46

VERONICA MALFOY

"Mattheo was right about you." he said. I looked at Mattheo. He still refused to look at me. "Get their mother." The Dark Lord said to one of the death eaters. He quickly stood up and went down to the cellar. "Now sit down." he said sharply. Draco and I sat next to each other and he held my shaking hand under the table. The death brought my mum back up and she was trembling. "Are you ready to join us Narcissa?" he asked. She looked to both of us and just nodded. "Good. Now sit." he said. She obeyed and sat down. "Let's get down to business," he said.

"As you both know, Mattheo was given a task when I sent him to Hogwarts. He was to decide which one of you is going to receive the mark this summer." he said looking at us. We both nodded. "Mattheo, have you come to a decision?" The Dark Lord asked, looking at Mattheo. There was a moment of silence. Mattheo finally looked at me and I didn't recognize his eyes.
"Yes father. I have." he said. Everyone was staring at him. "And who do you pick?" he asked.

"Draco Malfoy. He will receive the mark." Mattheo said.

And just like that... my world stopped. My heart rate was going a mile a minute and I was frozen. But only for a second. Then I stood up and looked at Mattheo. "What?" I yelled. "Ronnie, it's ok. Sit down." Draco said. He wrapped his arms around me and tried to pull me down. "No, you said it would be me!" I yelled. Mattheo stood up and looked at me. "I'm sorry Veronica." he said. I was struggling in Draco's grip when I realized how calm he was. I looked at him and immediately figured it out. "You knew." I said staring at Draco. "Ronnie I-" I pushed him away and he stumbled back. "You knew he was going to pick you the whole time didn't you?" I yelled. Mattheo walked over and tried to speak. "You two knew the whole time. You lied to me. You promised it would be me." I said. "Your right. I was never going to pick you. You weren't the only one I made promises to." he said. I pushed him back and slapped him across the face. "How could you! I trusted you. You said it would be me. You were supposed to help me protect him." I said. Mattheo grabbed my wrists to stop me from hitting his chest. "I'm sorry Veronica, I really am. I can't risk it." he said. "I hate you! I hate you so much. You can't do this!" I screamed. Draco walked over to The Dark Lord and knelt in front of him. Mattheo wrapped his arms around me and pulled me back. He held one arm around my waist and one hand over my mouth. I screamed and fought but he wouldn't let go. "I'll take the mark, My Lord," he said calmly. The Dark Lord looked at me curiously but turned back to Draco. He took his arm and lifted his sleeve. I screamed louder but it was muffled. The Dark Lord spoke the spell and the dark mark appeared on his arm. Draco groaned in pain as the ink swirled and he gripped his arm. "Congratulations Young Malfoy, I hope you don't disappoint me like your father did." he said. I couldn't stop staring at the dark mark on his pale skin. "We have more to discuss Mattheo, take the girl upstairs. She seems to need a moment to collect herself." he said. I fought against Mattheo all the way up the stairs. Draco followed us and we went into his room. He shut the door behind him and locked it. After he silenced it, Mattheo finally let me go. I slapped him across the face again and pounded my fists against his chest. "How could you? How could you do that? I hate you so much!" I cried. He just stood there looking straight ahead, taking all of it. "You liar. I hate you. I hate you so much. You promised. You promised me and you lied. I hate you so much I will never ever love you again." I screamed. Those words snapped his head to face mine. He had tears in his eyes and he just stared at me. "I'm sorry but I won't let you get hurt." he said. I dropped to my knees and buried my face in my palms. "You should go mate. I'll take care of her." Draco said quietly. I heard the door open and shut. Draco kneeled in front of me and pulled me into his arms. "No, no. You did this too." I said crying. I tried to fight off his hug but he just held me. "Why couldn't you just let me help you?" I cried. My tears soaked his shirt and he rubbed my back. "I'm sorry Ronnie. I really am." he whispered. I pulled away and looked at him. "I'm sorry too." I said. He wiped my tears away and I caved. I can't be mad at him. Not now. He needs me. "Can I see?" I asked. He nodded and I took his arm and lifted his sleeve. The black ink swirled on his arm and I gently grazed my finger over it but he pulled away. "Sorry." I said softly. "It's fine. I'll be fine." he said. I shook my head. "It should've been me"

After about an hour of silence, there was a knock on the door. Draco opened it to reveal my mother. He hugged her and so did I. "I know. It's ok dear. I'm alright." she said. Her voice was still shaky. "Mum what happened?" I asked. She shook her head and gave a sad smile. "Not now. Right now, the Dark Lord wants to see you Draco." she said. Draco nodded and let go of my hand. "No. Not without me." I said. My mother started to speak but Draco did instead. "It's ok Ronnie. I'll be right back." he said. "No. You are my twin brother. We have done everything together since we were born. You don't have to do this alone." I said. I pushed past them and headed for the dining room. "Ronnie no!" Draco said, trying to catch up with me. But I was determined. My brother, my responsibility.