61

VERONICA MALFOY

"Happy Christmas" I said to my friends as we sat on the train. Draco and I were especially quiet. We knew what was waiting for us at the Manor. Although I was excited to be spending some time with Mattheo, I wasn't looking forward to his father. He would be expecting updates.

So far, Draco hasn't fixed the cabinet and he's had one failed attempt at killing Dumbledore. We both know that won't go unpunished. I suppose I should be glad the Malfoys aren't hosting their regular ball. This year, it's just a meeting of death eaters. This should be all sorts of fun.

The train came to a stop and Draco and I said our goodbyes. Then we apparated to the Manor.

"The gates are open," he said. I nodded. "Listen to me Ronnie, we both know what's going to happen. I want you to stay with Mattheo and don't try to stop it, understand me?" he asked. "I won't just sit back and watch you be tortured and not at least try to stop it." I said. "Veronica, I'm serious, you can't stop it so just please don't do anything stupid." he said. "You can't stop me." I said. Then I started walking to the door. He caught up with me and sighed. "You are so stubborn," he said. I smirked. "I know." I said. Then we went inside. I knew he was here because it was cold. We went to the dining room and there were 5 death eaters. Mattheo and The Dark Lord sat at the table. My mother sat there too, staring at us.

"Ah, the twins. How kind of you to join us," The Dark Lord said. We both bowed and sat down.

"Draco, an update on your progress?" he asked. Draco cleared his throat and looked up. "I'm still working on the cabinet. It's proving to be rather difficult. I made one attempt on Dumbledore's life but it-" he paused. "Yes?" The Dark Lord said. "I failed," he said quietly. The Dark Lord sighed heavily and I held Draco's hand under the table. "That's not what I'd hoped to hear," he said. "I know My Lord, but I will do it by the end of the year. I won't fail you." he said. The Dark Lord just smiled. "I'm sure you won't. But to be sure you have the proper motivation..." he started. He nodded and two death eaters walked over. They yanked Draco out of his chair and threw him on the floor. "Draco!" I yelled. Before I could help him, Mattheo had wrapped his arms around me and was holding me back. "Please My Lord, he's trying his best! You can't do this!" I yelled. Mattheo clamped his hand over my mouth and I continued to struggle in his arms. "Actually, I can," he said. He stood over Draco and drew his wand. "Crucio," he said. A light flashed and I heard Draco's screams. I turned away and I buried my face in Mattheo's chest.

After about 2 minutes, the screams stopped. The Dark Lord sat back down and I broke free from Mattheo's arms. I dropped to the floor next to Draco and cradled his head. His eyes were barely open and he was trembling. "Draco, can you hear me?" I whispered. He nodded. "Don't argue, please don't be stubborn." he whispered. I nodded and laid his head down gently. I stood up and faced The Dark Lord. he had a cruel smile on his face and I hated him.

"Now for you, Veronica, tell me how things are going with Potter," he said. I forced a smile. "It worked. He has no idea what Draco is up to." I said. He smirked at me. "Tell us how you did it," he said smugly. "Father-" Mattheo started. "I did what you told me to do. I made him fall in love with me." I said. "Did you drop to your knees for him too?" he asked. "Enough!" Mattheo yelled. He slammed his fists on the table. "Enough, she did what you asked and she just watched you torture her brother. You don't need to humiliate her for your own entertainment, I'm sure there's a muggle you can torture if you are bored and have the inclination. If that's all, we'll be going now." he snapped. His father just smirked and waved his hand. Mattheo pulled Draco up and helped him to his room. I shut the door and silenced the room and Mattheo laid Draco down on the bed.

"Draco, are you ok?" I asked. "I'm ok," he said. Mattheo came over and began to heal him. "He'll be ok," he said. I stayed quiet. "Veronica-" Mattheo said. "What?" I snapped. "How is this my fault?" he asked. "It's not. Ok? I'm sorry. I'm just so tired. I'm tired of getting hurt, of watching the people I love get hurt. A life of constant suffering isn't a life. Not one I want." I said. He was quiet. "You don't have a choice," he said. "Maybe I do." I said. He looked at me with confusion. Then he laughed. "What? Is this about Potter? You think being with him will keep you safe?" he asked. "No, I just-" I started. "Being with Potter paints a giant target on your back," he said. "And being with you doesn't!" I yelled. His face fell. "Mattheo, I love you. And I always will. I would never choose Potter over you. He's a task. Something I have to do if I want to stay alive. You...
You are so much more." I said.
He sighed and we sat down. I laid my head on his shoulder. "I know," he said quietly. We stayed there and I watched Draco sleep.