Chapter Thirty-eight

Three Days Later

Rainy

I opened my eyes but I squint at how bright the lighting is already. The bluriness only made me want to close my eyes and try it again. I took a deep breath as a touch of a warm hand, cradled my forehead and a small hum followed behind. I tried to open them again, only to see cleared as the seconds passed. My hand had a bandage on it, my face was hurting, and my back hurt the worst.

I turned my head and squinted a little. Michael sits next to me and he looked different to me. His hair was combed back, his eyes were pinkish looking, he was dressed wearing a white top and black pants.

"Mi-" I licked my dried lips and took a breath, "Michael?" I looked at him and he smiled. Tears flowed down his eyes as he stands up and kissed me on the cheek.

"I didn't know when I was going to see your eyes open again." He said as I moved over a little so he could lay on the bed with me.

"Where's," I cleared my throat, "Where's Janet?" I asked him. He leans over on his side and looked at me. The sniffed as more tears fell from his eyes, he shakes his head slightly and then I knew before he could say it.

"No, Michael.. she's not." I said as tears flowed out of my eyes lids, " Please tell me.. " I said. He didn't speak more, he holds on to me as I cried with him. The worst part, I feel like this is my fault.

He wiped his eyes and I wiped mine the best way that I could. "I'm just glad that your awake, I am alone now." He said, "I couldn't eat really once we got here and the doctor had to tell me to get refreshed. I left awhile ago and took a hot shower, changed clothes, I ate something and then I came back." He said.

" You are not alone, I am here with you. I'm so sorry baby. How long have I been in here?  Angela you know she's..?" as I paused, he only nodded.

"I left the hospital that same day and once I pulled up, everything was over. I talked to the officer and I just felt numb, I didn't go to see her body or anything. I just got in the ambulance with you." He said.

This only made me feel really weird because I thought that people who had been married would cry or something. However, because it has been six years for them, Michael never cried. I could tell he broke for Janet but with Angela it was this coldness over came him.

"I fell out of love with Angela for a long time. I just feel like it's only the beginning for us now. It's not your fought. The problem is forever gone, I'm hurt but I'm not as hurt for her, like I am for my sister." He said as more tears fell.

I swallowed hard then the doctor comes in. He was tall and he looked like he was about Michael's age or maybe he looked about 50. He smiled only a little as he looked at both of us.

"Hello, Miss Artis, Mr. Jackson. How are we feeling?" He asked as he walked forward. Michael gets up, removing the warmth I felt under him, that I missed so much.

"I feel okay. Why is my back sore?" I asked. Michael clears his throat, "I'm okay. Thanks." He said.

The doctor nods and looked at me, "Ms Artis, you had an adrenaline rush and got pushed into something hard and it fractured the lower parts of your back region. We placed metal pieces, to align the left portion of your spine. But it shall heal on its own, however I will prescribe you some pain medication." He said.