forty-one

- Chapter Forty-One -
"But he's my family and no one hurts my family."

"We're not gonna make it!" Diego yelled out to Five and Primrose as they ran across the field, every bullet piercing through the large purple shield Primrose had made missing them by only inches

"We're not gonna make it!" Diego yelled out to Five and Primrose as they ran across the field, every bullet piercing through the large purple shield Primrose had made missing them by only inches. It had held up nicely but was slowly beginning to crumble with the force of the many bullets hitting it but Prim couldn't afford to stop or even slow down a little bit so she couldn't make a new one.

She was running in between the two brothers, half-tempted to push Diego in front of them because she knew for a fact that he could run faster than her but for some reason he was staying by their side. But pushing him would slow herself down and once again, she didn't want to risk it and get a bullet through the chest for helping Diego stay alive.

Five grabbed onto Prim's arm and she snapped her eyes to it as he pushed her sideways into Diego, bodies colliding harshly as Five reached round and put another one of his hands on Diego now that Primrose was squished in between them and he could actually reach his brother.

"What are you doing?" He asked just before the three of them were submerged into a blue blip and stumbled out of it again now closer to the barn with their feet denting the snow below them instead of grass which they had previously been on.

It wasn't far that they had jumped, but enough to get them towards a red tractor thing they could hide behind. Primrose nearly fell at the sudden jump but she grabbed onto Diego for support and he tried to hold her up as much as he could whilst keeping them running.

"Five, I think I'm gonna puke." Diego called over the sound of the bullets as he tripped over his feet the slightest bit, Prim now being the one pulling him up as best she could as their legs worked tirelessly to take them further towards the tractor.

"No time!" Five got ahead of them, ducking behind the red vehicle and being followed quickly by Diego and Primrose.

They sat with their backs against the metal and Primrose was the first one to get out of her position, Diego going to grab her if she decided to stupidly stand up but all she did was look towards Five and cup his face in her hands, taking his brother by surprise. Five closed his eyes in exasperation but let Prim moved his head and touch his arms to check him for injuries.

"Are you hit?" She asked hurriedly, Five murmuring a soft no and she moved to Diego, forgetting about past arguments as she grabbed his face the same way she had done with Five, checked him, before checking his arms and body too. "Are you hit?"

"No." He panted, taking Prim's hands in his and moving them away from him slowly as bullets hit and ricocheted off the tractor. She nodded and sat back against the tractor, breathing just as heavily as they were.

"What now?" Five muttered to himself, warily glancing behind him at the noise of bullets coming over the tractor.

"We blink into the house, man!" Diego yelled and Prim nodded, letting Five grasp her arm again as he put his other hand on Diego's knee and stared at the house with purpose.