Chapter No.63. Awareness.

James and Sylvia were walking out of Freemont High to their car when they realized something wasn't right.

"Yeah, I see it!" James said before he and Sylvia vanished. They appeared in the sky over the intersection of Maple and High streets where a large van had collided with a school bus full of kids. The bus was on fire, and it was obvious that children were dying.

James and Sylvia landed and went to work. James extinguished the fire and Sylvia ripped the back off the bus so that she could get at the dead and dying. James joined her to begin the work that they were destined to do, but it wasn't a routine effort. Three children had suffered extensive burns and needed to be resurrected. Others had been banged around inside the bus bad enough to require major healing.

They started with the resurrections by placing their hands on the bodies and making the hideous destruction of their flesh disappear.

"Are we ever going to have children?" Sylvia asked James as they did their healing work.

"I don't think so, but things have changed for us all through this experiment."

"I suppose I shouldn't complain, but it's just that I often wonder what will happen to us . . . in the end that is."

"Maybe there isn't an end."

Sylvia began healing children that had suffered bad head injuries. "I can't imagine that we will remain as teenagers."

James started healing those children that had suffered broken limbs. "Maybe we'll be geriatric teens."

She guffawed. "Very funny!"

He laughed.

Rescue workers had begun to climb into the bus to help children out. When they saw the superheroes, they realized what had happened.

"The bus was on fire," James told them. "We had to resurrect three of them and heal quite a few of them."

"The bus driver needs some attention," one of the rescue men said.

James went to her and saw that her neck had been broken. He placed his hand on her neck and healed it. She woke up and stared with wonder at him.

"What happened?"

"I think that the van pulled in front of you, causing you to turn to avoid it but ended up flipping over," James said.

She held her hands to the sides of her face. "Oh my God! Are the children hurt?"

James smiled. "Don't worry about them, madam. We took care of them."

When James and Sylvia exited the bus, they were awarded with applause and whistles. They bowed and then flew away. They decided to fly over the Freemont area to survey what was around their house.

"What the hell's going on down there?" Sylvia said. "That looks like a cheetah down there near a pool."

"I hear screams," James said. "Let's go check it out."

They flew down and landed near a in the ground pool behind a sprawling ranch. What they saw was unexpected. The cheetah was threatening five women near the pool, but that wasn't unexpected. It was the fact that women weren't wearing bathing suits.

Sylvia went over to the cheetah and made it follow her to the back part of the backyard. James stayed near the pool just in case. The women stood there just staring with wonder at their rescuers.

Sylvia waked back over to James. "I sent it back to the wild animal park where it belongs."

"Sorry to intrude on your privacy, ladies," James said, trying like hell not to smile.

Sylvia gave him a smirk before they flew away. The landed near their house and changed back into regular clothes.

"I wonder why they weren't wearing bathing suits," James said.

Sylvia gave him a mocking grin. "Maybe they're nudists."

James' expression went from shock to amusement. "Oh, I get it."

She laughed.

Robert was home when they went entered the house. "Looks like you had a productive day."

"We seem to be put to the test more often," James said. "Maybe God is trying to determine if we're worthy."

"I doubt that. You've proven your worth on several occasions."

"Sylvia wants to know if we could have children, but it doesn't look like we'll ever become full adults."

"We have no real idea where this experiment is going. We'll just have to put our trust in God and do our thing."

"You're probably right," James said with a sigh.

"Your mother's returning," Robert said. "I had better get busy and get supper on the table."

"We could go somewhere that no one would recognize us," James said.

"Where are we going?" Janet asked as she entered the house from the garage.

Robert smiled. "I know a place where we can get a really great pizza."

Janet smiled. "Let me guess. It's not anywhere around here."

"It's festival time in Catania!" he replied.

"Where's that?" James asked.

"Sicily!"

They appeared in a back alley near a major street, which was narrow because it was flanked with ancient buildings.

The festival had just begun so there weren't that many people crowding the streets. Robert stopped by a street vendor. "Tre Bolognese!" He handed the grey-haired man some euros. "Tieni il resto!"

The man smiled. "Grazie!"

"This doesn't look like any pizza I've ever had," James said.

"It's Sicilian pizza," Robert said.

Janet and Sylvia laughed.

They sat on benches nearby to eat their pizzas. When they finished, they began to stroll through the city to enjoy some of the classical buildings, some of which go back to the Romans.

"Oh, oh!" Robert said.

"What?" Janet asked.

"I sense that Mt. Etna is about to erupt."

"Yeah," James said. "I can feel the vibrations.

"Okay," Robert said. "Let's concentrate on the volcano and make it settle down."

People began to run when the vibrations were more noticeable. Suddenly, they stopped.

Robert held his hand up and his family members slapped it.

"Evidently, we were meant to come here," James said.

"Yep. We're just doing our job," Robert said.

People looked at them as if they were crazy, but when they changed into their outfits and flew away the onlookers realized what had happened.