Part 5~Challenge

Isu gasped as she ducked around the corner. "That was too close." Glancing around the dock, Isu tried to get her bearings. "We should hide out until night, then we'll use the stars to get back home."

Hachi blinked in shock. "You can do that?"

"Of course I can. Grandpa taught me. He said that being an Airbender wasn't just about moving air around us. It's about everything the air touches. The sky, the world, the spirits. The stars are a part of the sky; the very peek of the air that touches far beyond our reach. As long as you can read the stars, you will never get lost." Isu hugged her legs, placing her chin on her knees.

"I never knew he taught you that stuff."

"Yeah, you skipped out once you learnt the physical stuff."

"That's not fair. I stopped going when he became obsessed with teaching us how to train the avatar, which apparently I am. He messed up pretty bad to not notice that huh?"

Isu glanced at her brother, shaking her head. "Wow, you're both so dense. It took me and Iroh ten minutes to work it out. Grandpa never makes mistakes." Standing up, Isu smiled as she walked down the street. "Come on, Iroh gave us enough money to get a good place to rest and rent a boat back home."

"Wait..." Hachi jumped up. "Iroh helped us escape?"

~~~

"Search the city! We cannot let them escape!" Zhao swiped his arm to the side as his officers charged out the door. Spinning on his feet, Zhao glared at Zuko. "Now, what were you saying about not finding the avatar?"

Zuko growled, pushing past Zhao. "You want to go over that now! We have to go out there and find Hachiro before he gets away!"

"Hachiro, huh? Is that the avatar's new name? Well, sorry Prince Zuko, but you're not leaving. You've already lost the avatar once, I'm taking over." Grabbing Zuko's shoulder, Zhao threw Zuko back. "My search party is ready to reclaim the avatar. Once I have found him, my guard will escort you back to your ship and you'll be free to go."

Coughing, Zuko pushed himself up. "Why? Are you worried I'm going to try and stop you? We both want the same thing."

Zhao scoffed, an amused smirk on his face. "You? Stop me? Impossible."

Zuko pushed himself up, a harsh scowl on his face. "Don't underestimate me, Zhao! I will capture the avatar before you!"

Iroh watched the two hot-headed Firebenders, he hoped to hold them off long enough for Hachiro and Isu to get away. All he had to do was let them argue themselves out.

Zhao lifted his chin with a confident edge. "You can't compete with me. I have hundreds of warships under my command and you? You're just a banished prince. No home, no allies. Your own father doesn't even want you."

"You're wrong! Once I deliver the Avatar to my father, he will welcome me home with honour and restore my rightful place on the throne!"

"If your father really wanted you home, he would have let you return by now. Avatar or no Avatar. But in his eyes, you are a failure and a disgrace to the Fire Nation."

Zuko stumbled, his eyes widening. "That's not true."

"You have the scar to prove it."

Screaming in frustration, Zuko jolted up and out of his seat. "Maybe you'd like one to match!"

"Is that a challenge?"

"An Agni Kai. At sunset."

"Very well." Zhao calmed himself down, straightening his clothes. "It's a shame your father won't be here to watch me humiliate you. I guess your uncle will do." Zhao locked eyes with Iroh before walking away.

Iroh looked at Zuko in horror. "Prince Zuko, have you forgotten what happened last time you duelled a master?"

Unable to stop himself, Zuko pressed against his scar. "I will never forget."

~~~

Isu gasped as she walked around the room. "It's so colourful!" The green walls were decorated with white bases. The ground has a strong wooden floorboard holding them up. Two simple beds were pushed against the wall. Isu smiled as she fell back into her bed and stared up at the ceiling.

"How long do we have to wait until you can... read the stars?" Hachi gestured vaguely into the sky as Isu chuckled.

"Until the stars are visible. Without a bison, that's hard to say. Clouds could block them out or light pollution could make it impossible to see enough to get a clear location."

Hachi opened and closed his mouth, again and again, unable to form any words.

"Grandpa warned me of the differences when living down here. He was a smart man." Isu sighed as she leaned her head against the window seal. "I miss him."

Hachi's eyes flickered as he sighed. "I know you do." A long pause stretched out as Hachi wayed up his options. "How about when we get back home you teach me some of the other sides of Airbending."

Isu's eyes sparkled as she jumped up. "Hell yeah! Knew I would win you over eventually!"

Hachi rolled his eyes, sitting back down on his bed. "It's getting dark. We should rest before the stars come out."

"Maybe you should be more worried about you coming out than the stars. I saw your little blush on the ship." Isu smirked as her brother flushed.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Laughing maniacally, Isu continued her tease until Hachi convinced her he had fallen asleep.

~~~

Zhao squatted down, waiting for the fight to start. He was bare-chested and barefoot, wearing a cape over his shoulders. Zuko didn't step out just yet, he couldn't.

"Remember your Firebending basics," Iroh started, "Prince Zuko, they are your greatest weapons."

Zuko nodded but he wasn't really listening. "I refuse to let him win." Standing up, Zuko turned, draping his cape over his shoulder. "This is for my honour, I won't lose."