Part 9~Destiny

"Zuko, are you sure about this, we do not know who that stranger was. She could work for your father, she could be trying to kill you." Iroh wouldn't deny he was worried. After the Agni kai finished Zuko became obsessed with finding out the location the supposed 'savour' gave him.

"We must find her! She could be the key to finding the avatar!" Zuko smirked as he slammed his hands on the table. "Aha! Found it!" Zuko circled the space as he grabbed the map and charged for the door.

Iroh shook his head as he watched Zuko leave. "Somehow I don't think that is her plan."

~~~

Isu yawned as she leaned against Katara's shoulder. They had been waiting too long. She was too tired. Hachi sighed as he spotted Isu. He took a moment to cover Isu with his jacket before sitting away from the two girls.

"Hey, aren't you going to get cold like that?" Sokka stepped over, a mix of emotions displayed on his face.

Hachi chuckled slightly, hugging his legs. "Cold? What's that?"

Sokka frowned, his brotherly instincts taking over. "You shouldn't stay out in the cold like this. You'll get frostbite." Sokka tutted as he pulled out several thick blankets. "A good soldier always leaves expecting to get stuck. He should bring several supplies for those occasions." Sokka wrapped Hachi up before curling up in one himself.

"Good advice but he? I'm pretty sure if either of those two heard you say that they would have a fit." Hachi laughed as he glanced at Isu who had moved closer to Katara for her warmth.

Sokka shook his head. "Well, girls can't be soldiers."

Hachi blinked in confusion. "Why not?"

Sokka opened and closed his mouth several times before waving his arms about hastily. "Because they can't fight!"

"Isu is a better fighter than I am. She spent her whole life training to be an Airbender. And the avatar themself has been female a number of times. Are you saying the great Kyoshi who formed the Kyoshi warriors can't fight?" Hachi smiled as he watched Sokka's worldview slowly shatter around him. "That's what I thought but if you ever tell Isu I said she was the better fighter we will have issues."

Sokka laughed, leaning back in joy. "Don't worry, I've got you covered." Sokka settled down, both falling into a peaceful silence neither had encountered for a long time. "Hey, what's that?"

Both turned their attention across the snowy plane, two figures approaching from the far. "Guys, wake up." Hachi gently shook Ichi awake, she snapped up and jumped away from Katara while screaming apologies. "Will you be quiet and look. They're here."

Katara slowly stood as Ichi led the walk, jumping down the snow hill and stopping just before Iroh and Zuko.

Zuko looked as if his brain had stopped working. "You? You're the one who wanted to meet with me?!" Spinning on his foot, Zuko screamed at Iroh. "Did you know about this?!"

Iroh smiled as he chuckled. "No, but I hoped. It would be the better alternative."

Zuko groaned, muttering that he should have known before his eyes caught Sokka and Katara. "And you've found help. Just great. Well, if you think I'm going down without a fight, you're wrong! I will capture you and restore my honour!" Zuko pointed to Hachi, a determined glint in his eyes.

Sokka growled. "If you want him, you'll have to go through me!"

"Everybody calm down! Trust me, I would love nothing more than to have a bit fight but that's not why I brought you here." Isu stepped between Zuko and Hachi, holding out her hands calmly. "We need to talk."

Zuko raised an eyebrow as he lifted his head higher. "What is there to talk about?"

"We need to talk about the test; about who the avatar is; about your destiny."

"My destiny is to capture the avatar!"

"No, it's not. That path was chosen by someone who abandoned his own. This war should have never happened. This should have never happened however, it has and now this is your chance to make things right."

"Make things right? You're suggesting I join you?"

Isu could feel Iroh watching her as she lowered herself into a bow. "No, I'm suggesting we join you. Long ago, I made the choice about who I am and what I was destined for. I chose to follow that path no matter where it leads me or what challenges lie ahead. And even though you're not the person I thought you would be, I believe destiny chose you for a reason and I will trust her. I will trust you and follow you, avatar Zuko."

Zuko gasped as Hachi bowed alongside his sister. Katara and Sokka took a second before following in suit.

"You think I'm the avatar! No! The avatar is an Airbender!"

Ichi shook her head. "No, the avatar was an airbender. The avatar you're thinking of is avatar Ava and she died when the fire nation first attacked. She was the first to die. I don't know what happened to the other avatar's that came before you, they probably died before they even knew who they were. You are the avatar now and it is my mission to train and protect you."

Zuko stumbled backwards, looking to Iroh beggingly. "This isn't true... Tell me this isn't true!"

"I'm so sorry nephew, I realised the second you ran the test on Hachiro. I wish I could tell you otherwise however, this might be good. You can restore your honour your way and carve your own path into history. I believe in your Zuko as do these people." Iroh motioned to the gang as Hachi stood up.

"I'm not like my sister, I don't really believe in you but if she does, I will." Hachi placed a hand on Isu's shoulder as she smiled.

"So what do you say Zuko, ready to become the next Avatar?" Isu offered out her hand as Zuko shook his head.

"No, this is... this is too much." Zuko turned, running away.

"Zuko!"