Chapter Four.

IV.                                             Heartbreak Weather

                                             Heartbreak Weather

      When he said her name, Odessa tensed up. She wanted to hide inside her locker. She'd been avoiding him and everyone all day. But at some point she needed to grow up. She turned around and faced him. "Hey, Eli."

The boy stood there nervously, his eyes darting all over the place. "I-I was just checking on you." He stuttered, his mouth feeling dry.

The blonde girl nodded slightly and pressed her books for her chest. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to run out like that. But I really can't explain why I did it." She didn't know how.

She didn't want to be seen with someone like him. Eli thought. He knew this. He was used to it. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I'm really sorry." He looked side to side of them and leaned towards her. "But, I want to you that I'm not like them. Kylee, Yasmine, Joey. . . I would never do anything like that."

"I know that."  She quickly nodded, hating that that's what he thought. "I would never think of you to do something like that. It's just. . ." She paused. "I really can't explain it."

"I understand," he muttered. He was disappointed and it showed, but he didn't want to hurt her feelings. "Um, Miguel, Demetri, and I are studying in the library during free period? Do you want to come?"

He watched her shut her locker and she turned to him with a smile. "I'll see you there." She brushed his shoulder with hers and walked down the hallway.

Eli stared at her from across the library. He watched her scan the rows of books with delicate eyes. His chin was rested on his hand, spaced out, his lips parted slightly. Miguel snapped his fingers in front of his face, making him snap out of it. "Stare at her long enough and your eyes will dry out."

The boy went back to studying with a red face.

"So that's it? No more karate?" Demetri continued their conversation.

"I guess so."

"Karate?"  Odessa joined them and sat in the empty chair beside Eli, putting her book on the table.

Miguel nodded. "Yeah,  my sensei—Well, I guess ex sensei—tried opening up a karate dojo but I was the only student and my mom doesn't want me to do it so he had no choice but to quit."

"It's probably for the best. It was starting to boost your confidence." Said Demetri.

Odessa furrowed her brows. "Isn't that a good thing?"

"No!  What has confidence ever gotten anybody except for a black eye and their backpacks thrown in the trash?" He said with a grumble.

Eli glanced up from his textbook. "I thought it was kind of cool how you stood up to Kyler." He said shyly, surprising them all.