58

DRACO MALFOY

That argument was fake. It was all a set up. Of course I would be angry about my sister dating Potter. We made it look real. But it wasn't. It was fake. Until it wasn't.

I could feel it. The more we yelled at each other, the more it escalated, the more we said, it was too real. I couldn't help it. I lost my temper and I went too far. I called her out on her daddy issues and she did the same. She was even going to mention... her. I yelled about Marcus and the dark mark, I said "I never asked you to do that." She said, "I did it anyway." The strain in her voice & the pain in her eyes. She's a good actor but not that good. Those tears were real. As real as mine. As I stormed off, I blinked them away. I refuse to cry and over a staged argument

But I kept thinking...If this was all fake, why is the hurt so real?

VERONICA MALFOY

Once I stopped crying in Harry's arms and once Mattheo had stormed off, I left. I headed straight toDraco because I wanted answers. I wanted to know how much of that was real and how much of it was fake. I know it was all staged but it sure as hell didn't feel like that.

I looked into the music room and sure enough he was sitting in front of the piano, playing a song. Tears dried on his cheeks and his eyes were closed. Normally, I'd wait until the song was over...

Not today.

I opened the door and slammed it behind me. He jumped slightly and looked at me.

"What in the actual fuck was that?!" I yelled. "You set that up. You wanted an argument to make your relationship with Potter look-" he started. "Don't- That's not what I mean and you know it." I snapped. He sighed. "Tell me you didn't mean that. Tell me you didn't' use that as an excuse to bash me and tell me everything you hate about me. Tell me you were lying to make it look real." I said. He just stared at me. "Answer me!" I yelled. He stood up and his seat tumbled back. "What do you want me to say Ronnie? Maybe I went too far. Maybe I let myself go. Maybe I finally said what I think. I'm sorry but it was the truth." he said. I scoffed. "You are unbelievable. So what you said about my daddy issues, do you really think that?" I asked. "It's true and we both know it." he said. "Fine, daddy issues. Let's unpack that shall we? Sure, maybe I let Marcus treat me like shit because I wanted someone to love me. Maybe I'd rather have a life like that than be alone. But don't you dare judge me. You have no right." I said. "Ronnie, I-" he started.

"What about you, Draco? Should we talk about your daddy issues?" I asked. "Ronnie-" said. "No, we're airing out all our problems, let's talk about you. Tell me the truth about how you feel-" I started. "Shut up," he said. "You love her." I said. "Shut up!" he yelled. "Admit it! You are in love with Allison!" I yelled. "Shut up!" he screamed. "No. You are in love with Allison and too afraid to do anything about it." I said. He drew his wand and pointed it at me. I just gave him a smug grin. "Are you going to hurt me Draco?" I said. I could see the anger on his face and the tears in his eyes. "Do it. Hurt me." I said. He kept his wand trained on me. "You won't do shit. Because I know the only thing you fear more than love, is becoming our father. So lower your wand before you do something you regret." I said. I placed my hand on his and gently lowered his wand.

I put the seat back in front of the piano and sat down. He sat next to me and exhaled a shaky breath. "I'm sorry, ok?" he said. I nodded. "I shouldn't have said that stuff," he added. I just nodded again. "You shouldn't have brought up Allison," he said. "I just want you to be happy and Allison could make you happy." I said. He shook his head. "No. Allison deserves better than a death eater and a murderer." he said. "You aren't a murderer." I said. "Not yet," he said. I took his hand and looked at him.

"She cares about you Draco. And she's my best friend so I know when she likes someone. Can't you see it in the way she looks at you?" I asked. He shrugged. "It doesn't matter. You're right, I don't want to get hurt and I know I'll break her heart." he said. "Draco, you can't put everyone else's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love." I said. We sat there in silence for a while before I spoke again. "Do you really think Mattheo is only with me to like- I don't know- keep an eye on us for his father or something?" I asked. He smiled and laughed to himself. "No, I don't think that," he said. I nodded. "You want to know what he told me?" he said. I looked at him nervously. "What?" I asked. He took a deep breath and spoke...