102

TIME JUMP: 1 WEEK

VERONICA MALFOY

The news of me and Mattheo spread like wildfire. Eventually, we decided to stop fighting the rumors and just go with it. So we walked into the Great Hall this morning, hand in hand.

The future King and Queen of Voldemort's Army. That's what we were supposed to be. Mattheo was even mailed our crowns from his father. We were to wear them at school. A constant reminder, a constant threat to the other students of who we were and what we were. The king and queen, of death.

 The king and queen, of death

 Unless he finds out we are spies

Unless he finds out we are spies. Lucky for us, Mattheo is ruthless and I'm strategic. So when we realized Cormac's epic plan for revenge was to expose me, his memory was altered accordingly. And just like that, everything was fine. Until the DA found out. This should be fun.

I got a note during Potions from Neville asking to meet in the safe room after dinner. It also said to bring Mattheo. I looked at him with an eyebrow raised and he nodded. I sighed and nodded back. Once classes ended, I sat down at dinner and waited for Mattheo, trying to figure out how to convince him to do this. He's going to say it's a bad idea and frankly, it probably is.

"Hello love" he said, pressing a kiss to my cheek. "We need to talk. Outside." I said. He looked at me nervously but nodded. We went into an empty classroom and I silenced the room. "The DA wants to meet..." I started. He gave me a strange look. "With both of us." I added. He shook his head rapidly. "No," he said. "Mattheo, they need to know you're on our side." I said. "No, they don't. The more people that know, the more danger we are in. It's not worth the risk." he said. I sighed. "Fine, what about just meeting with Ginny and Neville. Leaders to Leaders?" I asked. He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Fine. But just those two. I can barely stand 1 Gryffidor, let alone 2." he said. I laughed. "You'll survive." I said. He shrugged. "Maybe" he said. "Stay here. I'll bring them." I said. He nodded and I left. I went straight to the Gryffindor table where Neville and Ginny were sitting and cleared my throat. "It's time for you to serve your detention." I said. "What?" Neville said. "Now!" I snapped. They looked at eachother and stood up hesitantly. "Follow my lead" I whispered. Then they nodded. I took them to the empty classroom and shut the door. "I thought we were meeting after dinner, in our safe house." Ginny said. "I know a trap when-" Mattheo started. "Mattheo has some trust issues he's working on." I said. He scoffed. "We can't have everyone in DA knowing about Mattheo. It's far too risky." I said. "But they all know about you?" Neville said. "I'm not as high a rank in the Voldemort Army. Mattheo is his son and his right hand man. It's too dangerous for the entirety of DA to be running around with the knowledge that Mattheo is a spy." I said. "I suppose that makes sense," Neville said. I nodded.

"So what's your motive?" Ginny asked. "I'm sorry?" Mattheo responded. "We know why Veronica is helping us. I can't figure out why you are doing this for us." she said. "Oh, trust me. It's not for you. I'm doing this to protect Veronica. She's my motive." he said. A smile tugged at the corner of my lips. "Of course, it's all for the girl. Why doesn't that surprise me?" Ginny said. "My Veronica has that effect on people. Even your precious chosen one" Mattheo said. I smacked his chest and he rolled his eyes. "Enough, Mattheo." I said. "He didn't love her, he was playing her." Neville said. "Actually she was playing him. She just-" Mattheo started. "That's enough!"

They all stopped and looked at me. "I was under Voldemort's orders to whore myself out to Harry and if I didn't he was going to kill my family. Not a day goes by that I don't regret what I did. So can we please stop talking about it!" I exclaimed. They all gave me a silent nod. "Good." I said. "Well, this has been all sorts of diplomatic fun. If you'll excuse us, Veronica and I have some studying to do." he said. "On what? I thought we-" I started. "Human Anatomy." he said smugly. I laughed and we left.