Invincible!" In pride, Zhao laughed, holding the bag and Tui above his head.

Screaming, he jumped up as Vince, the hermit crab, pinched through his shoe and snapped at his toe.

Growling, Zhao kicked Vince away, throwing him into the pond. Isu snarled, rolling up her sleeves as she was ready to charge forward, only stopped by Katara.

"Don't bother." Zhao grinned as Tui struggled, bringing the sack high above his head.

"Zhao, don't!" Zuko rushed out, holding his hands up.

"It's my destiny to destroy the moon and the Water Tribe!"

"Destroying the moon won't hurt just the water tribe!" Isu rushed to Zuko's side, her staff out at her side. "It will hurt everyone, including you! Without the moon, everything would fall out of balance. You have no idea what kind of chaos that would unleash on the world!"

"She's right, Zhao." Stepping out from the darkness, Iroh held his hands up in peace.

"Uncle!" Zuko grinned as Iroh nodded at him.

"Sorry, I'm so late. When sweet little Phephe warned me of the danger the spirits were in, I came as fast as possible." Iroh smiled as Isu chuckled.

"Of course she did."

"General Iroh, why am I not surprised to discover your treachery?" Zhao glared at Iroh, who shrugged.

"I haven't exactly hidden it; however, I am no traitor, Zhao. The Fire nation needs the moon, too; we all depend on the balance. Whatever you do to that spirit, I'll unleash on you ten-fold. Let it go, now!"

Zhao's expression dropped for a second, letting Tui go. He paused, watching the fish swim once more before he fired out, burning the fish.

Isu screamed as she charged forward. Yue cried out, falling to the ground. Hachi and Zuko looked up, watching the moon fade and the world turn grey.

"You monster!" Isu roared as she hit down, breaking the ground with her airbending and sending Zhao flying back. Iroh rushed to her side as they attacked together, unleashing the full fury of the spiritual duo.

Grumbling, Zhao created a firewall, forcing them to step back. He was gone. He escaped.

Isu rushed forward, about to run after him, as Iroh stopped her. Together, they approached the oasis as Isu cursed. "This shouldn't have happened. I should have acted first."

Iroh sighed, soothing Isu as he smiled. "This is not your fault. You did everything you could have." Iroh knelt down, lifting Tui from the water. La swam to him in distress, looking for the missing part.

"There's no hope now. It's over." Yue lowered her head, leaning into Sokka's side.

Zuko bit his lip as he stepped forward, glancing at Yue. "No, it's not over." Zuko walked to the oasis, sitting in the water as La circled him. Energy started to circle him, swirling and growing.

His eyes snapped open blue as the oasis grew to match the colour. Energy completely encased Zuko, forming a large creature around him.

Slowly, the form rose, leaving the oasis and stepping towards the ocean. Staring in shock, the water benders bowed to the great avatar.

Making a mistake, the fire nation soldiers continued to attack, only to be swatted out of the way.

"Should we do something about that?" Isu looked at Zuko, humming as Hachi shouted at her.

"Yes! What even is that?!"

"The Ocean spirit, duh." Isu shrugged before seeing the glare Hachi was giving her. "Right. Stop the raging ocean spirit. On it!" Isu snapped out her glider, chasing after Zuko as Hachi followed her.

Iroh watched them go before placing Tui back in the water.

"It's too late. It's dead." Katara sighed, staring in hopelessness.

Iroh shook his head, turning to Yue. "You have been touched by the Moon Spirit. Some of its life is in you."

Yue smiled as her eyes glistened. "Yes, you're right. It gave me life. Maybe I can give it back." Yue shuffled closer to the water as Sokka reached out to stop her.

"No! You don't have to do that!"

"It's my duty, Sokka."

"I won't let you! Your father told me to protect you."

"I have to do this." Yue smiled as she slipped her hands into the water. Sokka reached out to stop her as Iroh grabbed him.

"This is her choice."

Yue placed her hands around Tui. Slowly, they began to glow as Yue closed her eyes, the last of her energy leaving her. Sokka jolted forward, catching Yue as she fell. He shook his head, searching for Yue's heart. "No! She's gone! She's... gone..." Tears began to drop from his eyes as he held Yue closer.

Zuko continued to rage outside, lifting the ocean and destroying the ships that dared invade these waters. Isu and Hachi drew closer, grim looks on their faces as they avoided looking at the bodies that littered the streets.

Tui swam out of Yue's hands, the lake glowing with them. Above, a faded image of Yue appeared, floating closer to Sokka. "Goodbye, Sokka." She leaned in, only centimetres apart. "I'll always be with you." As they kissed, Yue faded from this plane of existence, and the moon began to shine again.

Isu grinned as she watched the moon. "La! Look! Tui's alive. They're alive and waiting for you! Stop this! It's okay!" Isu circled Zuko and the ocean spirit, watching La calm down. "It's okay. I'll guide you back." Fading, La dropped Zuko, who fell out of the avatar state, only caught by Hachi.

~~~

Zhao glanced up, shaking his head. "It can't be!" Zhao spun as he watched the bison land behind him. "Get me out of here!" Zhao rushed to Spot's side as Hajime shook his head.

"No." Slicing forward, Hajime threw Zhao over the edge, watching him latch onto the edge desperately.

"Why?"

Hajime slid off Spot's side, walking to Zhao's side. "You shouldn't have hurt the spirits." Stomping down on Zhao's hand, Hajime watched Zhao fall, disappearing into the water. "Let's go, Spot. I think it's time for a road trip."

Spot crooned, licking Hajime's face as he climbed onto his back and took off unnoticed.