Chapter No.86. Who done it?

The call came in from the FBI and Robert answered it.

"We have an unusual case that has stumped us."

"Sounds interesting. I'll be there shortly." He teleported to Mark and Joe's office and immediately sensed that they were on edge.

"What's up?"

Mark sighed. "This is a potentially a capital crime that's going to cause a stink. Someone murdered Rick Fenton, the governor of California, and we can't solve it."

"I assume that means the initial clues didn't hint at anything or anybody."

"Exactly. A thorough forensic examination of the body and the crime scene came up blank. It's as if he was killed by some hidden method."

"And something like that would point to us, right?"

"Yes, but we reminded them that it was unlikely."

"First of all, we would never murder anyone, at least not in a sneaky way. This has to be a case of finding what the motive was."

"Yes," Mark said. "But it's not obvious. He was well received by both parties in California as being able to work in a bipartisan manner. He has no history that would indicate a family problem. His marriage was sound, and he had three sons and a daughter, none of whom would flag a motive."

Robert rubbed his jaw. "Hmm. That is weird." He sighed. "Well, when no obvious motive is obvious it requires looking for the unobvious. How long ago did this happen?"

"Three days ago," Joe said.

"They didn't give you much time to solve it. Where was the murder committed?"

"In his office at the Governor's mansion."

"That's at 1526 H Street, Sacramento, California, right?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll go round up some of my crew to see what we can find."

Robert teleported home and immediately summoned James.

"What's up?" he asked.

"The FBI has a case that they can't solve. It involves the murder of the governor of California."

"Yeah, that's all over the internet."

"A forensic examination of the crime scene didn't come up with anything. I suspect it's something more ominous."

"I sense a demon in the bush."

Robert smiled. "My thoughts exactly."

"Maybe we need Baby Jack and Sparky for this," James said.

"Yes, I think you're right. We'll take them with us to the scene of the crime."

Baby Jack and Sparky appeared. Sparky's tail was wagging, and Baby Jack was smiling.

"Eager, aren't they."

James laughed.

They teleported to an office in an elaborate Victorian mansion sitting prominently in a historic park. The office was obviously modernized but it still retained its historic feel.

Sparky went to work sniffing out the objects in the room while Baby Jack used his powers to see things that no one else could. After several minutes, Baby Jack had a prognosis. "Sparky has sensed an evil smell, Grand Dad. I believe it's the residue of a demon."

Robert turned to James. "Do you get the notion that we're inferior?"

James chuckled. "I hear you."