Chapter No.56. Digital War.

The Steris family, along with their adopted member, were surprised by what President Hollis told them.

"The US has come under a concerted attack against our information systems. The NSA is up to their necks trying to stop it."

"What sort of attack is it?" James asked.

"I'm not sure. I think it best that you go to the NSA headquarters NSAnet lab. Jeremy Talbot, the head of the NSA, is there along with a group of tech experts who can fill you in."

Robert nodded before he and his team appeared there. It was obvious that the tech people were busy as beavers trying to figure out what had happened.

Talbot stared at the superheroes for a moment before saying anything, "I'm not sure what you could do to stop this attack. 'Somehow they got through a backdoor and introduced a hack of the main code."

"I don't think they did it from a signal. This lab is shielded with copper and you're using SHA-4 encryption," James said. "My guess is that it's an inside attack."

Jeremy looked at James with concern showing in his expression. "So far, we've not been able to find the code that caused this."

"I think we could do that," James said.

"I can help you," Sylvia added.

Jeremy gestured to an IT tech, a young woman with short cropped red hair. "Let them have access."

The woman led James and Sylvia to a computer system and after she typed on some keys, she turned to the two young superheroes. "I'm not sure what you could find in any reasonable time."

Sylvia sat down and placed her fingers on the keyboard. James stood behind her. With a few clicks, the main code began scrolling at a mind-bending speed. The woman IT tech didn't understand how they were able to read anything that fast.

After a few minutes, Sylvia stopped the scrolling and pointed at the screen. "There's your problem."

The woman IT tech stared at the code she was pointing at and shook her head. "Yep, that's it."

Sylvia stood up, allowing the woman to sit down and begin the process of extracting the errant code.

Jeremy was amazed at how easily two teenagers were able to find the hack when his entire staff of twenty IT experts had been trying to locate it for two days. "Well, I must say that I didn't expect this. Thank you for your timely help."

"Helping is what we're about," Robert said.

"You must realize that you are the first people without secret clearance to get in here."

"There are no secrets that we cannot discern," Robert said.

Jeremy was taken aback by that claim, but he wasn't about to dispute it. "The next problem is trying to find out who did this."

"It was Russian cybercriminals," James said. "They always insert a special key in their code."

"How would you know that?"

"We are evidently blessed with lots of information that God figured we needed. If you wish, we could hack them."

Jeremy thought about that for a few moments before pointing to a computer that was different than the station computers that his staff used. "I would like to see that."

James smiled. "I'll let our super tech do the honors."

Sylvia smiled back before she went to the computer and began typing away. The first thing that Jeremy noted was that she was able to get into the system without being told what the password was, but what blew his mind was how quickly she was able to type in hacking code and send it out.

"That should keep them off of your necks for some time," she said.

Jeremy was both excited and dismayed by what she had done. It meant that the superheroes were Masters of Computer Science and could easily bring down the entire world's systems if they wanted to. It was yet another stark reminder of how truly powerful they were.

The superheroes did their vanishing act and returned home.

"I think we overdid that one," Robert said.

"Yeah, thanks to our supercomputer wizard here," James said, pointing to Sylvia.

She laughed.

Just then the Vestal Virgins appeared. "You have completed your training and are now free to do as you wish. We will now release all of the powers to you."

They vanished before any of the superheroes could ask a question.

"Does that mean we passed the God Experiment test?" Janet asked.

"Evidently, but they didn't tell us what grade we got," James said.

"What sort of powers are they giving us?" Sylvia asked. "I can't imagine what other powers we would need."

"Why would they tell us that we're free to do as we wish?" Robert said. "That sounds as if they're leaving us on our own."

"Evidently, the test is over, but the experiment is continuing," James said.

"Yeah, I think you're right," Robert said.

A call on Janet's phone piqued her curiosity. "Interesting,"

"What?" Robert asked.

"Margaret wants to talk to us."

"How'd she know your cell number?"

"I don't know. Maybe the President gave it to her."

Robert sighed. "Well, let's go see what she wants to talk about."

The superheroes teleported to her apartment, but they weren't wearing their outfits.

Margaret was there with her partner and they were both smiling.

"I wanted to tell you personally how much I am grateful for having saved me. I realize that some people don't approve of our arrangement here."

"God doesn't discriminate and neither do we," Robert replied.

"I'm surprised to hear that. Most religions don't approve of . . . "

"They're wrong. God isn't against sex as long as it isn't adultery or forced."

"I'm surprised that you would say that," Felicia said. "However, we don't live together because of sex. We are best friends and like to do things together. Apparently, the Saudis thought we were in a lustful arrangement and it's the reason they tortured her."

"Could be," Robert said. "We don't get into the whys of things. Our mission is to rescue people and save them from terminal illnesses."

"You are unusually special in many ways," Margaret said. "I've been all over this planet and have seen many different cultures and beliefs, but I've never met anyone like you. You do all of these marvelous things and never ask for anything."

"We're doing God's work. God doesn't ask for anything other than belief in Him and obeying the commandments."

"Wouldn't it be wonderful if everyone did that," Margaret said. "In any event, we thank you for all that you've done."

"You're welcome."

The Steris family returned home. They were happy that someone thanked them for doing their job, but their real mission was just getting started.