Chapter No.50. Training.

Robert called an old buddy from his Marine days. Hiki Jamis had been a MCMAP training officer, and he was one of the best at Martial Arts. The good news is that Robert knew that he would train the superheroes and keep it secret.

Hiki was surprised to see Robert. "It's been a long time since we were together, Bob. Why didn't you get in touch?"

"I was in a serious accident that put me into a coma for ten years."

"That's a long time to be comatose. Most people I've know that were in long comas never made it."

"Well, while I was in the coma, I met a guy who claimed to be from God. He told me that I would be given powers to stop an evil monster from causing Armageddon."

"Sounds like a good comic book scenario."

"Yes, and it actually ended up like that. My family and I are the superheroes that the media is infatuated with."

Hiki's eyes grew large momentarily. "You're kidding me!"

"I wish I were, but we've been given the task of saving mankind from annihilation."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because we need to be trained in hand-to-hand combat. At first, we were forbidden to hurt anyone, even an adversary, but now we are permitted to engage in combat. We can fire energy beams out of our eyes, but if we meet up with super demons, that won't be much of an advantage."

"If you are a superhero, why would you need my help?"

"Because you are the top of the curve when it comes to hand-to-hand combat."

"If God gave you this mission, why wouldn't that be your guarantee of success?"

"God doesn't necessarily adhere to our laws and morals, and since He only works through humans, we're being handled by five women who claim to be Vestal Virgins, but I believe are angles. They tell us what we can do and not do, and they recently told us that we will need to engage in mortal combat."

"Well," Hiki said. "I think the first thing to do is give you and your group some demos of what it's all about."

"Sounds like a plan to me," Robert said. "I'll summon them."

Hiki's eyes grew large again when Janet, James, and Sylvia popped into existence. Robert pointed to each of them when he introduced them.

Hiki called for his son, Koka, to help him demonstrate the various hand-to-hand moves that were needed for proper combat. What surprised him was how quickly the superheroes learned. He didn't realize that they were able to memorize what they see instantly.

However, the superheroes didn't need those skills immediately. NASA summoned them for another mission, one that was rather unusual.

The superheroes popped into existence in the JPL Mission room and were met by Jason and an older woman by the name of Jody Williams. She was a geophysicist, and her interest was mostly with Earth's magnetic field.

"I'm not sure if you could even do anything about this," she said. "But we believe that Earth's magnetic field is going through a change which will result in a reversal of the poles."

"Isn't that what has happened in the past?" Robert asked.

"Yes, ferrite containing rocks indicate that it happens every so many hundreds of thousands of years, the last being approximately seven hundred and eighty thousand years. Currently, we have detected a disturbing drop in the South Atlantic Anomaly's field strength."