76

MATTHEO'S POV

After I scrubbed the blood off my hands, I walked into Veronica's room. She was sitting on her bed with her knees under her chin. She was making herself small again. Like she used to do with Marcus. I sat down next to her and gently took her hand. She looked up at me. "Love, why don't you get some rest?" I suggested. She shook her head. "I have to stay awake, for Draco. What if- he needs me- or if I have to help-" she stammered. "Veronica, Draco is just in the other room being well taken care of by your mother." I said. "I'm not tired." she said. "Veronica, you are safe. I'm here now and I won't let anything happen. You need to sleep. You can't stay awake forever." I said. Her eyes watered and she looked away. "Come here darling, it's alright," I whispered. I pulled her into my arms and she rested her head on my shoulder. "Promise you won't leave?" she asked. "I promise." I said. She let her eyes close and dozed off.

Veronica finally fell asleep and I just sat there, watching over her. An hour or two later, the door opened and I immediately drew my wand. "It's just me" When I saw Narcissa, I put it down. "Sorry, habit." I said quietly. She nodded. "I understand." she said. She walked in and put her healer's kit away. "How's Draco?" I asked. "He's alright, resting now." she said. I nodded. "I finally convinced Veronica to go to sleep too." I said. She smiled. "I hope you know I appreciate everything you do for my children. The way you so fiercely protect Veronica and Draco, is everything to me." she said. I nodded. "You raised two very special people." I said. She smiled. "Thank you for your kind words." she said. Then she started to leave but she stopped at the door. "Please be careful though. You are a very powerful wizard for your age. The kind of power that threatens people. The Dark Lord is a very cruel man. If he feels that you are a threat, he won't hesitate to eliminate you. Do you understand?" she asked. "Yes. I understand." I said. Then I paused. "Why are you telling me this? You serve my father," I asked. "I do, but my children will always come first. My daughter loves you. That trumps any loyalty I have towards your father." she said. "I understand. Thank you Mrs. Malfoy." I said.
"Just make me a promise," she started. "Anything" I replied. "Promise me..."

2 WEEKS LATER

VERONICA MALFOY

It's been two weeks. 2 weeks since Dumbledore was murdered by Severus. 2 weeks since we left school. 2 weeks since I watched Mattheo murder 5 men in cold blood. 2 weeks since Draco was beaten within an inch of his life. 2 weeks in our own personal hell. 2 weeks.

I was laying in bed, tangled up in the sheets with Mattheo and watching the sunrise and breathing as he slept. His chest rose and fell and his lips were slightly parted. His eyes fluttered open and he saw me. He smiled and I sat up. "Hey" I said. "Hello love, how are you?" he asked. "I'm fine, how'd you sleep?" I asked. "Good, you?" he replied. "Good." I said. I started to fidget and he took my hands. "What's wrong?" he asked. "It's been quiet. Too quiet. No meetings, no tasks, no burning on our arms. Nothing is happening." I said. "Yeah." he said. "Do you- do you know something you aren't telling me?" I asked. He looked down. He does. "You do, don't you?" I asked. He sighed. "Veronica please," he started. "Tell me" I stated. "You know I can't do that," he said. "Tell me right now." I said. "I can't. I really can't. I know you'll be angry but I can't tell you." he said. I scoffed and got up. I pulled his shirt on and got up.  He followed and grabbed my wrist. "Veronica please, don't go," he said. "Why? You can't talk to me. Remember?" I snapped. "All I can say is I tried to stop it and I'm going to try again today." he said. My face fell. "Today?" I asked. He nodded. I went into the bathroom and started to get ready. "What's happening today?" I asked. "Even if I did tell you, there's nothing we can do yet," he said. "Then tell me." I said. He groaned. "Why are you so damn stubborn?" he asked. "I'm a Malfoy." I said. I pulled on a black dress and turned around. "Zip me up," I said. He zipped me up and began to kiss my neck but I pulled away. "Not until you tell me what's going on." I said. He rolled his eyes as he pulled on his blazer. I straightened his tie and fixed his hair. "Fine, today my father is-" he started.

Knock, Knock, Knock. "This isn't over" I said as I walked to my bedroom door. I opened it and standing there was Draco, Allison, Blaise, Theo, and Enzo. "Surprise" Draco said.