Chapter No.36. Reality.

"What's wrong?" Janet asked her husband. James was also alert and ready to go no matter the mission.

"Someone just shot and killed President Hollis."

"Who?" she asked.

"I think it's some anarchist," Robert said. "Let's go fix this."

Attired in their superhero outfits, the Steris family appeared in the Oval Office to a chaotic scene. The President was lying on the floor with a stream of blood staining his face and the floor. Harold Wells, the chief of staff and Marion Finestein, the head of Capitol Police, were trying to get medical assistance.

They were startled by the sudden appearance of the superheroes.

"When did this happen?" Robert asked.

"Twenty minutes ago," Marion replied.

Robert looked at the dead president and then at Marion. "Okay, there are two ways we can fix this. One is to resurrect him. The other is to reverse time to a point just before he's shot."

"Reverse time?" Marion said, her face twisted with disbelief.

"Yes. I . . . we can reverse time. What we will do then is freeze it at just before the assassin pulls the trigger. I will grab the gun and you will constrain whoever it is that did this."

She blinked several times before she reacted. "Okay, I'm ready."

James began the process of stopping time. Everything stopped, including the second hand of the large wall clock hanging on the wall and any movement from outside the windows. Everything was silent and frozen in place.

"Okay, I'll reverse the time now and then stop it at the appropriate time. All of us will remain here."

As time slowly backed up, the hands on the wall clock reversed and slowly began to go counterclockwise. Eventually, the president's eyes opened and the blood streaming from a hole in his forehead reversed, flowing back up and into his head. He arose from the floor as if being lifted by an invisible force as gravity reversed its grip on him. The gunman popped into existence with his gun pointed at the president. A bullet popped out of the president's head and flowed back into the muzzle of the Glock automatic with the fire of the gunpowder flashing into the muzzle with it. The gunman stood holding the weapon pointed at the president.

"Okay, I've stopped time just before he pulls the trigger. I'll go over to him and snatch the weapon out of his hand before he fires it." He looked at Marion. "You restrain him."

Marion nodded.

Robert started up time again and grabbed the weapon, startling the gunman, a young man with jet black hair and beard. Marion grabbed him and threw him to the floor before pulling his hands behind him and slapping cuffs on his wrists.

He yelled, but it only startled the president.

"What the hell is going on here?" the president asked.

"Ah, we saved you from getting assassinated by this young man, sir. I had to reverse time to a point just before he pulled the trigger of this weapon." He held the weapon up so that the president could take it.

"My son video taped the entire event," Robert said. "He'll transfer it to your system so that it can be used to convict this would be assassin."

"How did you know he was going to shoot me?" the president asked.

"I sensed it happening, sir. Evidently, we were destined to save you."

The president shook his head. "You never cease to amaze me. What I don't understand is why you keep helping us."