forty

- Chapter Forty -
"Lila."

"All of you, just get the hell back!"

It was safe to say that Vanya had been completely correct about Harlan being in danger, not that Primrose doubted her but the scene that the family had come across when arriving at the farm had not been what Prim had been expecting. She didn't know what she might've expected, maybe a simple case of thrumming energy but this was anything but simple; electricity was crackling out of the barn and sending a cold front around the whole farm.

Their feet had crunched in snow whilst they exited the car with wide eyes and furrowed eyebrows at the shaking barn and they could barely hear one another unless they shouted over the loud thrumming and crackling. A blonde woman had come out of the barn with a gun and Primrose, presuming this was Sissy, just left it to Vanya to calm her down.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" Vanya asked, a hand being stretched out towards the woman with a gun as if to quell her panic whilst Klaus raised his hands in defence from beside Primrose and she couldn't help but raise hers when Sissy pointed the barrel of the gun in her general direction.

"Carl." Sissy panted, glancing at Vanya but keeping the gun pointed at the rest of them.

"What did he do to you?" Vanya asked worriedly and Prim glanced in between the two of them, one of the few things she absolutely despises in this world is men who think they can abuse their wives or just women in general.

"He's..." Sissy shook her head, her blonde locks flying side to side whilst her eyes closed too. "He's dead. Harlan tossed him aside like a rag doll, same way you sent those policemen flyin'. What did you do to him?"

"No-" Vanya shook her head, frowning slightly.

"Vanya, what the hell did you do to my son?" Sissy repeated.

"We don't have time for this, Vanya." Diego spoke up, glancing at his sister before going to walk forward and when Primrose saw Sissy turn her gun towards him, she grabbed his arm to stop his walking against her better judgement and he froze as he realised the barrel was pointed his way.

"Where do you think you're going, mister?" She asked him, narrowing her eyes as the other called out for Diego to stop as well despite the fact that he was stood still and Primrose had a hand on his arm which she quickly took off.

"To help your son." Diego put a hand out towards her just like Vanya had earlier.

"Look, Sissy, I found my family." Vanya told her and her attention left Diego and returned to Vanya but the gun was still pointed towards him which prompted him not to make another move. "These are my brothers and my sister and my friend."

"Ma'am." Luther raised a hand and nodded in greeting as Sissy looked around at them all with wide eyes, Primrose gave a small smile and a tiny wave too.