Chapter Fifteen.

XV.                                            Heartbreak Weather

      There's something haunting about thinking something terrible will happen after something good happens

      There's something haunting about thinking something terrible will happen after something good happens. It eats you alive, gnaws itself at your bones, bends your jaw until it feels like it'll break; being hurt does that to a person. It's like standing under the sun and never feeling it's warmth. Odessa asked all the time why she didn't feel happy. Why she was always scared to be happy. She was hurting, constantly hurting. How much strength does it take to hurt a little girl? How much strength does it take for the girl to het over it?

Odessa was very young when she cracked open. Some thing you should let go of, others you shouldn't, she keeps ahold of everything because it's hard to let go of. Her whole life, the only thing she's known is disappointment. She was hurt. Hurt people don't see the good in life when it's standing in front of them.

But Eli was good. He was the light at the end of her tunnel. He didn't disappear, he didn't run away, he was right in front of her, greeting her with a smile. He was real. Nothing bad was going to happen.

"Hi, beautiful." The boy greeted her at the dojo.

Odessa smiled as his arms wrapped around her neck. "Hi." She giggled back and wrapped her around his torso. She leaned in and kissed him. She took notice of the scooters him and Miguel were riding. "Nice scooters."

"We won't have them for long. Don't worry." He told her and one of his arms remained over her shoulder. He walked between her and Miguel. "I get my license next week. My mom's gonna give me her Sentra. I'm thinking about putting a blue racing stripe down the middle, hood to tail."

"Subtle. I like it." Said Miguel.

When they turned the corner of the strip mall, they were saw a group of new kids standing by the entrance way. "Looks like we got some new students." Miguel stated.

Eli grew a smirk. "Fresh fish."

Odessa scoffed lightly hit his chest. "Be nice."

They watched her walk towards them. "Look, it's the champ!" One of the new kids shouted out and pointed to her.

Odessa smiled as they all looked at her with excitement. "You can just call me Odessa." She said and held out her hand.

He immediately shook it. "Hi, i'm Chris."

"I'm Mitch." Said another boy beside him and he held out his hand.

Odesa smiled and shook it. "It's nice to meet you guys."

Eli and Miguel watched the interaction. "Check this out," Eli said and walked off.

"No, don't!" Miguel interjected with a small grin but followed him nonetheless.

Eli came and stood beside his girlfriend. He grabbed her hand. "Hey, mouth breathers. Move it." He demanded.

"Sorry about that—"