37

VERONICA MALFOY

We got to the bottom of the stairs and I reached for the door handle to the cellar. Draco grabbed my hand and I looked at him. " Are you sure about this Ronnie? We can turn around and walk back upstairs right now, just say the word." he said. "I need to do this Draco. I need to do this or I will never stop being afraid of them." I said. He nodded and I opened the door. it was cold. We walked in and Draco turned the lights on in the cellar. When the room filled with light, I saw them. Marcus and Adrian were chained with their arms above their head, almost hanging from the ceiling. They were both unconscious. I just stared at them. They were bruised and bloody. But, it wasn't me. I wasn't the helpless one. I wasn't the scared one, unable to defend myself. "Ronnie, are you ok?" Draco whispered. I nodded. "What happened to them?" I asked. "First it was Mattheo, then Theo, then Enzo, then me." he said. "You all-" I started. "They deserved it Ronnie. More than anyone in the world." he said. I nodded. "Should we go?" he asked. I nodded again. We turned to leave when I heard his voice. "Veronica." His voice was weak but still filled with darkness. I stopped in my tracks. "No Ronnie, whatever he has to say, you don't need to hear it." he said, pulling on my hand. "Veronica, love, look at me." he said. I turned around and Marcus was smiling at me. "Come on darling, this isn't us. I'm sorry I took you. I just missed you so much. I need you and you know you need me." he said. My heart started to race. That smile. That sick smile that controlled me for so long. "Let's go Ronnie, now." Draco said, trying to pull me away. "You know I'm right Ronnie. You know you won't be anything without me. Just let me go and we can take care of eachother. Just like we used to." he said. I shook my head. "You hurt me. You abused me and you- you did awful things to me." I said. "Veronica, You know I had to teach you how to respect me. And I know you wanted it. Now let me out of these chains and we can be together. I promise I won't hurt you ever again." he said. "Shut up Marcus." Draco spat. He pulled me harder. "Ronnie please let's go, you can't listen to him. Do not let him drag you back in." he whispered. "Draco why don't you let her decide for herself." Marcus said. "I told you to shut up." Draco said. "You always decide for her. Over everything. You never let her do anything for herself. Veronica is a very smart girl. Let her make this choice, don't you agree, Love?" he asked me. I was paralyzed. It was like everything he said made sense. But it couldn't be right. Right? "Veronica I love you. You don't need to be afraid. Just let me out." he said. I started to walk over to him and Draco grabbed my arm. "No." he said firmly. I pulled my arm from his grip and stood in front of Marcus. "That's it darling, now we can be together." he said. I pulled my wand and dug it into his neck. "You don't control me Marcus, not anymore. I'm not afraid of you." I said staring him down. "Fine! Then I don't love you anymore!" he said. I gave a small nod.

"I don't think you ever really did." I replied.

Then I turned around and walked out. Draco and I got to the top of the stairs and I hugged him. Tears fell down my cheeks and I choked back sobs. "I'm proud of you Ronnie." he whispered. He hugged me tighter and rubbed my back. "I'm so proud of you." he said. My crying ceased and Draco took me back to my room. "You should get some rest before dinner," he said. I nodded and climbed into bed. "Do you want me to stay until you fall asleep?" he asked. "Yeah." I said quietly. He sat on the chair next to my bed and I dozed off.

"What are you going to do with them?" I woke up to the sound of voices. It was Mattheo and Draco. I pulled a sweater over my dress and snuck down the hall. "I've made deals with both their families on behalf of my father." Mattheo said. "What kind of deal?" Draco asked. "The Flints get Marcus back and the Puecy's get Adrian back as long as when the time comes, they will serve him. They had to make an unbreakable vow." he said. "Bloody hell Mattheo." Draco mumbled. "She will be safe. I made one of the conditions of the vow that Marcus and Adrian are not allowed to speak, or go anywhere near her ever again." Mattheo said. "What happens if they do?" Draco asked. "They die." he said plainly. "What if-" Draco started.

"It doesn't matter now." I said walking in. They both looked at me quickly. "Ronnie, we were just-" Draco said. "I heard everything." I said. "Draco, give us a moment. I need to speak with Veronica." Mattheo said sternly. Draco looked at me and I nodded. "I'll go sever he wards and prepare our guests." he said and he headed for the cellar. Mattheo walked towards me and I stared at him. "You didn't even talk to me." I said. "I don't need to. It's my job to protect you. I don't need your permission on how I choose to do so." he said. "We are in a relationship, that's exactly how you should have handled it." I said. He was getting angry, but so was I. "Well it doesn't really matter does it? I specifically told you not to go down there and see them, but you did anyway." he said. "I don't need your permission." I said quoting him. "Yes, you do. I am your future king." he said. "And I'm your future queen." I said. "Then you'll learn to respect my decisions." he said."Respect goes both ways. I will not have a relationship like my parents... or like yours." I said. "I'm nothing like my father." he said. "Then why are you acting like him?" I asked. Then it happened. Before I could even think I felt the stinging as he backhanded me across the face. My hand went to my cheek and his face fell. "Veronica I-" he started. I turned around and ran out. I stood outside the gates of the manor and he ran after me. "Veronica, wait! Please, I'm sorry." he called out. "Don't come any closer." I said pointing my wand at him. "Please Veronica, I'm sorry. I lost my temper. I didn't-" he started. "No Mattheo. Leave me alone." I said. His face was full of hurt. "I'm sorry." he said sadly. "The people who hurt me are always are." I said. Before he could say anything else, I spoke. "Apparate." I said.