77

VERONICA MALFOY

"Surprise" Draco said.

My eyes widened and I smiled. Allison hugged me and then Blaise, Theo and Enzo hugged me too. "How could you three do that?! Just disappear without telling us!" Allison exclaimed. "Yeah! Dumbledore was killed and then you guys were gone!" Theo said. "We didn't even know if you were ok!" Enzo added. "Not cool," Blaise said. They all came into my room and sat down throughout the bed and chairs. "We had to go. We couldn't exactly stay and chat. Potter saw us there." Draco said. "He's right. Once Draco let the death eaters in, it was chaos. We couldn't be there." I said. Allison hugged me again. "Don't ever do that again." she whispered. "I'm sorry." I said. She smiled. I looked at Mattheo and he was staring at the floor.

"Um, if you guys don't mind, Mattheo was just about to tell me something and-" I started. "They can stay." he said. I looked up in surprise. "Are you sure?" I asked. He sighed. "It's about them." he said with a sigh. "What do you mean about us? What is it?" Blaise asked. Mattheo looked at us nervously.

"Do you guys know why you came here today?" he asked. "Mattheo, what are you talking about?" Draco asked. "No, my mum said the Malfoys just invited us over." Blaise said. "My parents said they understand I've been worried about the twins and wanted to take me to see them." Allison said. "My father didn't tell me anything. I don't question him." Theo said. "I didn't  care, I was just happy to be able to see you guys." Enzo said. "Why? What's going on?" I asked. "None of your parents told you the real reason you are here today." Mattheo said. We all exchanged confused looks. "Mattheo, what are you saying? Spit it out" Draco said. I looked at him and I could tell her was upset. I walked over and took his hand.

"You are all getting your dark marks today." he said. The room went so silent you could hear a pin drop. "Nice one mate, now tell us the truth." Enzo said. He tried to laugh but it wasn't his laugh. It wasn't real. Mattheo stared at him with sorrow in his eyes. "I'm sorry. I tried to convince my father otherwise but he refused. He wants to start training the next generation of death eaters." Mattheo said. Allison's eyes watered and Blaise buried his face in his palms. "Fucking hell" Enzo mumbled. "Shit" Blaise said.
"You fucking prick" Theo spat.

"Theo!" I exclaimed. "Why us? Huh?" Theo yelled. He stood toe to toe with Mattheo and glared at him. "Theo mate, back off," Draco said. "No, why us? There are 28 Pureblood families that prepare their children to be death eaters. It's no coincidence that the 6 kids you make friends with are the ones that get the dark mark first!" Theo yelled at Mattheo. "Theo, this is not his fault! He tried to stop it. He tried to protect you." I said. "Oh Bullshit. Of course you defend him. The girl on her knees for the Dark Lord and his son!" Theo yelled at me. I stumbled back and my eyes watered. Theo's face softened as he realized what he said. "Shit, V, I didn't-" he started but Mattheo's fist hit his face before he could finish. "Don't fucking speak about her like that!" he yelled. Theo flipped him over and punched Mattheo. "Theo stop!" Draco yelled. "Let him do it! Theo's right!" Enzo said. "No, he's not. Mattheo tried to protect us just like he tried to protect the twins." Blaise said. "Exactly!" I yelled. It was complete chaos. Theo and Mattheo were fighting on the floor and Draco was trying to separate them. Blaise, Enzo, and I were arguing. There was yelling, insults flying and-

"Enough!" Allison screamed. She waved her wand and there was a flash.

Everyone was separated and standing there, staring at her. "Ali, I'm sorry- I tried to-" Mattheo started. "No. Enough. All of you." she said. There were tears on her cheeks. I rarely see Allison cry or have an outburst of emotion. She even more rarely takes charge like this. "We all knew this was coming. Yes, it's sooner than we thought. Yes, we're younger than we thought. But that doesn't matter now. The only way we'll survive this is together. There's no use in fighting like children over whose bloody fault it is. It's the Dark Lord's fault. Not Mattheo, not Draco, Not Veronica, not Theo, not Blaise, not Enzo. None of us. Voldemort. That's it. Understood?" she asked. We all nodded. "Now Theo, apologize to Veronica for what you said." she told him. He looked at me and sighed. "I'm sorry V, really. I just lost my temper." he said. I nodded. "Now Mattheo apologize for punching him." she said. "No, I was defending Veronica and-" he started. "Apologize!" she yelled. He raised his hands in surrender and nodded. "I'm sorry," he said. Theo nodded. "Good. Is everyone cool?" she asked. "Yes." we said. "Good, because we need each other if we are going to figure out a plan." she said. I smiled at her. "Tell us what you got" I said. She smiled and we began.