41

VERONICA MALFOY

"Are you almost ready?" Mattheo called out. I just finished tying my tie and I walked out. "Patience and yes. Lets go." I said. We walked out of Slytherin and headed for the Great Hall. As we walked through the halls, I noticed people were staring at us. This isn't unusual. For one, I'm a Malfoy. 2, I'm dating Mattheo Riddle. But today, it seemed different. Mattheo and I arrived at the great hall and people turned their heads looking at us. "Why is everyone staring?" I asked. Then Allison and Draco ran over. "Ronnie, we have to go." Draco said. He tried to pull me away but I wouldn't move. "What? Why? What are you doing?" I said yanking my arm away. "Veronica, come on. Let's go." Allison said. "No. Why is everyone staring?" I asked. Then Blaise walked up to us. "Mate, she is going to find out eventually." he said. "Find out what?" I asked. "Don't Blaise." Draco said. Blaise handed me The Daily Prophet and I read the headline.

THE LATEST MALFOY SCANDAL, VERONICA MALFOY AND MARCUS FLINT: WHAT HAPPENED?

VERONICA MALFOY AND MARCUS FLINT: WHAT HAPPENED?

My heart stopped. I could hear voices all around me. Draco, Blaise, Allison, Mattheo. Everyone is talking. "Did you guys see it?" Enzo asked as he and Theo ran over. Allison gave them a look and they went quiet. "How did Skeeter even get this? I thought-" Allison started. "Potter." I said. "What?" Mattheo asked. "Potter. He found out what happened. It had to be him." I said. "I'm going to kill him." Draco said. "No... I am." I said. I stormed over to the Gryffindor table and drew my wand. "How dare you?" I yelled. Potter, Granger and Weasley all stood up to face me. "We had a deal and you broke it." Granger said. "Should've known a snake can't be trusted." Weasley said. Draco looked at me with confusion. "What deal?" he asked. "You sister made a deal with us." Granger said. "If we don't tell anyone what really happened with Marcus, she won't tell anyone about Dumbledore's Army." Potter said. "You knew?" Blaise said looking at me. "I didn't break your deal." I spat. "Oh really, so they just-" Granger started. "She's telling the truth." Allsion said. We all looked at her. "She is. We didn't find anything out from her. Cho Chang told us." Allison said. "Malfoy, we didn't-" Potter started. "Save it. I told you, it wasn't me. And even if it was...that wasn't your story to tell" I said. Then I left as fast as I could.

DRACO MALFOY

The Golden Trio looked at us with pity. "She never broke your deal. You are really just a bunch of self- righteous assholes." Enzo said. "We thought it was her." Granger said. "It wasn't but that doesn't matter now. You have no idea what you just did." Allison said. "Allison, don't," I said. "No. They think this was like a little prank. They don't realize-" Allison said. "Enough!" I yelled. "Mate, just calm down." Blaise said. "Listen Malfoy, we're sorry. But it's not like she didn't deserve it. Marcus always-" Weasley started. Then I lost it. I punched him square in the jaw and he fell to the side. In a split second, everyone had their wands drawn and pointed at each other. "You think we're the monsters? We may be the snakes but lions kill too." Theo said. "What is going on here?" Snape said as he walked in. "Professor Snape, we were just-" Blaise started. "I don't want to hear it. All of you, lower your wands." he said. We did so and Snape looked at me. "What is going on?" he asked. I looked to the Golden Trio once more with fury in my eyes. "Ask them." I said as I handed him the Daily Prophet and walked out. Then I headed straight for the music room.

I opened the door and Veronica sat at the piano. She was playing a song I taught her a few years ago. I could see the dried tears on her face and the mascara under her eyes. The second she saw me she stopped playing and wiped her face. "Go away Draco." she said. "No." I said and I sat down next to her. "I'm fine." she said. That's a lie. "Snape's handling them" I said. She scoffed. "It's too late. Everyone saw it. Father's going to see it too. How long do you think before we get a letter saying we have to come home?" she asked. "Ronnie just-" I started. "Who do you think will get it this time? Me or you? Will he tie you up and make you watch him beat me or will it be the other way around? What do you think of Draco?" she asked. "Ronnie stop." I said. "No come on. We both know what's coming." she said. I grabbed her wrists and pulled her into my arms. "I'm sorry." I whispered. I felt her exhale a shaky breath into my chest. "I thought it was over." she said softly. I wiped a stray tear from her cheek. "I know. Me too." I said.