Chapter No.19. Dilemma.

It was like most days, a gentle breeze kissing leaves on trees along a boulevard of commerce with people headed off to work or school. Janet got out of her car with her portfolio and her phone and began her walk to the Credit Union building. Suddenly, a limousine pulled up next to her and a guy dressed in black grabbed her and pulled her into the limousine.

Janet didn't have time to express her displeasure because her mouth was taped shut.

Robert sensed that his wife was in peril, but he wasn't sure how to react to the obvious kidnapping. He had to think through his plan to rescue her without causing any harm.

Janet was relieved of her portfolio, phone, and most of her clothing. She sat on a metal chair with her wrists secured to the arm rests, her legs tied to the chair legs. Obviously, she wasn't going anywhere soon. What she didn't realize was the fact that she was sitting on a bomb, and the detonator was right under her bottom.

Her kidnappers made sure that she realized that she was sitting on a bomb. It made her shiver even though it was warm. Sweat formed on her forehead and she began to whimper.

What the perpetrators didn't understand, or maybe they did, was that Robert could visualize all of this. Basically, he couldn't rush in there and release her. For one thing, the detonator trigger was not the only way the explosive could be detonated. One of the goons held a remote device that could accomplish that.

Robert studied the design of the explosive's detonator and realized that it was rather sophisticated. He had to work through the design in his mind's eye to see if there was a method that he could use to bypass the mechanisms and deactivate it.

Then, it popped into his mind that he didn't have to do any of that. All he needed to do was cause time to reverse just long enough for him to make the explosive disappear. However, he wasn't sure he could just make things disappear.

James heard his father making noise out in the garage and went to see what he was doing.

"What's up, Dad?"

Robert turned to him momentarily before he looked at a collection of junk in the corner of the garage. "I'm seeing if I can make things disappear."

James laughed. "That would be a cool way to dispose of stuff, although the waste management company wouldn't like it."

Robert chuckled. "Yeah, that's true." He stared at an old broken wet vac and it vanished.

"All right!" James exclaimed, holding his hand up for a high five.

Robert reciprocated before making a pile of old bottles vanish.

James smiled at him.

"I'll be back," he told his son before he teleported to the location where his wife was being held. The rusty run-down warehouse was far enough away from the bustle of the city to keep nosy people from noticing anything.

Robert made time stop, except for him and his wife. He appeared in front of her and pulled the tape from her mouth. Three men dressed in black stood like statues nearby.

"I'm sitting on a bomb!" his wife exclaimed with sweat beaded on her forehead and her face twisted with fear.

"Yes, I know. I'm going to make it disappear."

He used his powers to make the explosive device vanish before he started time up again.

The men looked at him without emotion.

"I think you gentlemen shouldn't be treating a lady like this."

"You are a fool!" one of the men exclaimed. His face looked familiar, but Robert wasn't interested in carrying on a conversation.