36

VERONICA MALFOY

"You need to rest Ronnie." Draco said. I was laying on the couch and my mum just finished healing my injuries as best she could. She wrapped my ribs, gave me blood replenishing potions, everything she could do. "How's Blaise?" I asked. "He's fine. Really. Mum healed him and the wound is basically gone. He took a sleeping draught and is resting. You should be too." Draco said. I nodded. "But what about Mattheo? Is he back yet?" I asked. "No. Ronnie please get some sleep. I promise I will wake you up the second he gets back." Draco said. I sighed. I was exhausted and every part of me hurt. "Ok." I said. He poured the vial of sleeping draught down my throat and I immediately got drowsy. "It's ok now Ronnie. I'll stay by your side." Draco whispered. I looked at him until I dozed off.

I woke up to the sound of shouting. It was voices. Draco immediately sat up and looked at me. Then Allison appeared in the doorway. "Get out here now." she said. We quickly followed her out. My jaw dropped at the sight in front of me. Mattheo held Marcus and Adrian with their hands tied behind their backs. "I found them." he said plainly, throwing them to the floor. "Bloody hell mate, what did you do?" Theo asked. "Just be glad I didn't kill them." he said. "Good point." Enzo mumbled. "You fucking bitch, you can't escape us. We will always find you and we will-" Marcus started looking at me. Draco pointed his wand at him and spoke. "Silencio." he said. He went quiet and I looked at Mattheo. "How?" I asked. "They didn't have many places to go. Now I'm going to set up the wards. Can someone take this scum to the cellar?" he asked. Theo and Enzo picked them up and dragged them away. I hugged Mattheo. "I thought you were going to-'' I started. "I know. I wouldn't risk it. I'm here ok? I won't leave you." he whispered. I nodded. "Do they have to go in our cellar?" Draco asked. "Where else are we supposed to put them? If we turn them into the Ministry, their families will just buy their freedom and keep it all quiet." Mattheo said. "Frankly, I'm fine with it. I just want to know if Veronica is ok with it." he said. They both looked at me. "We'll put up wards and they won't hurt you. If not, we can-'' Mattheo started. "It's alright." I said. They nodded. "Come on Ronnie, let's get you back to bed." Draco said. I just nodded. We went back to my room and I laid back down. Mattheo walked in and whispered something in Draco's ear. He nodded and left. "Mattheo-" I said. He walked over and got in my bed. I laid on his chest and he held me. "I'm so sorry Veronica." he said quietly. "It's ok. I'm fine." I said. "No, you aren't. And you don't have to be." he said. "I don't want to talk about it." I said. He nodded. "We don't have to. Not now, not ever. But if you do end up wanting to, you have me, you have Draco, you have our friends. We are all here." he said. I nodded and fell asleep in his arms.

TIME JUMP

"Did you finish packing?" Draco asked. I nodded. All our friends left a week ago and we were going back to school tomorrow. I was not excited. School was going to suck. Ever since everything happened, I've broken apart. I've found that drinking is the best way to ease the pain. It's like memories of everything that happened are constantly in my head. The drinking blurs them. But at school, I can't drink as much. The only good thing about going to school is I won't be in the same place as Marcus and Adrian. Yes, they are still in our cellar. Mattheo has been "negotiating" with their families. "Ronnie-" Draco said. I looked up. "What?" I asked. "Did you hear anything I just said?" he asked. I shrugged and took another drink from the flask I keep in my pocket. "Fuck Ronnie, are you drunk again?" he asked. "I'm fine." I lied. He reached for the flask and I pointed my wand in his face. "Don't." I said sharply. "You can't drink it all away Ronnie. It won't work." he said. I scoffed. "It's working well so far." I mumbled. "Is that really what you want? To become father? Just drink all day and all night?" he asked. I shrugged again. "Doesn't matter." I said. "I know you're hurting Ronnie. I can't imagine but this isn't right. This isn't you." he said. I laid down and drank more. "Just leave me be." I said. He sighed. "Please don't do this. Please don't go down this road." he said. "I'm fine Draco. I'll be fine." I said.

After dinner that night, I had sobered up a bit. I had been thinking about something all day. I couldn't do it alone. I walked to Draco's room and knocked on the door. He opened it and I took a breath. "I need to see them." I said. He realized immediately what I meant and froze. "No. Absolutely not." he said. "Please Draco. I need to know that they can't hurt me anymore. I need to see it for myself." I said. He shook his head. "Mattheo told me not to let you down there." he said. "It's not up to him." I said. "Ronnie come on-" he started. 'Draco, I'm going with or without you. Make your choice." I said. I walked out and he jogged to catch up to me. "This is a bad idea." he said. "I know. I need this Draco. I don't know why but I do." I said. He just nodded.