87

VERONICA MALFOY

We sunk to the floor as I buried my face in his chest. He pulled me against him, stroking my hair softly. My tears soaked his blue button up as he rested his chin on the top of my head.

I inhaled and suddenly as I smelled his cologne and not Mattheo's, it all came crashing down. I struggled in his arms as I choked back sobs. "No!" I cried out. I tried to break free as he held me. "No, no, no, where is he?!" I sobbed. He sighed and pulled me back against him, ignoring my protests. "It's ok," he whispered. I hit his arms and tried to pull away. He grabbed my face. "Veronica, you need to breathe..." he said. I stared at him and just closed my eyes. I closed my eyes and I kissed him. He instantly pulled away. His eyes are full of sorrow and regret.

"I'm not him, Veronica." he stated. I exhaled a shaky breath as more tears fell. "Why? Why did he do it? Why'd he leave me?" I asked. I was so exhausted. I just wanted answers. Theo looked torn. "Fucking hell, I hate him for this." he said under his breath. He took a deep breath and faced me.

"He's gone. He's gone and I don't know if he's coming back." he said. Tears streamed down my face. "He promised. He promised he wouldn't leave me." I whispered. "I know," he said. I stared at him and he wiped the tears from my face. "He's fucked Veronica, you had to know that. From the beginning, right? You had to know he was fucked." he said. I looked at him and nodded. "I know." I whispered. I wiped my cheeks and sat next to Theo, with our backs to the wall. "It's my fault for believing anyone could love me. Anyone real." I said. He just interlaced our hands and I laid my head on his shoulder. "I love you V." he said. I looked at him quickly. "No, not like that. I mean, I love you. We all do. I know it's not him. I know we aren't Mattheo. But just remember the time before him. Remember parties and pranks. Remember everyone getting high in your dorm and you yelling at us even though we knew you'd never want us to go anywhere else. Remember you and Allison teaming up against Lavender Brown and the Patil twins in 5th year to plan an epic takedown. Remember the dance parties and the drunken games. Remember sneaking down to the kitchens late at night and eating the leftover desserts. Remember the good. Before it all came crashing down. Just remember us. Your family. Your real family. All of us." he said calmly. I smiled at him as the memories filled my head. He guided me through each one, telling stories and jokes. I laughed and soon the tears dried. Eventually, it was quiet again.

"V..." he said. I looked at him. "There was life before him-" he started. I nodded. "There'll be life after him too." he said. I just nodded again. "Don't leave us. Don't abandon us like he did. Be better than him. Be something more. Be whatever you want. Just be something." he said. I smiled. "Thank you Theo," I said softly. He nodded and kissed my forehead. "Let's get you to bed love, you've had quite the day." he said. He tucked me in and I was asleep the second he left. Finally, feeling some peace after fighting the war with my love for Mattheo. Finally at peace.

DRACO MALFOY

"I don't have time to fall apart when I'm too busy putting you back together," I said. Then I walked out and shut the door. I could hear her cries as I leaned against the wall and rubbed my eyes. "You alright mate?" Blaise asked. "Fucking fantastic" I mumbled. He nodded. "How much did you guys hear?" I asked. "All of it." Blaise said. My head snapped up. "Why didn't you stop us sooner?" I asked strangely. "We've learned to stay out of you two's fights. Unless it gets physical, we don't intervene." Enzo said. "Makes sense," I said. I looked around and realized it. "Where's Allison?" I asked. They both exchanged nervous looks. "What?" I said. "She left." Enzo said. "What do you mean?" I asked. "She heard everything too." Enzo said quietly. "Shit" I said. They nodded. "She said she needed space. I think she's downstairs." Blaise said. I nodded. "Is it true?" he asked. I looked at him. "Do you and Allison have a thing going on?" Blaise asked. "Like Ronnie said, I fucked it up." I sighed. "Go talk to her." Enzo said. "Not now." I said. "Why?" Enzo asked. "Because I said so." I snapped. He just sighed. "Fine. You know what, why don't you scream at us too. If that will make you feel better, have at it." Enzo said. "Leave it alone Enzo" I stated. "Mate, V was right. You need to mourn your mother. You can't shut down." Blaise said. "We don't mourn the dead until after the war is won." I stated. Enzo sighed.. "I give up." he said as he walked away. Blaise put a gentle hand on my shoulder and looked at me.

"It's ok to fall apart a little bit." he said.
Then he walked away too.