Part 41~Compromise

Setting up the camp, the gang rushed about, Sokka on the tent duty.

Looking around, Katara narrowed her eyes. "Aren't you forgetting the tarp?"

"Right, got it." Sokka picked up the tarp, throwing it inside the tent.

"Sokka, you're supposed to put the tarp on top of the tent. You know, so we don't get rain on?"

Sokka looked up at the sky, gesturing at the clear blue. "Ordinarily, you'd be right, but seeing how it's the dry season, you're not. Besides that tarp makes a pretty warm blanket."

"But what if it does rain?"

"What if it doesn't? Then I would have put up the tarp for nothing."

"You're infuriating!"

"Katara, why don't you worry about gathering firewood because that kindling is looking pretty sorry."

"Don't worry about it, I've got enough," Zuko announced, bringing in the extra firewood.

"And I've put the tarp up, so just spend the night in this tent," Isu suggested when the two siblings continued fighting.

"Well, if you don't like my firewood-" Katara threw her sticks at Sokka, not finishing the statement.

"Fine by me, if you're not gonna do your job-" Sokka pulled the tent down as Iroh and Hachi walked out of the forest.

"Okay, we've got the grub if you guys got the-" Hachi paused, Iroh and he sharing a look when they noticed the rattled campsite. "Hey, where's the campfire? And what happened to the tent?"

"Why don't you ask Miss Know-It-All, Queen of the Twigs?!" Sokka glared at Katara as she growled.

"Oh yeah? Well, you're Mister Lazy Bum, King of the tents!" Katara picked up one of the twigs, throwing it at Sokka.

Gulping, Zuko stared in worry as Hachi pushed him forward. "Okay, listen, guys, harsh words won't solve problems, action will. Why don't you fight it out?"

"Zuko!" Hachi hit Zuko on the back of the head, causing him to cough.

"Right, what about you swap jobs? Katara does the other tent and Sokka gets the rest of the firewood."

"Sounds good." Katara nodded, walking towards the tent.

Hachi smiled, patting Zuko's shoulder. "There you go. Only a small nudge and you’re settling feuds and making peace, being a proper Avatar."

Zuko hung his head. "That was the most terrifying thing I've done in my life."

~~~

"There it is, guys, The Great Divide." Iroh stepped forward, looking over the canyon.

"Wow, I could just stare at it forever," Katara whispered in awe.

"Okay, I've seen enough." Sokka shook his head, walking to the side.

"How can you not be fascinated, Sokka? This is the largest canyon in the entire world." Katara held up her hands, finding the idea impossible.

"Then I'm sure we'll be able to see it very clearly from the air while we fly away."

Before Sokka could walk away, a strange man walked past him. "If you're looking for the canyon guide, I was here first!"

Katara's eyes sparkled, looking over the man. He was dressed all in white, a long white beard on his face. "A canyon guide? Sounds informative."

"Believe me, he's more than a tour guide, he's an Earthbender." The man held his head high, unaware of Sokka mocking him in the background. "And the only way in and out of the canyon is with his help and he's taking my tribe across next."

"Calm down," Sokka snapped, rolling his eyes, "we know you're next."

"You wouldn't be so calm if the Fire Nation destroyed your home and forced you to flee! My whole tribe has to walk thousands of miles to the capital city of ba Sing Se."

"You're a refugee," Katara gasped as the man rolled his eyes.

"Huh, tell me something I don't know."

Isu smirked, hopping down. "How about the fact that there are actually six safe paths through the canyon, not one?" She grinned as Katara slapped her forehead, spotting a group of poorly dressed people walking towards them.

"Is that your tribe?"

Scoffing, the man lifted his head. "It most certainly is not. That's the Zhang tribe, a bunch of low-life thieves. They've been the enemies of my tribe for a hundred years." He paused to whistle to the Zhangs. "Hey, Zhangs! I'm saving a spot for my tribe so don't even think about stealing it!"

The Zhang leader scoffed. "Where are the rest of the Gan Jin? Still tidying up their campsite?"

"Yes, but they sent me ahead of them to hold a spot."

"I didn't know the canyon guide took reservations."

"Of course, you didn't! That's the ignorance I'd expect from a messy Zhang. So unorganised and ill-prepared for a journey."

The Zhang tribe members yelled out in protest, making the gang look at each other in worry.

Screaming, Isu jumped as the rocks underneath her were pulled up to reveal the canyon guide. "Sorry about that and sorry about the wait, youngsters. Who's ready to cross this canyon?"

Pausing, Katara pointed to the group. "One of them, I think."

The fancy dressed man ran forward. "I was here first, my party's on their way."

"I can't guide people who aren't here," the guide smiled as the Zang leader stepped forward.

"Guess you guys will have to make the trip tomorrow," the Zhang leader mocked as the fancy man spotted his tribe.

"Ait, here they come!" The tribe- much like the first man- were dressed in white as they walked forward.

"You're not seriously gonna cave in to these spoiled Gan Jins? I mean we're refugees too! And we've got sick people that need shelter." The Zhang leader turned to the canyon guide who started to look overwhelmed.

"We've got old people who are weary from travelling."

"Sick people get priority over old people!"

"Maybe you Zhangs wouldn't have so many sick people if you weren't such slobs."

"If you Gan Jins weren't so clean you wouldn't live to be so old."

Stepping back, Zuko tried to back out of the frame as Hachi grabbed him. "Come on Zuko, ready to put your peace-making skills to the test?"

Zuko gulped. "I don't know, a fight over chores is one thing but these people have been feuding for a hundred years. Plus, I am still the evil prince."

Shaking his head, Hachi pushed Zuko forward. "You'll be fine. Everybody listen up! This is the Avatar and if you give him a chance, I'm sure he can come up with a compromise that will make everyone happy."

Taking in a deep breath, Zuko waved awkwardly. "You could share the Earthbender and travel together?"

Scoffing, the Gan Jin leader shook his head. "Absolutely not! We'd rather be taken by the Fire Nation than travel with those stinking thieves!"

Gasping in offence, the Zhang leader glared at the other tribe. "We wouldn't travel with those pompous fools anyway!"

The two tribes began shouting once more as Hachi patted Zuko's shoulder, giving him the confidence to speak up again. "All right, here's the deal. You're all going down together. Corno and Pickle will fly your sick and elderly across! Does that seem fair?"

Both leaders slowly nodded in agreement as Isu helped the two sets of people onto the bison.