67

VERONICA MALFOY

I didn't sleep all night. Once I got back from Harry's dorm, I just laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling. I was a nervous wreck because I couldn't find Mattheo, Draco was running out of time and Allison was a wreck. How did everything get so screwed up so screwed up so fast?

"Ronnie-" Draco said, pulling me from my thoughts. I was sitting at the Slytherin table with my friends for breakfast and I looked up. "Sorry, what?" I asked. "He's back." Allison whispered. I looked at the entrance to the Great Hall and saw Mattheo standing there. I smiled and he nodded at me. Then he turned around and walked out. "I'll see you guys later." I said.

I followed a few feet behind him until we got to Slytherin. I got to his dorm and the door was open. I walked in and shut it behind me. He was sitting on his trunk at the edge of the bed. "Mattheo?" I said. He looked up and shook his head. "What's wrong?" I asked. He tapped his mouth and I understood.

"Finite" I said as I pointed my wand at him. The spell broke and he could speak. "What happened?" I asked. "My Father," he said. "Did he hurt you?" I asked. He didn't answer. "I just wanted him to leave you alone. I shouldn't have said it." he said. "Mattheo, what did you do?" I asked. "I told him I know about the horcruxes. I said if he hurts you again, I'll destroy them and kill him." he said. I froze. "Those are real?!" I exclaimed. There are rumors amongst death eaters. People talk about horcruxes and how that's how he's still alive. But nobody knows for sure. Well, I guess now I do. "Mattheo, what did he do?" I asked. "It doesn't matter," he said. "Tell me." I said. "He hid them again. Now my leverage is gone. I was-" he started. I walked over and sat next to him. "You were what?" I asked...

"If something bad, really bad, ever happened, and I thought he would kill you or Draco, I was going to use that as leverage to get you both out." he said. My face paled. "But I fucked it up. I was so pissed about what he did to you, I lost control and now I have nothing. No way to protect you if I need it." he said. "Mattheo, I wouldn't leave even if I could. I could never leave you." I said. "Veronica, he could kill-" he started. "I know. But we both know if you helped me escape, he would kill you. I won't let that happen." I said. He just nodded. I laid my head on his shoulder and he winced.

"Mattheo, you are hurt." I said. "It's fine," he said. "No, it's not. Stand up." I said. He sighed and stood. I waved my wand and his glamour spell was removed. My heart sank at the sight. He had a black eye and bruises and cuts. My eyes watered and he stared at the floor. I reached out and unbuttoned his shirt and pulled it off slowly. There were bruises on his ribs and I could see a dislocated shoulder. "Fucking hell, did the death eaters do this?" I asked. He just nodded. "Cruciatus curse too." he said quietly. I nodded and began to heal him. "Lay down, we are skipping lessons today." I said. "No, we have to-" he started. "You need to rest and I'm not leaving you like this. Lay down before I body bind your ass." I said. He laughed slightly and laid down. I laid next to him and held his hand. "I love you." I whispered. "I love you too." he whispered back.

TIME JUMP: 2 WEEKS

I've been sitting and waiting for Harry outside Gryffindor for the past 10 minutes and he still isn't here. I was about to leave when Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan came walking over.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Seamus snapped. I forced a smile at them. "Nice to see you too boys, I'm waiting for Harry." I said. He rolled his eyes. "He's not here." Seamus said. "Do you know where he is?" I asked. "He is in-" Dean started. "Like we'd tell you. Harry may like you now and think you've changed but I don't buy it for one second. Once a snake, always a snake." Seamus spat. If only Harry was smart enough to think like that, he could prevent Dumbledore's epic demise. "And once a prick, always a prick, I suppose." I snapped back. Seamus just scoffed and went inside the portrait. Dean started to follow and turned around at the last second. "He's in the hospital wing. Ron got poisoned last night." he said. I smiled. "Thank you." I said. He nodded and went inside too. Poisoned. I really hope this isn't connected to Draco. But knowing our luck, I'll bet it is. I ran all the way to the hospital wing and stood outside.

I looked inside and saw a group of people surrounding Ron's cot. It was McGonagall, Dumbledore, Slughorn, Sev, Harry, Ginny and Hermione. I could hear them talking. Then I knew.

Draco made another attempt on Dumbledore's life. And even worse, he failed again.

We are so dead.